SP1 installation help.

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Ok, I've got a problem here. I'm running Windows Vista Ultimate, and I just installed sp1 today. When I logged in after the upgrade, it told me my license was invalid and I needed to enter it again. So, I entered the license that came with it but it said it was invalid and that I should purchase a new one.

What's that about??? Is microsoft making people pay for the service packs too??? I thought the service packs were supposed to be free.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Ok, I've got a problem here. I'm running Windows Vista Ultimate, and I just installed sp1 today. When I logged in after the upgrade, it told me my license was invalid and I needed to enter it again. So, I entered the license that came with it but it said it was invalid and that I should purchase a new one.

What's that about??? Is microsoft making people pay for the service packs too??? I thought the service packs were supposed to be free.

It's probably a WGA glitch. When I updated my Vista Ultimate to SP1, I had no issues with the authentication of Windows after it was updated as I never got any message. If Windows lets you get to the internet, have you tried validating Windows Manually? That I've found can fix some things. If not, a call to Microsoft is probably needed so that they can fix up whatever issue there is.

Try this link and validate Windows again manually. http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/

Last edited:

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
It's probably a WGA glitch. When I updated my Vista Ultimate to SP1, I had no issues with the authentication of Windows after it was updated as I never got any message. If Windows lets you get to the internet, have you tried validating Windows Manually? That I've found can fix some things. If not, a call to Microsoft is probably needed so that they can fix up whatever issue there is.

Try this link and validate Windows again manually. http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/

Yes, I tried that link, but it said it was unable to determine and that I should try again later.
I tried again later, and got the same response. Is that their polite way of saying I'm using a pirated version? Because I'm not. When I ran that test before I installed sp1, it said my windows was genuine.
What I'm wondering is, if I uninstall sp1, will everything go back to normal? Or is my copy of windows ruined and do I have to wipe the disk? If that is the case, I'm not loading windows back on again...

hermitobserver

Reaction score
contact the technical staff. I don't think anyone here will really be able to help you. Service Packs are supposed to be free as far as I know