My personal site

dazappa

Reaction score
Url: matt-shaffer.com
Hosted on x10hosting of course!

What it has:
100% of the content was made by me! All the software etc.
- Info about me
- Info about my other site
- 1 game I created
- 1 DLL I created
- 7 GameMaker examples
- 1 piece of software I created (Isteg, hides a zip file inside an image! Really cool)
- Quotes I found funny or quotes I liked.

What it needs:
- A background. I don't really have an idea for what kind of image it should look like, or if a solid color what the color should be.

Notes: I don't mess with css. This is built using tables.. and tables inside tables and tables inside tables inside tables (literally). I find tables extremely easy to use, and making the border invisible makes the site look just fine. The code for the site is also simple; I mean I don't need 400 lines of code to display this and I hate sites that do. As a result of small efficient coding, the site loads very fast! Yay! I also had a guestbook up for a few weeks.. and then it started getting pwned with spam - even after I activated a captcha. I had no choice but to close it down.

Last edited:

Sohail

Reaction score
Nice use of CSS, i think you could come up with a better color scheme, logo and add a few more graphics on it as it's a bit plain, you are also a bit low on content, without content, design is nothing!

4/10

Zdroyd

Reaction score
Wow a fellow GM user!

Sadly I could not get to your site. (Im burning a DVD and I want to use as little memory as posible.)

But its nice to see a fellow GM user on this site!

Conmiro

Reaction score
7/10 I think it could be a little bigger, and have a different color scheme. I like the quotes i like page. Its funny.

dazappa

Reaction score
Nice use of CSS, i think you could come up with a better color scheme, logo and add a few more graphics on it as it's a bit plain, you are also a bit low on content, without content, design is nothing!

4/10

>.> No css used, as said it is 100% hand-designed with tables. Yeah it's a bit plain, and I am working on one very major PHP script I'll add to it - a php ai script like igod. Has it's own installer, and currently under dev - has a very nice CP.
Anyway, yeah I like blue; not sure what other color scheme to use.. and no one suggested a background yet :p I like quotes 3 and 4. Yeah I use GM; and offline activation is the worst to get working (might go back to GM6) The examples on my site a very simple. But, they could be more complex, I've been using GM for almost 4 years! ;)

dazappa

Reaction score
Is anyone else getting a "Failed to Connect" error?
No, but maybe it will work if you try later?
And I "say it like it's a good thing" because I love tables :biggrin: easy to code + looks good. Besides that, I really really don't wanna learn css :p

delon

Banned
Reaction score
Site needs to be a little more broader, change the color scheme, change the header and please change the text color.

Overall Rating : 2/10
WORK HARD

dazappa

Reaction score
Site needs to be a little more broader, change the color scheme, change the header and please change the text color.

Overall Rating : 2/10
WORK HARD
Nearly everyone says to change the color scheme, but you don't say to what. I like blue; do you think a darker blue would look better? And the text color is black, unless you're talking about the links.

Dan

Reaction score
Very good site.
Try changing the font, maybe to Arial or something - I seriously don't like sites that use plain old Times New Roman. Also make the site wider I'd say and if you can a little longer. It seems too small sitting in the center at the top on it's own.
Maybe also try using more images in your pages, if you make it wider that would be easier and also add more colour to the page. About the colour scheme, try changing the background, instead of white to say a blue like the background of these forums. Then maybe try just white in your page with dark blue bits.

kkenny

Reaction score
I think if you add a little more images to your design it would look nicer, I mean the layout looks very nice! But it just needs a few images to add that sexy flair! (lol sexy)

6/10

dazappa

Reaction score
Images where? for the links? And I added another application to the software section "Easy shutdown" with at most 2 clicks you can shutdown windows! And yes, it works, and yes, it is pointless right now xD

mrmason

Reaction score
Great site for a programmer Matt. You have some really good programming talent at your age and if you keep at it I'm sure it can progess into a good source of income for you later on.

The design can be improved, but walk before you run.
I look forward to hopefully working with you on some projects.

dazappa

Reaction score
Great site for a programmer Matt. You have some really good programming talent at your age and if you keep at it I'm sure it can progess into a good source of income for you later on.

The design can be improved, but walk before you run.
I look forward to hopefully working with you on some projects.

Thanks! Did you look at index2.html? I'm trying to figure out what shades of blue people like most. I won 2nd place in the regional tech fair for my King of Lands website; and yeah I do like programming. (But, I really don't like math and from most people I've heard from it's almost a necessity to take higher math courses to get into computer sciences...) Ah well. I'm also trying to keep the number of sections low on the site; I hate when I go to a site and see like 500 links!