Textmate vs Dreamweaver

zacheri

Reaction score
I've read on another forum that they would prefer textmate over dreamweaver, I was wondering how could that be... Because everytime I tried to research through the Internet on the top web developing softwares, dreamweaver is always included on the top 5 and textmate rarely reach the top. Can anybody shed light on this. :dunno:

crisp

Reaction score
Textmate's a text editor, used for hand writing code, whereas dreamweaver, as a WYSIWYG editor, actually writes the code for you. They're two different things really. The poster recommending textmate would be referring to hand coding their site, which is better (IMO) as all wysiwyg editors tend to be chock-full of unnecessary crap. Don't get me wrong, DW's great if you're not much use at html and css, but you'd be better off learning to 'roll your own' in the long run.

jjpeacha

Reaction score
Yes, textmate is really for more advanced web designers who don't like the code dreamweaver generally comes up with for you. I use things like textmate to create my sites because I feel i have more control over it.

I also found that Dreamweavers auto code (where it automatically finishes the code you were writing for you) a tad annoying. Some of the code it uses too are a bit bloated imo.

The reason Dreamweaver is really high in the Search engines is because it is offered by adobe which offer alot of high end professional products so of course it would be that high, however things like text mate are only really used by more hardcore designers; however I'm not saying that a total newb at web design couldn't pick it up and use it.

zacheri

Reaction score
Hi jjpeacha, you mean I can also try it on my own, I mean can it also be self-learned? Is it possible to design using the Dreamweaver and use the Textmate to clean up the codes?

GBH187

Reaction score
Personally I can't see why you would want to use anything more complex than notepad, admittedly it is rather expensive and comes with a lot of bloat (windows) but it has a stylish black text on white background, search, find&Replace and save features.

For linux users I recommend Nano, I have a Mug that has VI editor command codes printed on it but Nano is just so much easier and lets face it if you know how to use all the commands in VI or Emacs you probably dont need a recomendation on a new editor.

I actually haven't done any coding on my macbook, as I do most of mine via ssh on a linux server using Nano.

I'm sure nano is avaliable for the mac tho.

jjpeacha

Reaction score
Hi jjpeacha, you mean I can also try it on my own, I mean can it also be self-learned? Is it possible to design using the Dreamweaver and use the Textmate to clean up the codes?
Yes you could if you wanted to! :biggrin:

Chetz

Reaction score
I've always used Dreamweaver due to the ease of use, and I never really do any hardcore coding.

It depends what kind of site you'd like to create I guess.

port5900

Reaction score
Let me simplify this thread. When he says "hardcore coding" he means stuff like java, PHP, SQL, and so on. I found my work flow much to be like this, I would use dreamweaver to get the site started, images and layout. Then when i have to tweek my code i would launch notepad to fix the back end stuff. If you want to know which one to start with it dont matter. nether will make your site any better. I seen crappy sites coming out of TextMate and DW.

JuniorD

Reaction score
its doesn't exactly edit the code for you. dreamweaver is really helpful when make html, and thats about it. I think it's better than textmate because if you get really stuck and you cant remember that one word of code, you can search it on its word database. ;P

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
I'm moving this to Scripts & 3rd Party Apps, it's a better place for this thread. Anyway, personally, I prefer Dreamweaver. I like the UI, I like the functionality.

-Luke.

* Thread Moved *

Trigintillion

Reaction score
I actually write my code in Notepad because I completely control what I'm writing and how I'm writing it. I've also started using the MS Visual Web Developer software, which is essentially the same as Dreamweaver but has ASP.NET support. It also shows minor errors and such.

Dreamweaver code is too automated for me. It does things its own way and when I want to do something exactly my way, it doesn't do it. Granted, it writes Javascript, which I, being a starting programmer, can't do, but its code is very heavy when doing this. Plus, I have my own organization system (markup in the file, such as indentations and spacing), which Dreamweaver does differently.

I say that any program that you can use to simply edit the code is fine. Dreamweaver is expensive and very large, while Notepad is tiny, free, and already installed.

Shellshockr

Reaction score
Textmate is far too baic for any complex design or programming integration. Dreamweaver has always been prefered by professonals.

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
I actually write my code in Notepad because I completely control what I'm writing and how I'm writing it. I've also started using the MS Visual Web Developer software, which is essentially the same as Dreamweaver but has ASP.NET support. It also shows minor errors and such.

Dreamweaver code is too automated for me. It does things its own way and when I want to do something exactly my way, it doesn't do it. Granted, it writes Javascript, which I, being a starting programmer, can't do, but its code is very heavy when doing this. Plus, I have my own organization system (markup in the file, such as indentations and spacing), which Dreamweaver does differently.

I say that any program that you can use to simply edit the code is fine. Dreamweaver is expensive and very large, while Notepad is tiny, free, and already installed.

I write PHP and JS at times, and find Dreamweaver's indentation ideal for this. For example, when I hit return it automatically indents my text for me. The code highlighting is brilliant too, HTML and PHP in the same file works without any problems. I don't use any of the default templates though, the same way I don't rely on any external stuff with any of the websites I run. I don't use its code to embed flash files either, it's a non-valid mess.

But I prefer the code highlighting and UI. Plus I got it as part of Creative Suite, which is pretty cheap for what you get by today's standards.

-Luke.