Worst thing ever happened to your computer

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
So what's the worst thing that's happened to anyones computer?

Today I woke up to fine a 260gb log file, and couldn't shut it down until 280gb! It was doing about 1gb a minute, I worked out it has a total of 5343656617 errors (wc -l). Still working with the author of the script to work out what caused it XD

~Callum

vishal

-::-X10 Guru-::-
Community Support
Reaction score
Whatttttttttt ??????? OMG!!!! sounds strange

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Things that "happened", or things I've done? The "happened" category has involved things like inadvertent catastrophic flight testing of a $7500 laptop, complete with scored disk platters after impact, due to a wet-ice-under-snow situation on a Toronto sidewalk. "Things I've done" involve smoke-emitting serial port experiments, bricking motherboards during BIOS updates, and devoting nine clustered servers to the task of sending mail to a single user for two hours (my autorespond script, his "out of office" messages, twin T3 lines and fail-over at both ends -- OUCH!).

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Well, it did teach me the value of testing "impossible" things in a separate testing evironment before releasing to production...

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
and devoting nine clustered servers to the task of sending mail to a single user for two hours (my autorespond script, his "out of office" messages, twin T3 lines and fail-over at both ends -- OUCH!).

I'm having the hardest time deciding if that is Epic Win or Epic Fail.

My C# eightball says Epic Win though XD

Worst thing here was a trojan horse somehow getting into a system that -wasn't- being used. Firewall was on, the whole 10 yards. It got in god only knows how - the system was acting as a wifi hub for my house but Mac Address limited, blah blah blah. Still not a clue how it got on there - every system in the house other than that one was clean. It was running the same OS, Firewall, and Antivirus apps as the other 2 systems as well.

No Cd's, no DVD's, no flash drives. Just a pinpoint attack on that system, somehow.

Gouri

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Once I was checking a Linux live CD inside the Windows using Some emulator kind software. Which reinitialized the HDD.

So Partition Table gone. Once restarted The system won't reboot, The bad thing is It is 1TB full of DATA in that 200GB is my personal Data which is very important.

But somehow I managed to restore the Partition Table which recovered the Primary Partition and then using some tools and rebuilt the Table again and got the full Data back.

At one point I thought entire Data has gone. :)

Gouri

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
lucky XD

~Callum

Yeah

I don't want to repeat this, That is why I thought to separate the OS Partitions and purchased a new SSD. It is in transit. :)

Last edited:

bhupendra2895

Reaction score
Just two months back my system's SMPS got damaged, so I took it to service center, they didn't repaired it in time and two days later they gave me new SMPS, So I connected it to my destop's cabinet.When I connected the sata power port to hard disk, I saw smoke.It made my hard disk damaged and I didn't stop here, I connected it to DVD writer and I saw the smoke again and it got damaged too.Well I had another DVD writer, which is old and behaves like CD reader.So I connected it with another sata power port in that and this time, I didn't saw any smoke emitting out of its sata power port, so I figured out how to remove this short circuit error without repairing SMPS.I used the warranty claim and my DVD writer and HDD were replaced by respective companies with in 15 days.In this incident I had to lose my data in HDD including my web projects and till 15 days I used live CD of ubuntu 9.04 to access net and running xampp using a USB flash drive and you won't believe me I am using that smps till now without getting it repaired.

cheezo

Reaction score
worst thing that happen to mycomputer was it restarts automatically but during its boot, it won't go thru but restart again. :D

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I am the worst thing that happen to my computer :)

gameshell3d71

Reaction score
devoting nine clustered servers to the task of sending mail to a single user for two hours (my autorespond script, his "out of office" messages, twin T3 lines and fail-over at both ends -- OUCH!).
That is one epic fail :eek:

Worst thing that happened to my PC (IIRC) is that my motherboard mysteriously got bricked, never found out why. Lucky it wasn't a new PC, just an old D915GAV P4 motherboard that was easy to replace.

stpvoice

Community Support Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
The worst thing that ever happened to my computer was windows vista :D.

krofunk

Reaction score
@stpvoice DAMN you got there first :p (jks)

umm I think the worst thing to ever happen to my computer (win7) was when a mysterious partition appeared on my primary hard disk, it appeared to be empty so I looked at it in the disk management console - it showed it as a system partition that couldn't be deleted with a capacity of 250gb (0gb) used.

It was a real wtf moment, I already had a data partition so this was pointless - my instant response was to crack out the ubunutu live cd and remove it with gparted, killed the system :( an even bigger wtf moment.

when I restored the partition form my back up all was fine again, my solution in the end was to resize it and ignore it. so to this day in the "computer" window it shows 3 drives "system 80gb, data 250gb, stupid system thing 8mb"

it still annoys me though and I have no idea what it is :rolleyes:

sperko

Reaction score
Worst thing that happened to me was, well...

Learning what "empty recycle bin" means when you accidently delete 20gb of word documents that couldn't be recovered.

Back in the day when I was first learning about computers. :D

Reaction score
Funny I read this now, recently the screen on my laptop died, luckily still within warranty though. On top of that I also had a WD raptor (an old 74Gb one) in my desktop die on me, again I was lucky to have it in a raid 1 otherwise I would've lost some very important data. And those things were both within the same week, I really feel like I dodged a bullet or something xD