Should old games be legal to download?

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Yeah, games should be free after they've become obsolete and have become production shelved.

No, games should be free either after the developer has gone bust, or after they have released it as such. It'd be nice if the developer/publisher/whatever released the games as freeware after 5-10 years instead of republishing them as 'best of' series', but that's not probable. Rockstar did with GTA1/2.

Last edited:

achilleasgr

Prime Account
Reaction score
There will never, ever be a law that forces software or games to be free however old they may be.
Now if some game developers/publishers choose to give their product for free at some time and for some reason (for example to advertise a new version that is out or will be out soon) is another thing.
For example, rockstar is already giving GTA I away for free.

lance4681

Reaction score
I own GTA 1 on play-station one original box and I still have all the maps that it came with :happysad:. Now I can see why it would be cool if games were given out for free but I can also see why that will never happen. I don't think that games however old should loss copy right ect.

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
http://www.rockstargames.com/classics/

The Rockstar Classics collection is our series of complimentary full PC game downloads, provided exclusively to members of the Rockstar Games mailing list. These games, each available free of charge and optimized for play on modern PCs, offer a nostalgic trip back in time to the early days of the Rockstar legacy.

Haavdwee

Reaction score
I think old games that dont get sold anymore should be free AND legal to be downloaded. If nobody can make profit of it, then why wont you allow this??