Why consoles are rubbish!

Parsa44

Reaction score
I didnt know if it would be better to post this in cross fire or gamers lounge, but i think its pretty gaming related, so i posted it here ;).

At school this argument has happened many many times, some of my freinds are all well into computer gaming and wont even dream of buying a console, others are so computer illiterate its quite comical to watch them try to work one.

I am pretty sure that computers are much better than consoles, not only can you play games on a computer you can also build websites, script , go on the internet. But on consoles all you can do is play games.

I probably wouldnt play the game i play now if it wasnt for the concept of making videos and my webstite about it.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
The main reason I will not go for a console is the fact that Analog Sticks and buttons aren't as precise and as quick as a classic keyboard and mouse. I can aim better as well as switch weapons much quicker, not to mention on Valve games, I can bin things such as noclip, explode :D and kill to my keys on my keyboard. That, plus gearing towards the Xbox 360, the PC online is typically free (unless you come across WoW). On the side of modding, consoles have very limited ways in terms of modding. This is what makes the PC superior when it comes down to gaming, as not only can you build your own mods on a PC, you can run them, distribute them, etc without having to hack the console, software, etc.

PCs themselves typically have faster hardware too, while game consoles typically have games with better optimization. Take Crysis for example, or Grand Theft Auto IV. When you have your settings maxed as well as antialiasing (one thing consoles RARELY have enabled! Jaggies are terrible) maxed, games look beautiful and if you have the power, they run great as well. On the side of optimization, it is much harder to optimize a PC game though considering there's millions of different combinations that could be going on, such as the hardware, software, etc, where as a console typically is mass produced with the same hardware, and the only thing to really worry about are certified 3rd party accessories and software versions.

The only downfall on PC gaming is typically unknowledgeable users, crashes, and of course, the all hated DRM. Many times in my case when I meet a gamer who plays on their PC, they've always complained about lag, low framerates, crashes, etc and I've always have had to help them out to get their issues fixed out. Typically, it's the video card or RAM that's the issue with PCs. Crashes, another downfall on PC gaming. Sure, games are quite stable even on Beta Operating Systems, but due to drivers, 3rd party apps and tons of hardware configurations and settings, it's hard to not make a game crash on a PC for someone. Yes, console games do crash though. It happens when the console freezes and you have to quit the game or reset the console.

PCs though are useful for gaming too. You can record video, mix them up and everything without needing a PC or a video capture device. Not to mention, you can download games, have multiple hard drives with RAID arrays, upgrade the hardware, build your own system, customize it, etc. Also, for those times when people complain about lag, the PC has tools that you can use to find the source of the lag, including Command Prompt, and the internet browser.

With some thought I'd be able to get things down more, but this should be good enough. For me though, I wish that consoles would at least have antialiasing. Nothing looks worse in a game besides garbage textures that jaggies.

skai123

Reaction score
I didnt know if it would be better to post this in cross fire or gamers lounge, but i think its pretty gaming related, so i posted it here ;).

At school this argument has happened many many times, some of my freinds are all well into computer gaming and wont even dream of buying a console, others are so computer illiterate its quite comical to watch them try to work one.

I am pretty sure that computers are much better than consoles, not only can you play games on a computer you can also build websites, script , go on the internet. But on consoles all you can do is play games.

I probably wouldnt play the game i play now if it wasnt for the concept of making videos and my webstite about it.

Take another guess...

Even the PSP can be use go on the internet.
Same with PS3.
You can view photos, listen to music, watch videos, go surf on the web, folding@home, video/voice chat...

Funny you say that because right now consoles are becoming more like "computers"...
With PS3 you can install Linux and do all that other crap you stated...

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
I have a PSP, and since it is not jailbroken, I am unable to play videos online, and the browser that is on there is just crap. But yeah, consoles are starting to evolve more. Nothing beat's the PC's ability for modifications and upgrades though, as well as raw power :)

noerrorsfound

Reaction score
An advantage of consoles is the ease of playing with friends. Not many people have a computer suitable for playing the latest games (even if the computer was purchased recently, usually they've got no video card, only an on-board graphics chip). It's also not convenient for someone to bring their computer, monitor, mouse, keyboard, and speakers over to your house to play. And if you had four people total (the amount of people who can play on a single console), there'd be nowhere to put all those computers. I wouldn't even have the space for one of them.

