Microsoft vs. The World

psgalaxy91

Reaction score
Why do most people loathe Microsoft? They say their products don't work, bash Vista, and pretty much blame them for their computer problems. I'm not saying apple sucks or anything, but Microsoft doesn't suck either. -.- It's usually operator error when someone can't get something to work, but of course they can't admit it so they have to lay the blame on a scapegoat. (Microsoft) IDK why, but this really pisses me off. :rant2:

alexandgruntz

Reaction score
I agree, although if IE crashes you can blame Microsoft. If Vista crashes, it's not usually it's fault. The one and only BSOD I had on Vista was when my graphics driver crashed.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
The only time I've ever BSOD'd was when ATi had released a buggy driver for my TV tuner, which was a pain to get out of Vista but other than that, the people who just bash Apple and Microsoft are honestly just impatient or inexperienced in the field of computers. I have worked with a few people who have bashed Verizon FiOS because it was slower than their cable or DSL, but after I popped in and found that their cache was set to 6,538MB of disk space and that they had too much stuff open on their computer, they were quiet.

Lack of experience and patience = bashing

exemption

Reaction score
I love Microsoft..I really have never had any problems with them..Except for the browser...
Lolz
Im out

Darasen

Reaction score
I do not hate Ms but their is OS is extremely bloated. The registry is an absolute mess and needs to be done away with. If a driver causes the entire OS to crash there is still an issue with the OS in general.

Additionally MS seems to think that once you purchase something it is still theirs anyway.

Office is bloat ware at its finest. To say nothin of it being very overpriced the "better UI" in the 2007 versions is a complete cluster F***. The only reason Office is used is that there is an odd perception that it has to be used.

MS server software is inferior to everything else I have ever used as well, with the exception of Banyan.

The worst thing about MS is that they stifle innovation. Other than that they are great.

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
..but Microsoft's new OS is bloated and glitchy. Who else is there to blame?

I hope Windows 7/Vienna/whatever is an OS worth upgrading from XP..

That and Office '07 is incredibly annoying. Stuck to 2003.

Last edited:

firesteel

Reaction score
I do not hate Ms . . .

<deletia of oft repeated pablum and tripe, popularly known as "Microsoft bashing">

. . . MS server software is inferior to everything else I have ever used as well, with the exception of Banyan.

The reliability of any modern server operating system, is dependent upon three things: the server hardware, the server environment, and the competence of system management personnel. Throw one element out of kilter in the above triad, and reliability suffers, regardless of OS.

Microsoft server operating systems are as reliable as any other. The ridiculous supposition that all things Microsoft are bad is just that - ridiculous supposition.

Oh yeah . . . Banyan? As in VINES? Stuck in the 90's, aren't we? How about some Mötley Crüe to go along with that whine? ;)

alexandgruntz

Reaction score
Office 2007 isn't bloated if you go cheap and get Home and Student. It has all that I need and can be installed three times - all for just NZ$180.

fvandrog

Reaction score
Office 2007 isn't bloated if you go cheap and get Home and Student. It has all that I need and can be installed three times - all for just NZ$180.

But would be a whole lot easier to learn if it had the option to revert of Office 2003 menus.

componentwarehouse

Reaction score
I love the 2007 menus. Makes it so much easier to find what you want, and it has so many extra features. I have the enterprise one or whatever, and if you've got a half decent computer who cares theres an extra 500meg of files I never use.

Alex

psgalaxy91

Reaction score
..but Microsoft's new OS is bloated and glitchy. Who else is there to blame?

I hope Windows 7/Vienna/whatever is an OS worth upgrading from XP..

Maybe you should create a better operating system. -.-
Vista isn't that bad, but everyone says it sucks. People used to say similar things of XP when it was first released. And anyway, it was just released, anything will have glitches or bugs in the beginning, but they get worked out.

idontknow95129

Reaction score
Microsoft Works - Biggest oxymoron ever. Why? Because, comparing XP to Vista is like comparing a supercomputer to a slow ass mac. Its just not worth it. Vista freezes on you 24/7 and sometimes crashes due to that. IMO, Windows Server 2003 is better than both due to its memory handling. XP has a similar, but different way than Win 2k3.
Edit:
Maybe you should create a better operating system. -.-
Vista isn't that bad, but everyone says it sucks. People used to say similar things of XP when it was first released. And anyway, it was just released, anything will have glitches or bugs in the beginning, but they get worked out.

