New VPS Service!

allofus

Reaction score
Hello;

I / we are in the process of transferring funds to our existing paid hosting account so we can pay for a VPS. We are going to opt in for the lowest price entry package first to get used to the service and try out our options.

We are planning on running a;
Shoutcast server
Ventrilo / Teamspeak server

and possibly a flash server, all to enable us to communicate and produce / broadcast Internet radio style streaming.

I will be the administrator for the account on the VPS. I have absolutely ZERO experience with linux or VPS and am seeking help.

Please can somebody let me know which, in your opinion will be the best OS to install and and also a 'beginners' user guide for assistance with installing the above mentioned and indeed other softwares.

I have installed centOS 5 on 'Sun xVM VirtualBox' and in all honesty I cannot figure out where to start, completely alien to me considering the lack of .exe or .msi files.

I want to be able to install a recommended OS on 'VirtualBox' so I can 'play' and 'learn' before letting loose on the x10 VPS.

I thank you in advance for any support and guidance I may get in reply from this request for help.

Respectfully,
Matthew Green aka MattG - britishnproud
http://4allofus.com

p.s our operation is 100% not-for-profit and charitable, please help!

David

IRC: For Cool People!
Reaction score
i need free vps

I think that would be unlikely.

Hello;

I / we are in the process of transferring funds to our existing paid hosting account so we can pay for a VPS. We are going to opt in for the lowest price entry package first to get used to the service and try out our options.

We are planning on running a;
Shoutcast server
Ventrilo / Teamspeak server

and possibly a flash server, all to enable us to communicate and produce / broadcast Internet radio style streaming.

I will be the administrator for the account on the VPS. I have absolutely ZERO experience with linux or VPS and am seeking help.

Please can somebody let me know which, in your opinion will be the best OS to install and and also a 'beginners' user guide for assistance with installing the above mentioned and indeed other softwares.

I have installed centOS 5 on 'Sun xVM VirtualBox' and in all honesty I cannot figure out where to start, completely alien to me considering the lack of .exe or .msi files.

I want to be able to install a recommended OS on 'VirtualBox' so I can 'play' and 'learn' before letting loose on the x10 VPS.

I thank you in advance for any support and guidance I may get in reply from this request for help.

Respectfully,
Matthew Green aka MattG - britishnproud
http://4allofus.com

p.s our operation is 100% not-for-profit and charitable, please help!

I would use the latest, stable, full release of CentOS.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
i need free vps

Well since a VPS really boils down to a self-contained server that can be used and abused as the client wishes, I have my doubts you'll -ever- find a free VPS.

No offense intended, but VPS's aren't cheap to run, and they really -are- servers - they're just running along-side a few other virtual servers all on one big server. Free hosting is one thing because each account shouldn't require much maintenance, however a VPS requires a lot more "watch dogging" just because of the potential for them to glitch and crash - it is just one server running a few dozen copies of varying operating systems, after all.

Plus because you can't cram nearly as many VPS's onto one server as you can free accounts, there's no real way for advertisements to make it affordable to run. Not that it matters since a VPS isn't always used to run a website, which would make it nigh on impossible to put ads on anyways. Only way to really do affordable VPS's that actually cover the cost of the server to run them on is to have them cost cold hard cash.

stealth_thunder

Reaction score
wow x10hosting finally have some even more cool this is really good timing as I plan of getting one sooner or later.

allofus

Reaction score
I would use the latest, stable, full release of CentOS.
Thanks exembarstudios;

I have installed centOS 5.2 on my old machine, slowly but surely getting the hang of it. Pretty good job we have search engines to aid us, thats for sure.

Q. Will the VPS have centOS 5 on it the same as what I have downloaded? the 6 cd i386 version? I did notice on the VPS order form it says centOS 5 is installed. It seems to be a nice distro of linux but at 6 cd's it is not at all small.

OK, is there a support or discussion thread somewhere on the x10 forums so this dialogue can continue?

Brandon

Former Senior Account Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
The VPS comes preinstalled with a few programs and is a rundown version of what you downloaded from CentOS. There is no desktop, etc, make sure you are practicing with command line as that's what you need to use to administrate these unless you install a control panel.

allofus

Reaction score
Question for Corey and Brandon;

Please will you consider creating a 'VPS support' area in the x10 forums?

I am what one would call a 'newbie' and the questions are many and I am sure many people who opt for this service will be just as 'fresh' as I am.

BTW, for anyone considering getting a VPS..... (or paid hosting with x10)
DO IT!
The entry costs are comparable with the shared hosting, the centos hostinabox (lxadmin) panel is extensive and the order process is a doddle.

Yes, there is a learning curve but is this not true for shared hosting? of course it is! I paid for a year of shared hosting with x10hosting to learn about 1 week later I would have needed a VPS to do the things I wanted to do, oops.

It has been suggested that there is a cheaper alternative to x10hosting for VPS by someone in this thread, well Sir, you get what you pay for in this world and I am pretty confident when I say that you will not get the hands on experience from Corey and Brandon and associates from some 'other' host that just might be a few cents cheaper. That said I did not find a better pricing plan anywhere.

Just because the VPS are unmanaged do not think you will be doing this alone because you will not. Something I cannot say for 'other providers'.

Every time I have needed support with x10 it has been provided and I have opted for the 'entry level' packages. Great work guys, very much appreciated!

My last words on the matter;
I, we as a group have tried to work with several hosts before settling with x10hosting, we have been ignored when support was needed, booted from servers for no good reason, ripped off of setup fees and payments for hosting when dropped like a hot potatoe, more down than up time and then we have utilised the services of x10hosting. The differences truly are staggering when one considers the amount of money involved here, as I said lower entry... AND NO I am not being paid or sweetened to write this, just trying to give back a little appreciation.

Respectfully,
MattG - britishnproud

aqsakids

Reaction score
If it's a hardware failure, we will provide support, we just don't offer support with what goes on the VPS etc, like software.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
If it's a hardware failure, we will provide support, we just don't offer support with what goes on the VPS etc, like software.

I should also point out that there's two areas normally invisible on the forums right now (unless that's changed, but I don't believe it has).

There's Priority Support for anyone who picked up Silver/Gold/Platinum service as part of some other plan, and there's VPS Support for those who snagged VPS's.

Make sure to let a mod/admin know you've paid for a paid plan (vps or hosting) so they can change your usergroup to either VIP Users (paid hosting) or VPS Users (vps!) :)

That being said, aqsakids is 100% correct in the sense that it wouldn't be "official" help getting a software issue fixed. Although, you might still get help from a mod/admin because they may just happen to know the answer :)

lytle69

Reaction score
I am new to developing websites etc and so ummm , what is VPS service exactly?

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
VPS is 'virtual private server' It means you have a part of a server that is completely yours, that you can install any software you want, and do (almost) anything you want with it.

This is an old thread, you should consider asking any other questions about VPS here: http://forums.x10hosting.com/free-hosting/

The price of the VPS is very very good compared to what else is out there. It's overpriced if you just want to host a wordpress blog, yes.