Education - What Needs to Be Done?

fractalfeline

Reaction score
@ xav0989
You're right, teens do try to grow up too fast. I mentioned this in the Reproductive Ethics thread but I'll say it here again: from a purely biological persepective, teens are fully adult by time they are about 16. But society treats them as if they are incapable of making their own decisions, incapable of dealing with responsibility, and such like that. In a way, it's somewhere in the middle. Yes, they are intelligent and aware, and can think for themselves, and handle problems, however they generally lack the Wisdom that comes from experience and the psychological maturity to handle it.

But how much of it is self-fulfilling prophecy? If the society and culture expect them to be unable to handle adult responsibility and have adult thinking patterns, then do they respond accordingly?

I think teens try very hard to show their parents, society, and everyone that they CAN be adult by attempting to do adult things, like work and sex. It comes from an underlying need to feel capable. No one really wants to think they are a useless child right?

But the point I was trying to get across was not the teens that work because they need a hobby, but work because it is necessary for the survival of their family. I mean the really poor families that need the extra income to pay the bills. The highest drop-out rate comes from teens from low-income families, and I would imagine the need to work to pay the bills is a rather large factor in the drop-out rate. There needs to be options for these teens to complete their education AND support the family.

rikere

Reaction score
Hm... Interesting point on wanting to grow up too fast... though I'm 16 and pretty content just as things are (though I admit, less homework would be a nice change of pace)

In my little corner of PA, adult responsibility is expected in school, so we don't even have to want things to speed up... My typical responsibilities: Stage Crew Events - small crew, lots of work ; ROTC - unit events, homework, spotless uniform, watching out for other cadets ; Honors Courses - take initiative and be perfect at all times... It doesn't like fitting into 24hrs a day...

On school's and location, I've seen a lot of schools via TSA and a 1 day exchange to Canada... Some of the best teachers I've had are the ones who aren't worried about their pay-check, which can mean being dirt cheap. While none of my teachers have disclosed their pay, its relatively assumable that they recieve similar ammounts... Out of 14 teachers a year in Junior High, I think I had maybe 8 I could mark "amazing" and the rest falling from "eh" to "I'd rather drop out than have him/her"...

I definitely agree about more time to hone in on a specialty... In my school for my grade we are give 48 periods to schedule with 30 some odd going to core classes and if you plan on college, then you don't stand a chance of using the rest of them for anything useful... I had 43 periods dead after taking telecoms, english, history, math, science, german and ROTC... I can't even put anything in that 5 period gap...

John Klyne

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Just because I like arguing....I replied in bold...

"For example, I believe that high school ought to be shortened, and the lesson plan more concentrated, and more directed towards developing skills and talents that students have earlier. If a student has a natural talent towards computer programming, there ought to be an option for the student to start learning about it sooner, and maybe get some college credit for it."You want a lesson plan more concentrated, I liked that idea a long time ago...but I like many others change what we want to be numerous times...so having a more concentrated intensive lesson plan for students will only limit what they can do in the future. Yea sure a student wants to be a writer and the kid takes english classes more instead of science classes...well...then 2 years into highschool, BAM the kid wants to become a scientist....what are you going to do?...There are reasons schools have broad lesson plans, so that when students change their mind, they can still continue towards their choice.Of course there are other reasons that tie in with this.

For every action there is a cause and an affect.
Well for every idea you come up with, it costs, the government should be trying to do the best of things, also measuring that what they do, does not cost more than the benefits...this is simple economics.

fractalfeline

Reaction score
Just because I like arguing....I replied in bold...

"For example, I believe that high school ought to be shortened, and the lesson plan more concentrated, and more directed towards developing skills and talents that students have earlier. If a student has a natural talent towards computer programming, there ought to be an option for the student to start learning about it sooner, and maybe get some college credit for it."You want a lesson plan more concentrated, I liked that idea a long time ago...but I like many others change what we want to be numerous times...so having a more concentrated intensive lesson plan for students will only limit what they can do in the future. Yea sure a student wants to be a writer and the kid takes english classes more instead of science classes...well...then 2 years into highschool, BAM the kid wants to become a scientist....what are you going to do?...There are reasons schools have broad lesson plans, so that when students change their mind, they can still continue towards their choice.Of course there are other reasons that tie in with this.

For every action there is a cause and an affect.
Well for every idea you come up with, it costs, the government should be trying to do the best of things, also measuring that what they do, does not cost more than the benefits...this is simple economics.

I think snshusat came up with a similar argument...? I don't envision a system that is limiting, rather a system that helps a student decide, and can give certain gifted students who know what they want an advantage. If you take some intensive programming courses, and decide "Gee, there's a lot in this line of work that I really don't like, and this really isn't something I want to do with my life," then there's still time to decide, before you graduate high school. Why waste all your money, (and possibly your parent's money) with indecision in college, where every class you take costs time and money? Every extra semester costs, and puts you further into debt, while you screw around trying to figure out what you want. In this system, where you are exposed to more "real life applicable" courses in high school, you can save valuable time and money in your decision making process. Dabble in programming, dabble in graphics, dabble in art, dabble in English Language Arts, and maybe you dabble in science and find that you really like it. By time you get to college, you know what you want.

And for the kids who know exactly what they want, try programming first, find they like it, it suits them perfectly... they get a head start. Simple.

Half-full vs Half-empty, if you will.