Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Wii?

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

imaran

Reaction score
But doesn't that involve voiding warranty? :D

No, there is a place in the PS3's original operating system that gives you the option to install other operating systems. as for usb ports, it comes standard with 4.

Shawnsta do you even have a ps3? Please don't say things like "Mostly main reason why people like ps3 is cause of the new online update's and stuff." if you don't. The games (especially on high def tv's) are far beyond what ps2 could do. The game play with some of the motion sensing is a whole higher level of fun that ps2 couldn't reach. There are also great originals and most ps3s that are out can play ps2 games (outside of the new 40gb variety). On top of that changing the R2/L2 buttons to triggers is a HUGE help. Besides all of that, you can watch blu-ray movies on it (which is the best HD format). You also don't need memory cards, saving is done by account. Which is really nice and makes it pretty fool proof (no more losing a memory card or mixing it up with a friends).

It is also nice having it come standard with wireless internet connectibility. On top of that the fact that it has so much space and you can store 45+ demos on it at once, is quite a nice perk(well a bit less for the 40gb version).

Also people with psps can connect them to their ps3s, it's pretty awesome being able to remotely play most of the ps3's content on a psp (i have a friend who does it at work, his ps3 being at home).

Last edited:

Shawnsta

Reaction score
lol dude, its true.
Edit:
No, there is a place in the PS3's original operating system that gives you the option to install other operating systems. as for usb ports, it comes standard with 4.

Shawnsta do you even have a ps3? Please don't say things like "Mostly main reason why people like ps3 is cause of the new online update's and stuff." if you don't. The games (especially on high def tv's) are far beyond what ps2 could do. The game play with some of the motion sensing is a whole higher level of fun that ps2 couldn't reach. There are also great originals and most ps3s that are out can play ps2 games (outside of the new 40gb variety). On top of that changing the R2/L2 buttons to triggers is a HUGE help. Besides all of that, you can watch blu-ray movies on it (which is the best HD format). You also don't need memory cards, saving is done by account. Which is really nice and makes it pretty fool proof (no more losing a memory card or mixing it up with a friends).

It is also nice having it come standard with wireless internet connectibility. On top of that the fact that it has so much space and you can store 45+ demos on it at once, is quite a nice perk(well a bit less for the 40gb version).

Also people with psps can connect them to their ps3s, it's pretty awesome being able to remotely play most of the ps3's content on a psp (i have a friend who does it at work, his ps3 being at home).
PS3'S Aint worth it.

Last edited:

imaran

Reaction score
i'll take that as a no, you don't own one. i was skeptical about how much i'd like it and if i spent too much money when i first bought it, but once i got into it's games, demos and other functions i couldn't be more pleased. almost the exact same way i did with my ps2.

Shawnsta

Reaction score
Dude, Imaran, If your gonna by 1 wouldnt you rather buy a XBOX360!?
I mean come on, they get like same game's most of the time and ****.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score

Which makes the PC better anyways as you can do whatever you want to it, especially if you build your own by swapping out hardware/operating systems and not having to really worry about breaking the warranty :D

Also, wouldn't installing an operating system on a PS3 involve modding it to use a Windows bootloader instead of loading into the PS3's Operating System on-board, which would ultimately kill the warranty if the PS3 did break that bad?

Last edited:

Shawnsta

Reaction score
Which makes the PC better anyways as you can do whatever you want to it, especially if you build your own by swapping out hardware/operating systems and not having to really worry about breaking the warranty :D

Also, wouldn't installing an operating system on a PS3 involve modding it to use a Windows bootloader instead of loading into the PS3's Operating System on-board, which would ultimately kill the warranty if the PS3 did break that bad?

I gotta agree with your 1st paragragh dude, Thats what i like about most PC!

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
And that's like the first argument I've won in 2 months lol.

imaran

Reaction score

Once more NO MODIFYING NEEEDED. INSTALLING OPERATING SYSTEMS COMES STANDARD ON PS3s. It is a default option on EVERY PS3 on their menu in their operating system. From there it asks you to insert the cd for installation. I just said that a couple posts ago. You do not break the warranty adding a new hard drive, in fact they encourage you to do so. You couldn't modify your computer enough to equal the ps3. They don't make 9 core processors for home PCs. The most you can buy is a quad-core as far as i've seen. You'd have to buy a $2,000 graphics card to equal what the ps3 has. the RAM is the only place you'd be able to beat the ps3.

Guess you'll have to wait another few months to win an argument.

As for why not buy a 360, why would I want to buy a machine that keeps failing? Not only that but PS3 has better 2008 games that will put it way ahead in the overall quality game market. Additionally PS3 has more power and their games will only keep improving where the 360 isn't that big a leap from the xbox, basically they added the HD option and slightly upped the power. Once you pay for xboxlive, you're only talking a $15 difference in price between ps3 and 360. after you ship it to them to get it fixed you've taken a $5 loss vs. the ps3. And thats the first time it breaks.

Last edited:

Stormscape

Reaction score
"They don't make 9 core processors for home PCs. The most you can buy is a quad-core as far as i've seen. You'd have to buy a $2,000 graphics card to equal what the ps3 has."
I call FUD. A GeForce 8800 Series easily surpasses a PS3 in terms of quality.
And regarding the PS3 CPU:
"Compared to a modern personal computer, the relatively high overall floating point performance of a Cell processor seemingly dwarfs the abilities of the SIMD unit in desktop CPUs like the Pentium 4 and the Athlon 64. However, comparing only floating point abilities of a system is a one-dimensional and application-specific metric. Unlike a Cell processor, such desktop CPUs are more suited to the general purpose software usually run on personal computers. In addition to executing multiple instructions per clock, processors from Intel and AMD feature branch predictors. The Cell is designed to compensate for this with compiler assistance, in which prepare-to-branch instructions are created. For double-precision, as often used in personal computers, Cell performance drops by an order of magnitude, but still reaches 14 GFLOPS."
For one thing, it's 7 virtual CPUs and 1 main CPU. So you couldn't even get your numbers right. It looks to me that PS3 games have to be engineered in a extremely certain ways to use Cell Processors, which is what the PS3 CPU is. Such micro-engineering is not good in the long run, resulting in longer development cycles, as seen with GTAIV, which was pushed back six months because of the PS3.

imaran

Reaction score
"They don't make 9 core processors for home PCs. The most you can buy is a quad-core as far as i've seen. You'd have to buy a $2,000 graphics card to equal what the ps3 has."
I call FUD. A GeForce 8800 Series easily surpasses a PS3 in terms of quality.
And regarding the PS3 CPU:
"Compared to a modern personal computer, the relatively high overall floating point performance of a Cell processor seemingly dwarfs the abilities of the SIMD unit in desktop CPUs like the Pentium 4 and the Athlon 64. However, comparing only floating point abilities of a system is a one-dimensional and application-specific metric. Unlike a Cell processor, such desktop CPUs are more suited to the general purpose software usually run on personal computers. In addition to executing multiple instructions per clock, processors from Intel and AMD feature branch predictors. The Cell is designed to compensate for this with compiler assistance, in which prepare-to-branch instructions are created. For double-precision, as often used in personal computers, Cell performance drops by an order of magnitude, but still reaches 14 GFLOPS."
For one thing, it's 7 virtual CPUs and 1 main CPU. So you couldn't even get your numbers right. It looks to me that PS3 games have to be engineered in a extremely certain ways to use Cell Processors, which is what the PS3 CPU is. Such micro-engineering is not good in the long run, resulting in longer development cycles, as seen with GTAIV, which was pushed back six months because of the PS3.

it's 7 cpus, 1 main cpu and 1 for "redundancy"(or if later on there is more strain on the system the other will take some of the load). check your sources. also when ps3 was released at that time it was announced that it was the equiv. of 2 $1000 graphics cards, however now a year later it could be more like $1500 total or something i guess. i won't debate that the 8800 could have more quality, but it wouldn't be based on sheer power, it would have to depend on which version/who made it really.

as far as development goes, there were challenges with the PS2 too and eventually the developers adapted, they will here too.

source for the processors is directly from sony at ps3's original release. cost for graphics card was a "neutral" site (no matter what there always seems to be some bias somehow).

Last edited:

Stormscape

Reaction score
Sony will say anything to make people think their console is the best thing since the Atari 2600. What you really need is solid numbers proving the hot air behind the press releases or they don't mean anything.

Ub3|2 5oIDaT

Reaction score
I gotta vote for the PS2 mainly because besides my computer its all I have. I love RE4 on it.

imaran

Reaction score
the ps3 has won every one of these that i've seen on here. one of which had well over 100 votes and PS3 won by maybe 10.

imaran

Reaction score
i liked the original xbox more for shooters, largely in part because of the S controller. too bad there wasn't a Gears of War or COD4 for it. I'm just glad PS3 got Uncharted and COD4 :). I could take or leave resistance but Uncharted(ps3 only) and COD4(also for 360) are great.