I'll go for Google's OS. Lol.

P.S. WHY isn't there an edit button? I'm a big hater of double posters and now I hate myself.

Last edited:

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Microsoft Works - Biggest oxymoron ever. Why? Because, comparing XP to Vista is like comparing a supercomputer to a slow ass mac. Its just not worth it. Vista freezes on you 24/7 and sometimes crashes due to that. IMO, Windows Server 2003 is better than both due to its memory handling. XP has a similar, but different way than Win 2k3.
Edit:

I'll go for Google's OS. Lol.

P.S. WHY isn't there an edit button? I'm a big hater of double posters and now I hate myself.

Vista does not freeze 24/7. My Vista machine which I hand built myself is on 24/7 (full power too, no standby) and it hasn't frozen up in MONTHS. Vista used to freeze up on me because of crappy GeForce drivers. Now, the only time Vista ever reboots is when updates are installed. I've only had one BSOD in Vista as well, and that was caused by again the same buggy GeForce driver. nVidia fixed their drivers months ago. Also, there is an edit button.

Last edited:

fempower

Reaction score
I hate how it's so unsecure. And that Blue Screen of Death! Also, IE is just plain slow and buggy, as is all their other software and their OS, which is why I avoid it all as much as possible (except for the few sites I use that insist on only working in IE). The OS itself is such bloatware, that I can barely stand to use it, and always make every effort to remove as much as possible (like games and wallpaper). It uses too many resources and too much disk space. MS also has that annoying way of making their own (bad) versions of all types of software, integrating it all into their OSes, causing a fair number of people to use the MS versions just out of convenience, thereby stomping on the little guys and taking their business (and some great software) out of the market. What else do you need?

firesteel

Reaction score
Here's a fun little test for everyone complaining about how poor security is on Windows:

From a command window type (exactly shown here): net user %username%

Read down and look across from the line that lists local group memberships. If *Administrator is listed anywhere in that line, and you are currently connected to the internet, YOU are the SECURITY RISK to YOUR system with no room to complain about system security.

If your are inexperienced enough to jump onto the internet with an Administrator account, please quite repeating the same drivel about Windows this and Windows that. Have someone more experienced than you set your PC up properly before you do some real damage.

Simple as that.

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
I have seen the only BSOD on Windows XP when my hard drive had driver conflicts. My only complaint is that the error said it was a registry problem. Vista has been good to me, but I have not owned a copy before the release of SP1. I would probably explore Ubuntu if it has as much software for it, the Microsoft dominates through it's corrupted ethics.

The reason I detest Microsoft is for their ethics. They are a monopoly. They do things like releasing an OS before it is ready. That is why Vista was unstable until the release of it's first service pack. They change file formats to force people to buy new software. They will exploit their costumers to every possible extent, and pinch every penny possible. Some people would argue that Microsoft is a business, and that is what they should do to expand. I believe that a company should operate on some form of morality for their costumers.

Last edited:

firesteel

Reaction score
I would probably explore Ubuntu if it has as much software for it . . . .

Linux has plenty of fine options, particularly the Debian based distros like Ubuntu. And for applications not in the software repository of you distribution of choice, there are plenty of open source options written by extremely competent developers. SourceForge.net has more applications than any sane individual could want to ever install on any PC or server.

"Oh well, you can't play DirectX games on Linux, or run this Windows app or that Windows app on Linux!" Not true, CodeWeavers Crossover Games , Wine with Wine-Doors overlay, and Transgaming Cedega offer the capability to run Windows DirectX games, Windows applications with no direct Linux equivalent quite easily and DIRECTLY on Linux operating systems of all types.

Microsoft and the Windows OS is only necessary for those who REALLY want to USE it. Other options abound, these suggestions barely scrape the surface of what's out there.

Microsoft will continue to grow, albeit more slowly than in the past. Linux/BSD will almost certainly experience a huge surge in desktop usage, and everyone will have to find something else to ***** about around the watercooler in years to come.

Bashing Windows is so old school in this age. It's not even "cool" to bash it any longer.

sfan123

Reaction score
Yeah i agree with the fact thats there is plenty of soft ware for anything you need on ubuntu you just have to find i.t