email service

hcse26

Reaction score
How can i start an mail service like Gmail or Yahoo Mail ?

If you're really serious. Get dedicated servers and host your mail service there.

or if you can alter DNS records youself, then you can signup for Google Apps for your domain or Windows Live Admin and just put up your own logo and you're there.

JKoltner

Reaction score
How can i start an mail service like Gmail or Yahoo Mail ?

Well, you can start by doing the same thing that, e.g., x10hosting here does... get your a Linux box, get it configured properly to support multiple users, and then run Horde or Squirrelmail on top of Apache to get the web interface going.

One high-end machine probably suffices for some hundreds to low thousands of users, depending on their activity level... your initial bills will come from paying for all the bandwidth your users consume, but once you want to expand to hundreds of thousands or millions of users like Google or Yahoo!, you end up with very serious hardware bills as well as needing a lot of custom programming to tie everything together. I mean, you're at least six or seven digit U.S. dollars here to provide the level of service that those big guys do... hope you have deep pockets? Or that you did just mean "like" Google/Yahoo! but with far fewer users?

---Joel

dhruv227

Reaction score
Well, you can start by doing the same thing that, e.g., x10hosting here does... get your a Linux box, get it configured properly to support multiple users, and then run Horde or Squirrelmail on top of Apache to get the web interface going.

One high-end machine probably suffices for some hundreds to low thousands of users, depending on their activity level... your initial bills will come from paying for all the bandwidth your users consume, but once you want to expand to hundreds of thousands or millions of users like Google or Yahoo!, you end up with very serious hardware bills as well as needing a lot of custom programming to tie everything together. I mean, you're at least six or seven digit U.S. dollars here to provide the level of service that those big guys do... hope you have deep pockets? Or that you did just mean "like" Google/Yahoo! but with far fewer users?

i meant few users. you got it right.

gateway

Reaction score
For begining, I think hivemail might be very good. its just a script you install and there you are. You wil be running your own email services like user@yourdomain.com. You can even configure it with more domains.

And for the registration, you can close it anytime you want so that you maintain your current users.