Last edited:

jrobert755

Reaction score
consoles also have the advantage of being initially cheaper. they can also be modified (with questionable legality) so Linux can be installed and used. computers are more rounded, and easier to upgrade (consoles are almost impossible without getting the new version or a deep understanding of the console and its hardware and software). the main problem with the debate, though, is when you get people that grew up on one or the other. they will always be better at what they have had the most experience with.

Blazer9131

Reaction score
I'd trade in my 360 for 50 bucks, Just for the money. I HATE it..
I have Live, I have All the new games, Gears 2, Halo 3, CoDWaW, but all thoes games *older versions, Gears 1, H2* are better on PC. Much less lag when playing online, Everything is smoother, and gameplay is so much better. Plus no ****ty extra's are needed to play online. Internet connection, and a valid CD Key for that game *there's a glitch/bug going around, in which you can play any WIndowsLive game using a halo 2 CD key =P*
I don't hate all the consoles, I love the PS series. PS2 is by far the best system ever created. *maybe next to the nes/snes/N64's* Ever. *Yup, two, not three*
All the systems had their days, Nintendo, with N64, PS2 for sony, 360 for microsoft, but the PC's been living forever =D..

Made my PC 2 years ago, custom built. Ordered the parts online. Its so kick ass, only thing I upgraded recently was my HDD cause I was filling up on games and programs =P *I just added a 500GB HDD this summer, I have 12GB left, total of 1.25TB

On the other hand, I'd LOVE to get a PS3.

~Blaze

REBEL21

Reaction score
I agree with computers you get much more power, better graphics and you can play games no problem also with consoles you will have to buy another consoles when the games are incompatiable or died out. With a pc you can easily upgrade it instead of buying a whole new system!!!

Jamie

xPlozion

Reaction score
I played console games all my life up til the beta of cod5, and then a few weeks after. around christmas time, my upgrades came in so i could start playing games on it (xfx 9800gt, a bigger psu, new kbd/mouse), and from there-on-out, i've played pc the whole time.

one thing i enjoy is that pc gamers appear to be much more mature than console gamers. that's the one thing i hated about xbox live is that the 12yr old kids would NOT SHUT UP! CoD was notorious for this, which is a big reason i never really got into it (i played rainbow six a lot, well, since rs3 was out on the old xbox, and lockdown was total garbage, up to vegas 2).

as others have said, playing custom mods/maps on pc games is a good reason why i enjoy it. not playing the same 6 maps the whole time (4 in tf2/360's instance).

Sure, you can play with your friends from around the block easier, but if you don't enjoy console gaming in the first place, then what's the point? if u've got xbl, just do a party chat w/ them, while they play another game, or make NEW friends on pc ;)

as smith said, there's more, but i just don't feel like going on w/ this post, so i'll end it here saying that PC games are superior if you can afford it :)

ethraax

Reaction score
So it doesn't seem that anyone's noticed the fact that most of the people on these forums are going to be PC gamers because this is, after all, a PC community, but beside that, consoles aren't that bad.

Consoles appeal to people who want simple stuff. Consoles are for people who just want to play games, for people who don't want to bother with dealing with a computer, which can be much harder. Computers are considerably more complex in operation, and thus can encounter many more problems.

To the person who said computers are easier to upgrade... what? You don't really upgrade consoles as much as you just buy the newer one. They're standardized, really, so developers of console games have a good idea of how much computing power they have to work with. Computers, however, must be constantly upgraded. Furthermore, buying and setting up a new computer takes more time and effort than buying and setting up a new console.

TLDR version: Consoles are simpler. Some like it, some don't. It's just preference.

skai123

Reaction score
I agree with computers you get much more power, better graphics and you can play games no problem also with consoles you will have to buy another consoles when the games are incompatiable or died out. With a pc you can easily upgrade it instead of buying a whole new system!!!

