Site Stability/Reliability

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbtuna

Reaction score
My website, http://bbtuna.us.to/ is extremely unstable. It often is down, I get "cannot find server" error in my browser, yet 99% of the time I can get on cPanel. At many points throughout the day the site will be extremely slow, in fact most of the time I use it I will either get timed out or it will take minutes to load a page. Is this expected from Free Servers? (I'm on Absolute) or should I not be experiencing this problem.

dyreplus

Reaction score
I have the same problem with my site. It's about every half hour to an hour that pages don't load for a couple minutes (extremely slow) ... and about every 4-7 hours it dies entirely with the cannot find server message. Even under these conditions, x10 has the best free hosting amongst sites with comparable features. D:

bbtuna

Reaction score
I have the same problem with my site. It's about every half hour to an hour that pages don't load for a couple minutes (extremely slow) ... and about every 4-7 hours it dies entirely with the cannot find server message. Even under these conditions, x10 has the best free hosting amongst sites with comparable features. D:

Agreed, for what the give us this is a small price to pay, but at the same time it is extremely annoying, especially when you are testing new code and need to constantly be reloading...

Ninesvnsicks

Reaction score
My website, http://bbtuna.us.to/ is extremely unstable. It often is down, I get "cannot find server" error in my browser, yet 99% of the time I can get on cPanel. At many points throughout the day the site will be extremely slow, in fact most of the time I use it I will either get timed out or it will take minutes to load a page. Is this expected from Free Servers? (I'm on Absolute) or should I not be experiencing this problem.

I am also on absolut and have been experiencing the same problems I have seen the free servers complained about a million times yet nothing ever changes. Yes we are paying nothing for this service but even tho it is a free service the servers should still at least stay up more then 10% of the time. I also agree it is getting very frustrating.

Hired_Goon

Reaction score
*whistles a familiar tune while waiting for a complaint thread to be closed*

There is another alternative out there with the similar features, but unfortunately it is not all that reliable either. Was down for two weeks a while ago.

Wish option number three would hurry up and approve my application so I can move there and actually get some development done. Lost about 30 hours of productive time on absolut in the last two months. Always seems to go haywire when I finally get time to do something.

bbtuna

Reaction score
I love everything X10 has to offer; free cPanel, free SQL, free web space and bandwidth, but as the infamous saying goes, "there is no such thing as a free lunch" it could not be more true. While us free-sever-users enjoy the fruits of a cost-less website, we sacrifice things in other areas. I love you x10, but really reliability > features, after all, a website that works but has no features is better than one that doesn't work and has features...
:sad:

Derek

Community Support Force
Community Support
Reaction score
Not at all. They might be having trouble from time to time. But it's free. How often is it been going on?

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
This is not too normal for X10. In the time I've had it, there have been only two periods like this where it has been consistently bad. It only happens when they redo the backend stuff.

I've been around the free hosting scene for a while and I have not found a better host.

zmama

Reaction score
I agree with garrettroyce. This is the best host I have had so far... better than a couple of the paid hosts I had. That being said, it's still frustrating to have lots of outages. I realize work is going on, so I'm patient. I'd like to hear from those in the know what's going on, though.

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
I honestly think the staff don't post many server updates because they are so busy working on the problem. It's not like your home computer where you can just push a button and turn it off. And, they do most of the programming themselves so they have no one to ask questions.

Not to mention they all have other jobs that probably pay way better.

bbtuna

Reaction score
I agree that x10 is likely the best solution for free hosting on the market but it seems to me they are sacrificing all the wrong things. Yes, features are nice, but as I stated earlier, but is more valuable to have a site online and working.

@Derek: Daily. Some days its just slow, and that's fine. Other days I get timed out, frustrating, but the site comes up again within a few minutes. Most often is certain periods of the day, for roughly 1-3 hours at a time, the site goes completely offline.

@garrettroyce: I sympathize with the staff and give them all the credit they deserve. I can only imagine the effort that goes into this sort of thing but it would seem to me that they would focus on up time more than anything else. *shrugs*

Derek

Community Support Force
Community Support
Reaction score
They are fixing stoli situation right now. Absolut should be up.

fbblogs

Reaction score
Yeah my site on stoli is sssssssssssllllllllllllllllllllooooooooowwwwww. I have site users complaining to me left and right about how they're having problems.

Cant complain myself though..its a free host.

Sammonaran

Reaction score
I hate all the downtime, but I love the services offered. I would say they balance out, but reliability is needed more than anything. It doesn't matter if you're the only one that sees how cool your site is because the server keeps going down...

However, I do appreciate this free service. In fact I might eventually pay a few bucks for the "Double Everything" package...I love this site and I'm so glad I found it (thanks to a little digging of course, but all the same)!

Hired_Goon

Reaction score
Yeah my site on stoli is sssssssssssllllllllllllllllllllooooooooowwwwww. I have site users complaining to me left and right about how they're having problems.

Cant complain myself though..its a free host.

But aren't your users important???? That's the part that annoys me the most!

I can handle downtime personally, but it's the quickest way to lose users.

Seems the more users I have, the more downtime I have.:rant2:

glenda

Reaction score
My site gardenlend.co.uk - hosted on Absolute - seems to be rather up and down at the moment. I realise that this is some way part of the price of free hosting and I stick with x10hosting as the features offered for no money are almost without compare. For this reason, I recommend the service to many who are developing their first sites, but am becoming less willing to do so when I cannot show them a functioning site as an example.

aoscomputing

Reaction score
http://forums.x10hosting.com/server-alerts/95756-server-maintenance-all-free-servers.html
Regarding Lotus,

We restored an image from Jan 29th. We were able to get all the databases from March 3rd before the server crashed. We were only able to recover around 20% of the files. The hard drive is now mounted as secondary in the server so we will attempt to get more of the files off of it if possible.

If you want your database restored from March 3rd please open a support ticket and link this post asking for it to be moved to administration. I'm just not sure we'll be able to get any files after the 29th.

-Corey

their hardisk crash .. :(

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.