Aliens?

Parsa44

Reaction score
Reccently there was a huge "internet hype" about aliens landing on 14 october 2008, obviously they didnt, however the person who did start the rumour made a whole lot of internet fame and money through selling audio tapes and t-shirts. Yes, people actually believed her aliens story, and to this day her website is still running unchanged from before 14 october.

The point i am trying to get across is why would anybody believe such a stupid obvious lie? Who would PAY money to buy her t-shirts audio tapes ect.

I think its because we want something to be diffrent much in contrast to our controled civilised life's. I think thats rather sad too... what do you think?

Criptex

Reaction score
Well, I think people convince themselves to believe in aliens, because it's a myth, it is something that we cannot explain, and the idea of the little green people is too facinating and we want to see one, we like the idea of something different than us, but maybe more intelligent.
I would like to believe in alliens, alliens sound fun, and the idea of interacting with them, and exchanging information, but I also believe in people creating pretty organized lies, and playing with peoples beliefs.
And no, I would NEVER spend my money in a allien t shirt, or figure or something like that because despite the fact that alliens are true or not, Im a very cheap person. And I think it's stupid to spend your money in something like that.

MarioMaster

Reaction score
People believe aliens are real because they think there is life on other planets. The one thing I want to know is why people always think they're smarter than us just because they're not from Earth. How do you know they're not dumber than a single-celled organism?:dunno:

I'm not saying that I don't think there is life outside of Earth. But at the same time, I'm not saying I do. To be totally honest, I really don't care.

Last edited:

Kayos

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
While there is most likely life on other planets it's highly doubtful we'd find any intelligent beings. The idea that we'd find a planet with an advanced civilization, culture, whatever, is a pretty far fetched idea and is more than not science fiction. While it could possibly be true, it's highly doubtful we'd ever know about it.

Now, the misconception is that scientists searching for life are looking for alien beings. That's not the case. Scientists search for worlds that have the potential for water which is also a chance to discover life. Not life as we know it but life as in microscopic organisms, algae, etc.

Anyway, those people selling t-shirts, audio tapes may truly believe in aliens but it's more likely a marketing ploy.

The people who buy into the stuff are not stupid. They want to believe somethings out there. It's very similar to the thought process of a religion or cult. It may not be as extreme as those but there are some parallels.

Last edited:

whitebus

Reaction score
or perhaps they liked the t-shirt and thought it would be cool to have one. people bought ghostbusters and x-files t-shirts. what's wrong with spreading the wealth to non-corporate artists? the audio tapes might be fun to play on halloween, or in the hospitality suite at a convention.
as uhura said, "this isn't fantasy, this is reality... and you're going to sit in the closet"

Zdroyd

Reaction score
Actually there is a very small chance of life coming into existence in the first place.

Lets say 2x10^-10000000000000000000000000

But because the universe is infinitely large. And because any number added, subtracted from, divided by, or multiplied with infinity = infinity one can conclude that there is a 1/1 chance of life being somewhere else in the universe.

So somewhere in the universe (which is endless) other life exists.

PS: Technically an "Alien" can be considered as a person from another country; for instance, illegal immigrants are often called "Illegal Aliens". An alien is nothing but something that is foreign to the region.

Parsa44

Reaction score
Actually there is a very small chance of life coming into existence in the first place.

Lets say 2x10^-10000000000000000000000000

But because the universe is infinitely large. And because any number added, subtracted from, divided by, or multiplied with infinity = infinity one can conclude that there is a 1/1 chance of life being somewhere else in the universe.
So somewhere in the universe (which is endless) other life exists.

I agree with you there, there is a very low chance of another plannet with similar atmosphere to earth in our "time" and our region of space.

Although for all we know life could exist in totally diffrent ways? Just because a plannet as no atmosphere doesnt mean that life cant exist, we get the idea of "life" from the earth and the "life" that resides on it, so we certainly cannot make a unbaised decision on weather life can exist on other plannets or not.

PS: Technically an "Alien" can be considered as a person from another country; for instance, illegal immigrants are often called "Illegal Aliens". An alien is nothing but something that is foreign to the region.[/quote]

eefclan

Reaction score
i believ in it not that they came to earth but i believe that they exist( somewhere out there)

i think aliens don't need the same atmosphere like us
some fish(wel rare fish deep in teh sea(like 10km deep)) dont need air
ok i know there is oxygen in water but still there isnt much air in it.

and if there is one planet like eart in one solarsystem
than there are much aliens i guess

(srry for bad english, i am dutch)

Blazer9131

Reaction score
I think aliens are pretty real. I'd say we're really conceded if we think we're the only planet with life forms in the entire universe.

Our earth is actually pretty young compared to the rest of the universe. I'm sure that some lifeform has advanced far enough to "travel" to other planets, unlike us.

As for her tapes and shirts.. LOL, I would never buy that stuff.

~Blaze

sourfacedcyclop

Reaction score
Aliens undoubtedly exist, look at the drake equation if you want to have fun and guess how many there are. The thing is...any alien civilization who has the means to reach Earth, is smart enough to stay away. After all, why would then want to mingle with backwards, violent people like humans?

Imaco

Reaction score
Well, what would you do if you were cruising around the universe like you do every day, and found a bunch of weird creatures somewhere that had a vastly different culture? Wouldn't you be curious? I watched the Disclosure Project press conference a couple years back and found it rather interesting. A lot of people with a lot of credentials seem to believe that aliens are real. Sure some of them are probably just along for the ride I'm sure but I think some of them were pretty believable. Say its not possible all you want, but I'll take the word of a former astronaut instead. There was a British hacker who got into US government sites and NASA and apparently found their cache of unedited photos chalk full of unedited photos. Believe that if you want, but consider that the British government gave the guy a standard penalty for nondestructive hacking and the US government demanded nothing less than extradition to make sure he never saw the light of day again.

Parsa44

Reaction score
Aliens undoubtedly exist, look at the drake equation if you want to have fun and guess how many there are. The thing is...any alien civilization who has the means to reach Earth, is smart enough to stay away. After all, why would then want to mingle with backwards, violent people like humans?

I disagree with you. A alien which can travel across space effectivley will have technology far, far superior to us humans.

Any alien would jump at the chance to interact with earth. Not only will they have acess to a whole wide new species of plants and animals which can be used for medicine, ect ect. We may have our hands on konledge that they havnt discovered yet. (very unlikley if they can travel across space effecivley like i said) But who knows?

Teensweb

Reaction score
That's not true. humans may not be less violent than them just because of low technology.

Last edited:

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
People believe aliens are real because their need to brake monotony of everyday life.

I'll believe in aliens when I see one. I have a lot of other things to worry about then thinking about some aliens invasion or stuff like that.

Parsa44

Reaction score
That's not true. humans may not be less violent than them just because of low technology.
Teensweb I am afraid I really disagree with that. Humans are the same if not mroe violent than they was in the iceage to now when they have thier nuclear war heads and long range missiles.

A few things you can never get rid of:

Poverty
Greed
Hate
Jelousy
Fear

And all of these cause conflict.

ejweb

Reaction score
Such topic also gets into the Biblical arena. I don't believe in aliens as in the traditionalist view. This planet was created specifically for us and no one else. Scientists are human - they error in many ways. One example is the carbon-dating process including fossilization. Unless you were actually there a few hundred or a thousand years ago - it cannot be guaranteed. If aliens are true, they should be more noticeable and in sight - given todays technology. But; you don't see or know about them. Look at Bigfoot; that was proven false many years ago (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bigfoot#Prominent_reported_sightings)...

Last edited:

Parsa44

Reaction score
Such topic also gets into the Biblical arena. I don't believe in aliens as in the traditionalist view. This planet was created specifically for us and no one else. Scientists are human - they error in many ways. One example is the carbon-dating process including fossilization. Unless you were actually there a few hundred or a thousand years ago - it cannot be guaranteed. If aliens are true, they should be more noticeable and in sight - given todays technology. But; you don't see or know about them. Look at Bigfoot; that was proven false many years ago (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bigfoot#Prominent_reported_sightings)...

Not meaning any offence ejweb but your post there is very closed minded and unthinking....

"if aliens are true, they should be more noticeable and in sight-given todays technology"

Let me try and put things into perspective for you.
We are located in plannet earth
There are 9 plannets in the solar system
There are 2 billion solar systems in the mily way galaxy
There are LOADS of billions of galaxys.

How far do you think our "technology can look"
1million km?
2million km?
9999999999999999999999999999999 million km?

Either way there will still be a huge portion of the universe unseen by our technology.

See this article from the BBC website
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7891132.stm

Zdroyd

Reaction score
People believe aliens are real because they think there is life on other planets. The one thing I want to know is why people always think they're smarter than us just because they're not from Earth. How do you know they're not dumber than a single-celled organism?:dunno:

I'm not saying that I don't think there is life outside of Earth. But at the same time, I'm not saying I do. To be totally honest, I really don't care.

I agree with that 100% of the way. Aliens are really only any species that is new to us Humans, the word Alien should not imply higher beings... Technically when a new species is found here on earth it is considered Aliens... And we all know about our good friends the Illegal Aliens...

Parsa44

Reaction score
I agree with that 100% of the way. Aliens are really only any species that is new to us Humans, the word Alien should not imply higher beings... Technically when a new species is found here on earth it is considered Aliens... And we all know about our good friends the Illegal Aliens...

Quite true, i think there is most likley to be loads of single cell organisms or protozoa out there rather than some master technologicaly advanced species.