Jamie
1) it takes longer to upgrade.
2) it cost more to upgrade once a year r w.e than buying a new console once every 5 to when ever the user wants to upgrade (look at PS2 still selling after 9 years)

3) you would still have to buy/upgrade the whole system once in a while new platform like the new intel platform.

What's the point of power if the games/software doesnt even utilize it to 100% of it?

Play games no problem? i play games on consoles no problem..

Edit:

On the other hand, I'd LOVE to get a PS3.

~Blaze

You should get a PS3. Sell your xbox 360 and games and everything else and buy a PS3~

Online play for free and no 12yr olds screamin/yellin/swearing over mic..

Last edited:

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
1) it takes longer to upgrade.
2) it cost more to upgrade once a year r w.e than buying a new console once every 5 to when ever the user wants to upgrade (look at PS2 still selling after 9 years)
3) you would still have to buy/upgrade the whole system once in a while new platform like the new intel platform.

What's the point of power if the games/software doesnt even utilize it to 100% of it?

Play games no problem? i play games on consoles no problem..
Edit:

You should get a PS3. Sell your xbox 360 and games and everything else and buy a PS3~

Online play for free and no 12yr olds screamin/yellin/swearing over mic..

Have you heard of Multithreading? I can make TF2 go from 25% usage on my quad to 60-70% usage as well as use more of the video power I have stored. Now if only Crysis would Multithread the Physics or offload them to one of the video cards, then the framerates wouldn't be as bad a people say they are. The physics is what really kills Crysis, not necessarilly the poly count. Heck back when I ran a single GeForce 8800GT ages ago I could run Crysis at 1680x1050 with 4x MSAA on Very High specs and run at a good 12-18fps. Or, take my old retired gaming computer, running a 2.4Ghz Celeron, a GeForce 440MX AGP 8X, and a pathetic (to this day) 256MB of RAM. I could run games like Star Wars Battlefront II, Half-Life 2 and many other modern games that didn't require a pixel shader on that box like a charm, and I never overclocked it either. If I really wanted to, a little bit of RAM that box has the power to take on Windows 7, Windows Vista, or even games like Team Fortress 2 in DirectX 8 mode.

I don't see why my Previous $300 gaming computer (that was the cost of it when I built it) as well as my PC gaming should be considered expensive, when it still has the power to run games at max spec, with anti-aliasing which BARELY any console games use in the first place. Keep in the mind the PS2 itself used to be expensive as well ;)

Also rebuilding the computer does have many benefits. Buying a console every few years for something that may or may not work, and if it breaks, has to be shipped to the factory can become more of a pain, than a PC where you can simply swap out the broken hardware with some older, compatible hardware and still be able to use it.

Also have you seen Half-Life 2: FakeFactory Mod at all? The mod is roughly 5GB big and it REQUIRES a 64-bit system to run it. With the resolution of the textures in that mod, it's enough to make the 360 choke, maybe even the PS3 if I were to push the settings to full 1080p, and that's without anti-aliasing, and will be caused due to a lack of console RAM/video RAM. I can run that mod maxed out at 2560x1600 flawlessly.

The PS2 itself is a great console. I have to admit that, as there's so many titles that are just classics tha you can run on it. I have one of the older, bulkier PS2s and I have a network adapter on it and online is free on it. The adapter I use can use Broadband or dial-up as well.

For me, as I've stated before, the reason I'm a PC gamer is, I'm up to the challenge of dealing with software/hardware issues on my own, I enjoy making maps/installing mods, I can use the PC for gaming and web browsing at the same time, as well as more, I can use it for just about anything. Plus, I have a say in how my system is built, and how good it is in terms of power, cooling, etc. It's not like a console, say the 360 where you get this hardware, you get this power, and you run with it, and any attempt to crack open the case voids the warranty, and cooling cannot be controlled unless you want to mod and void the warranty. With a PC, I can put in my own cooling system, adjust it as needed, crack it open and even mess with the hardware for as long as I do not change anything on the physical chip itself (like damage a capacitor or solder stuff to it). Also, Overclocking does void my hardware's warranty, but that's something anyone who invests a decent amount of cash in their system should not need to do until the warranty is expired and their hardware is becoming dated.

Last edited:

Blazer9131

Reaction score
Also have you seen Half-Life 2: FakeFactory Mod at all? The mod is roughly 5GB big and it REQUIRES a 64-bit system to run it. With the resolution of the textures in that mod, it's enough to make the 360 choke, maybe even the PS3 if I were to push the settings to full 1080p, and that's without anti-aliasing, and will be caused due to a lack of console RAM/video RAM. I can run that mod maxed out at 2560x1600 flawlessly.

Holy **** you must have a sexy computer. Mind posting the specs? =P

My PC's old, almost 2 years old.. 4 gb ram, SLI 8800GT and a Q6600. Runninga Win7 beta rev7000, and a customized windows XP Pro 64bit. Cost me around 1.2 ish Lol.. Got it like when the 8800's were "OMFG WOAH! YOU HAVE A 8800?! OMG!" Now its all at the "OMFG ATi 4870 X2??! NO WAI NO WAI"... >.>''

God I need a life..

~Blaze

Last edited:

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
Holy **** you must have a sexy computer. Mind posting the specs? =P

My PC's old, almost 2 years old.. 4 gb ram, SLI 8800GT and a Q6600. Runninga Win7 beta rev7000, and a customized windows XP Pro 64bit. Cost me around 1.2 ish Lol.. Got it like when the 8800's were "OMFG WOAH! YOU HAVE A 8800?! OMG!" Now its all at the "OMFG ATi 4870 X2??! NO WAI NO WAI"... >.>''

God I need a life..

~Blaze

It's getting late, so I'm not going to post up my full specs, but I'll be sure to post them up tomorrow if you can't find them in the forums. But yes, can you say Crysis with 16xQ CSAA, Very High spec, DX10 at 2560x1600?

[offtopic]Grrr!!!! Verizon hurry up and give meh FiOS![/offtopic]

xPlozion

Reaction score
ok, upgrading the computer doesn't take forever. you want to upgrade from an eVGA 8600gs to a GTX280, so you turn off the computer, open the case, remove the old video card, install the new one (making sure you don't forget the pci-e power adapter), turn it on, install necessary drivers if needed ;). not hard.

also, as a pc gamer, you shouldn't buy a computer, but upgrade components. then you won't have to take time to set up the os ;)

Blazer9131

Reaction score
It's getting late, so I'm not going to post up my full specs, but I'll be sure to post them up tomorrow if you can't find them in the forums. But yes, can you say Crysis with 16xQ CSAA, Very High spec, DX10 at 2560x1600?

[offtopic]Grrr!!!! Verizon hurry up and give meh FiOS![/offtopic]

Sadly, I must say FiOS sucks over here. It's really slow at peak times, and it often deadout stops working for my friend at times. I'm really really happy with my OptOnline, getting 35,000kbs down 2,000 kbs up.

ok, upgrading the computer doesn't take forever. you want to upgrade from an eVGA 8600gs to a GTX280, so you turn off the computer, open the case, remove the old video card, install the new one (making sure you don't forget the pci-e power adapter), turn it on, install necessary drivers if needed ;). not hard.

also, as a pc gamer, you shouldn't buy a computer, but upgrade components. then you won't have to take time to set up the os ;)

Haha, I don't even upgrade my PC that often, yet I re-install my OS every 4-5 months. I made my own slipstream copy, so I just put it in, select the HDD, and it installs+auto-configures to my settings, and goes straight to my desktop. Password protected, auto-updates, everything =D. Even added a Black XP theme as the defualt.

~Blaze

skai123

Reaction score

Ok, if you buy upgrades, you would have to buy it online or at a store, mostly online because it's cheaper and more parts you can choose from. Shipping take time, few days, then you get you're parts, you have to unscrew all the screws, open the case, takeout/insert the part. Install drivers if needed... still takes time.

If you upgrade some major parts you would need to reinstall windows...
Edit:
Have you heard of Multithreading? I can make TF2 go from 25% usage on my quad to 60-70% usage as well as use more of the video power I have stored. Now if only Crysis would Multithread the Physics or offload them to one of the video cards, then the framerates wouldn't be as bad a people say they are. .........

Also rebuilding the computer does have many benefits. Buying a console every few years for something that may or may not work, and if it breaks, has to be shipped to the factory can become more of a pain, than a PC where you can simply swap out the broken hardware with some older, compatible hardware and still be able to use it.

You just prove what i stated, that games/software don't utlize it 100%.

lets not talk about what might happen.
Cuz i can do the same with Computers.
Buying each part for a computer., for something that may or many not work, and if the powersupply fries the system, you would have to shipped each individual parts (ram, cpu, gfx card, ect) to their respective company's factory, that takes money(depends on warranty) to ship and time. And it might take longer for one part or another and if you don't have spare parts... then you're screwed.

For consoles they shipped u a box that is prepaid with address, and you ship out if you are still covered under warranty... I never had to do that before...

There is also way more games for consoles than computer, except for MMORPG.

I don't hate computer, i use both computers and consoles.

For a group of friends to play, playing on console is much better cuz you just need to have 4 controls and play your friends can also just bring their games for the console, insert and play. while a computer most games only support 1 player you would ahve to have 4 computers... which costs more... And if your friend brings over a game, you would have to (download &) install it.

Last edited:

dquigley

Reaction score
The wii is a great console to have, it has a lot of neat features you cant do as easily with your computer.

nchgaming

Reaction score
Wow! some of you guys are harsh... ever hear of playing a game he way it was INTENDED tp be played??? without modding! Is it that hard to win with skill, not cheats??? If you can't win the game, the way it was meant to be played, with EVERYONE on the same settings, you just plain suck!. Why is it that so many think they have to mod this, and mod that to have fun? Don't you know, that people won't keep playing against cheaters, and that they'll eventually move on, leaving you to have to find another game to mod, cause no one is left... Have fun using games the way they were INTENDED... eveyone the same...no advantages other than experience and skill.!

xPlozion

Reaction score
wow, i had a whole post here that went into great detail, but i went searching for a link and now it's gone... time to rewrite it...

first off, pc mods are a complete 180 from what console mods are. pc game mods are not chips that you install to allow hacking and cheating. pc mods are modifications to the game which generate many new games and game types to form from it.

Call of Duty has paintball, zombies, and just a new game type where rank means nothing because all the weapons are unlocked (granted these mods don't count towards a user's rank).

Half Life 2 which includes the source engine allows indie developers to make new games, including fortress forever, zombie panic, plan of attack. i believe counterstrike started out as a mod, as well as team fortress. the list goes on, but here's a link of current mods available for free of charge (granted you've got a game with a source engine installed): http://store.steampowered.com/search/?category1=997

Do not compare pc game mods to xbox or ps3 mods, because in the same context, console mods are non-existent. modding the system is a big difference and allows an unfair advantage to those who have a chip installed.

PS, if i could give negative rep, i would have given it to you for a few reasons: 1) not reading our posts properly and making uninformed conclusions, 2) calling all of us pc gamers cheaters for playing mods, and 3) basically yelling at us, even though you were not using all caps. the tone of your post was in a yelling manner.

There is also way more games for consoles than computer, except for MMORPG.
please give proof of your comment, as i find it hilariously wrong. since you don't need expensive licenses to develop games on computers, you'll get all the indie developers/studios that can't afford them or simply believe that the pc is the superior gaming platform.

http://www.gamespot.com/games.html?...s&dlx_type=all&sortdir=asc&official=all%20%BB you will see that pc has 215 pages of games compared to 22 pages on xbox 360 and 13 for ps3. although a sorta bad example because pc games have been around so much longer than xbox 360 or a playstation 3.

another example i will provide is gamerankings. searching over the past 12 months for the pc, since the limit is 200 results, the list ends as #200 on a title starting with D. on xbox 360, the list ends at J, and on ps3, the list ends at T

Last edited: