Review my site layout...

CJ023

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm kind of new to x10hosting and also to web design in general. I'm sorta learning as I go along. I have recently completed the layout for my site and need a few honest opinions on the look. Please check it out and let me know what you think. Also if you have suggestions please let me know as well.

***Please note that basically none of the information on the site is correct and most of the features are not working right now***

I just need an opinion on the current layout.....

http://www.creativesolution.x10hosting.com/newsite/index.html

Thanks,

Casey

j333f

Reaction score
I think it looks pretty nice, but here are a few things that could be tweaked.

1. The header logo doesnt match the background it is in, maybe try making the image larger so that you dont get a bg gradient with a logo sticking out.

2. Perhaps make the resolution/size of the middle/main part of the site bigger so that you dont have too much blank space on the outside.

3. The bottom text on the logo is a bit hard to read. Maybe sharpening will help.

Hope this helps!

sourfacedcyclop

Reaction score
Okay first, your title header thing is to low and it blocks the text. I would lose the ads on top and replace them with your header. Second, you should redo the text on your header, its kind of hard to read. Third, the color of the logo doesn't even match that of the header (its a solid color rather than an blend). Other than that I would say that it looks okay. I would think it needs to be a bit more noticeable if its a web design and graphic site though...

CJ023

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. It's only a start and something for me to play around with a bit. Over time, as I learn, I'm sure things will look better. I definitely plan on loosing the adds on top, and maybe the ones on bottom too not sure yet. As for the banner at the top, I know it definitly needs to be changed I just threw something together and stuck it there quickly. Any other suggestions?

thebabyhater

Reaction score
To be honest, I'm not a fan of it. The orange and silver is just grating on the eyes, and your layout is cramped and much of the text is off in the margin somewhere. Combine that with the fact that you have two huge banner ads (nothing wrong with advertising, mind ya), and it looks like a horrible ad-farm page.

If you really want to charge for web design, I'd suggest picking up some books on both web and color theory, and maybe even taking a class or two. I know this might seem harsh, but I'm only speaking my mind. Please don't take offense.

sourfacedcyclop

Reaction score
I don't really think classes are that important. I've learned everything I know without any schooling, or books in less than a couple of years. I like to just visit other sites, note what I like and don't like about them, and how they look from a viewers standpoint and go from there. I don't copy the layout by any means, but I use it as a sort of measuring stick to compare mine to. Sites like http://www.w3schools.com/ and http://www.csszengarden.com/ are great resources to use.

CJ023

Reaction score
What browser is everyone using? I'm aware that the banner does'nt blend in with the backround well but when I view the site the text looks fine and is right where it's supposed to be. Also, definitly not planning on charging anyone for anything anytime soon...

sourfacedcyclop

Reaction score
Ummm...Seamonkey, Firefox, IE sometimes, and I just installed Google Chrome. It depends on my mood :).

CJ023

Reaction score
Ok, well again I appreciate all of the suggestions. I'm going to change things around a bit tonight and will repost when I'm done. If anyone wants to check it out late tonight or tomorrow and let me know if it's any better that would be great! Also, keep the suggestions comming in it really helps to hear what other people think.

freecrm

Reaction score
Must admit, I have to agree with the commetns above - I use IE6, IE7, Firefox, Chrome for testing.

I quite like the orange but the header image text is just.... wrong! Try a complementary contrasting colour, rather than the mix you currently have. In addition (I know I keep saying this) keep your text font type the same throughout - A mix look unprofessional and uncohesive.

CJ023

Reaction score
Well unfortunitly I was not able to upload the changes I made last night because I'm having problems login into cpannel and also with FTP. I submitted a ticket and will upload the changes as soon as I can... I want to know if everyone likes it better now that I have used all of your suggestions and fixed it up a bit. I am really having problems getting a new banner for the top together because I'm completely unexperienced with photoshop and am still trying to learn. I can't seem to get the image to blend in with the backround of the site. Any suggestions on this?

vol7ron

Reaction score
To be honest, I'm not a fan of it. The orange and silver is just grating on the eyes, and your layout is cramped and much of the text is off in the margin somewhere. Combine that with the fact that you have two huge banner ads (nothing wrong with advertising, mind ya), and it looks like a horrible ad-farm page...

CJ, Just so you're not confused, orange and grey go together real well. thebabyhater is just pointing out that the way you're using it (the shading of the colors and how they're blending) are not implemented well.

The majority of your site is not bad. You should remove the top Google ad (it's pushing down your title image) and then concentrate on cleaning up your title image. Fix that and then ask questions from there.

CJ023

Reaction score
Ok so I changed the graphic banner at the top and got rid of the add. I think it looks much better now.... but it still needs a lot of work.

Do you all like the new graphic or is it just as bad, if not worse, than the other? Let me know and be honest.

http://www.creativesolution.x10hosting.com

xPlozion

Reaction score
too much orange. imo it doesn't look good. experiment w/ other colors other than orange, or tone it down a bit ;)

also, not a big fan of the font used in the logo

vol7ron

Reaction score
Ok so I don't mind the orange so much. I think it's just personal opinion. It can also be how it looks on the different monitors.

Some tips to clean up the title image may be:
- either, don't glow the white text at the bottom, or add a black stroke to outline the text. the white text with a white glow makes it look unclear
- the black text probably needs a glow or a white stroke given that the background color is orange
- make the main title a thicker font

that being said, i like all the other changes that were made. it looks a lot cleaner and a lot more organized

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
The header image is too cramped. And, as I've said to someone else: it looks like it was made by a 5 -year-old; using MS paint.

I'll write a more thorough review later today.

Last edited: