Linux VS Windows

sclewin

Reaction score
Just about all games by ID work natively in linux.

Also, Nexiuz and many other open source games work natively on Linux as well as, one of my favorite games, NeverWinter Nights.

Also, I don't know if anyone haves mentioned but Cedega works very well. Cedega is a version of wine that specializes in video games and many windows games can be played in Linux using Cedega without any use of an emulator.

F

Fahad

I agree with you buddy. I am not saying that Linux is only for advanced users. What I'm saying is windows is easy for a new comer. For example, Take a newbie, who wants to learn computers for the first time. Give him Windows and Linux and let him tryout. Chances are, he likes Windows than Linux. Because the windows UI is more user friendly. Of course, it doesn't mean that Linux is not user frinedly. But Windows is more user friendly. I tried different Linux versions like Fedora Core, Ubuntu linux etc., and thats just what I believe.

And about the cost concept, Take webhosting packages, You will find everywhere that Linux hosting is cheaper compared to Windows hosting. And Linux is freely availabe for personal users. I just used this concept for comparing costs.

Well, I am talking about the personal users friend. I don't know much about corporate usage. But thanks for your comment.

And What I mean an advanced user is, someone who has experince in computers and a littlebit networking, to use the Complete Power Of Linix.
And most of Linux's power lies in its commands(you can't find this in Windows, whether in commands or in GUI).

Personally I Love Linux.

The point I am going to make comes up in GNOME vs. KDE, C vs. C++, etc. etc. etc. wars. If you start off with Linux, you will be more comfortable with Linux! However if you start off as most people do, with Windows, you will be more accustommed to Windows. Also with GNOME and KDE wars, C vs. C++, etc. etc. etc. wars, people can easily switch, and the other side will soon seem totally alien to them, as someone else said in this thread!

That said, I used to use Windows, and now I use Linux. I also used to use KDE, but I am now hard-set with GNOME. I have never tried C, only C++ on that side, but I transitioned to C++ from Visual Basic .NET, and I transitioned to that from Autoit Script! When I still used Windows, but used C++, Visual Basic .NET and Autoit Script were forgotten about. (of course I use Linux now, and so I can't use those)
This post came to you from Ubuntu 8.04 beta!

Last edited by a moderator:

HomerJ

Reaction score
The point I am going to make comes up in GNOME vs. KDE, C vs. C++, etc. etc. etc. wars. If you start off with Linux, you will be more comfortable with Linux! However if you start off as most people do, with Windows, you will be more accustommed to Windows. Also with GNOME and KDE wars, C vs. C++, etc. etc. etc. wars, people can easily switch, and the other side will soon seem totally alien to them, as someone else said in this thread!

That said, I used to use Windows, and now I use Linux. I also used to use KDE, but I am now hard-set with GNOME. I have never tried C, only C++ on that side, but I transitioned to C++ from Visual Basic .NET, and I transitioned to that from Autoit Script! When I still used Windows, but used C++, Visual Basic .NET and Autoit Script were forgotten about. (of course I use Linux now, and so I can't use those)
This post came to you from Ubuntu 8.04 beta!

I agree entirely. I started with Windows, and when I switched to Linux, I found it alien and confusing. The whole multi-user thing really got me confused, and I was not accustomed to CLI at all. The GUIs I found similar enough to Windows though, and at the time I was using Suse Linux, which required very little command-line usage.

Once I realized the value in a multi-user OS, and understood what the difference between the root account and regular users were, I was suddenly hooked. I switched to Gentoo and use the CLI constantly. Now, Windows seems incredibly non-user-friendly and bash is suddenly intuitive.

Of course, GUI user friendliness is pretty much moot. Take GNOME, KDE, Xfce, and Windows explorer and they are all pretty much the same. Other X11 windows managers and desktops can take some adjustment, but they are usually not used by beginners anyways.

fabpro

Reaction score
Whats better Linux or Windows?

For the sake of simplicity, include any Posix compliant as Linux.
Linux is a scientific operating system developed “source code free” by people around the world. It’s back ground is Unix which was developed around 38 years ago.
Other types of this family are Solaris, Aix, HPUX and so on.

