HELP! Reformatting my iPod

ZeptOr

Reaction score
I use my iPod as both an mp3 player and an external hardrive. I needed to put a file that was larger than 4 gigs on my iPod so I can transfer it to another computer, only the FAT32 format doesn't allow files over 4 gigs.

So I tried reformatting it to NTFS but it was taking too long, so I cancelled it and now my iPod won't even show up in my computer. I also can't turn it on. before I started reformatting it, I took all the files.. ALL the files.. and copied them to my desktop so I wouldn't lose them. I figure the iPod can't be read by my computer becuase there were so important files I took out.. only I can't put them back in.

Help.. please?

CuteKate400

Reaction score
lol, just reformat back to FAT32 and it should be all fine. To make it quicker use the quick format option. Otherwise you may have corrupted the iPod in which case you may need to visit an Apple Retailer.

componentwarehouse

Reaction score
Yeah, dont have an IPod, but formatting an MP3 player is a bad thing to do. Did you check to see if IPod supported the NTFS format before you started?

CuteKate400

Reaction score
Yeah, dont have an IPod, but formatting an MP3 player is a bad thing to do. Did you check to see if IPod supported the NTFS format before you started?

lol wtf are you talking about? Are you serious? I have both an iPod and an MP3 player and you can format your MP3 player anytime and its not bad.

Also because your formating your iPod's hard disk you will need to use this tutorial to make it work like an iPod again.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61671

Next time please do use Google.

ZeptOr

Reaction score
lol, just reformat back to FAT32 and it should be all fine. To make it quicker use the quick format option. Otherwise you may have corrupted the iPod in which case you may need to visit an Apple Retailer.

my computer doesn't read my ipod anymore.. so how am i going to reformat it back to FAT32?

Next time please do use Google.

And I did search Google

Dan

Reaction score
Go onto the Apple site and get in touch with them. The guy I spoke to when my iPod broke was quite helpful.
Oh and what sort of file is over 4gb?????