Microsoft to buy Yahoo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Synkc

Reaction score
Anyone heard the news? Microsoft has just made an offer to buy Yahoo for $44.6 billion!

If this offer goes ahead, which it seems it might, it should be interesting to see what direction Yahoo will head in.

Read the article here

darkangel1988

Reaction score
Microsoft to buy Yahoo? Nah nah. The two companies’ philosophies are different enough. They are two different organisms and merging is not such a smart thing to do. Perhaps they could collaborate on key areas where they feel threatened by Google.

Dan

Reaction score
$44.6 billion!!! I wish I was that rich....
Wouldn't that mean Microsoft also sort of taking over part of BT Internet in the UK seeing as that is partly run by Yahoo (Thats what I'm told...) ???

tittat

Reaction score
No chance...... but they may work together for their mutual benefit....

shawgsm

Reaction score
Why not google? Im wondering how much offer they would have for google if ever?

hmmmmmmmmmm...

alexandgruntz

Reaction score
Microsoft and Telecom NZ broke up on 1 March last year (they were together to provide XtraMSN, NZ's MSN page), and Telecom went with Yahoo!. This may mean that Microsoft and Telecom will get back together.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I heard about this proposal this morning. Looks like another big move by the money giants to take over the internets. Hopefully this means that my Premium Yahoo! Stuff I get from my ISP doesn't go away...

Derek

Community Support Force
Community Support
Reaction score
That's like 64-44 which is bill only has 20 billion left which brings him down as the richest man.. That mexican cell phone comapny owners currently the richest.

kajasweb

Reaction score
If Microsoft is going to BUY Yahoo!, then its the WORST for the internet users.
If Microsoft is going to work WITH Yahoo!, it MAY be good. Anything that Microsoft is related with, is a bad thing to use. So, I prefer Yahoo! to decline the proposal.

Xemnas

Reaction score
I bet if the purchase goes through, they'll re-jig the engine so it returns more hits on Vista and Xbox 360 ads ;)

Actually though, I don't see why Yahoo would say no to nearly $45 billion, but even if they refuse, if they end up working together it's likely Microsoft will make the most of what it's got, expand its internet marketing power and (possibly, eventually) drive Google out of the market. Which will be a huge advantage in the future, what with the format war and everything.

Last edited:

CroydonYOU

Reaction score
Heard the news on the radio - first thought I was dreaming and that the forces of darkness were clubbing together to make my life more miserable.

Then I realised that I was awake and thought about it a bit more: would Yahoo! be subsumed into M$, as happened to HoTMaiL all those many years ago, or would they be allowed to develop jointly and separately as differing users want different things from the two.

The prospect of merging the software suites and online services was too horrendous a prospect for rational thought at that hour of the morning.

I have at least three hats: one each for MSN, Yahoo! and Google, plus a few independent ones. I guess that most people will adopt the "wait & see" approach whilst others abandon ship for Google; which is where my loyalties are tending.

Who then will bid for whom?

MicroHoo/YaSoft! for Google or vice versa? What will be the resulting name of this agglomeration? MicroHooGle and GooHooSoft sound strangely tempting

oiwio

Reaction score
I just saw something on the news where google is saying that microsoft is just trying to "take over the internet" even though googles the one that bought out youtube AND myspace

Status
Not open for further replies.