Windows is a rip off commercial toy developed by Microsoft for the mainstream and is very versatile for playing games and general public has been forced to get used to it.

Even Apple OSX is a UNIX machine derived from Berkley UNIX and I find the interface a lot nicer than windows.

So yes depends on what you would like to do and which way would be a cheapest way for you to get to your objective. All the machines do the general stuff like word processing, account keeping, printing, email, multimedia, equally good but if you want to specialize then you should think a bit deeper.

F

Fahad

I started off with SlackWare Linux, which uses the command line interface quite a bit. I actually got used to the Bourne Shells, until I noticed there was a command called "startx"!

wolf693

Reaction score
Oh, hard choice for me. I like Windows because it's what I've used for almost my whole life. It's simple for me to use and I know a lot of techniques. I like Linux because it's an effective server OS and very powerful, but not user friendly.

gamingevolved

Reaction score
It personally all depends on what you are planning to do with the computer you have.

If you are going to be running a home server, I would definitely have a separate box with a good brand of Linux on it [I personally like RedHat].

If you are the casual computer user, or a hardcore gamer, I would definitely go with Windows. And for versions of Windows, I would highly suggest Windows XP Professional until Windows Vista is cleaned up and becomes less of a resource hog.

But in conclusion, I would say Windows as most people with a computer don't run a home server.

Derek

Community Support Force
Community Support
Reaction score
I would go for OSX but I have windows.

Sohail

Reaction score
I would have to say Linux, i like to use Fedora Core 7 which i installed on my PS3.

noerrorsfound

Reaction score
If you are the casual computer user, or a hardcore gamer, I would definitely go with Windows. And for versions of Windows, I would highly suggest Windows XP Professional until Windows Vista is cleaned up and becomes less of a resource hog.
Linux would be perfect for a "casual computer user." Those are exactly the type of people who would benefit from a more secure OS without having problems with needing certain programs to work ("casual user" I'm assuming to mean someone who uses the Internet and maybe a word processor or spreadsheet program).

stealth_thunder

Reaction score
Each operating currently have different advantages....

Linux is basically for people who mostly want more security, more open source freedom and those that does not like windows os system because too many things to understand....

On the point of my view I prefer Linux when I surfing the internet... opening a removable drive... to check for any hidden files... this is one strong point of linux... and mac.... because both are not affected much by windows attribution properties....

Linux is a relaxing operating system... if you are just a beginners you can just surf around the internet... use their free image tools editors to edit the photos.... or create pictures.... or play some board games.... listening to music or watching video....

I only use windows when I doing some programming languages... or basically need to run ms office 2007 due to the docx.... which are not compatible with Open Office 2.4....

Windows will require more attention like... security what type of firewall should I be using... what type of antivirus to use... they type of security approach I am going and what will be the benefit and consequences... which I have to understand...

Do I need to update my device drivers... on windows.... and many things to worry about....

mcorp

Reaction score
I would never go back to using windows. I'm currently running
Fedora core 6 and am in the process of getting ready to install
core 8. I've absolutely loved it since the day I installed it. I love
the looks, smoothness, open source software, security, flexibility
etc.

It does stink that certain games don't run very well on linux, although
I'm not much of a gamer myself, my 8 year old daughter is... I would
like to install linux on her computers but unfortunately most of her games
wont run well with linux.

Res

DeadBattery

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
If I was going to run a complete website, I'd start using Linux only because
a) it is a lot better.
b) who likes windows' theme? I hate it!
c) Some types of files are not supported well on windows, but they are on linux!
So if I had a choice between installing windows or linux, I'd get linux!
:)

sclewin

Reaction score
I only use windows when I doing some programming languages...

That is a very odd statement. Most people say the oposite as many people use Linux as a development platform and Linux is a much stronger platform for development. Personally, I do all my development on Linux, Python, PHP/MySQL, and C.

or basically need to run ms office 2007 due to the docx.... which are not compatible with Open Office 2.4....
That is because M$ decided to change their dox type again, which is another reason why not to supposrt M$. Thankfully OpenOffice 3 will have full support for the new M$ file types.