Now let's get something straight...

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Well, two years ago Australia used to be one of the only nations that had ISPs that cap. Now, within the last year, many ISPs in the US and a few in the UK have begun capping users or starting trials, or stating plans to do so. One thing I don't understand is other than the urge for companies who are already successful to nickel and dime people, why is it that carriers want to restrict the amount of bandwidth people can use these days and then charge them ludicrous fees for something that costs virtually nothing? For example, a recent case involving Time Warner, states that Time Warner after a user goes over their allowed threshold of bandwidth, will be charged $1 a gigabyte they user. Now, based on information I've found on the internet, it only costs an ISP less than a penny to even transfer a gigabyte throughout their network, or at least a penny or two to another carrier. Now, I'm not trying to put one company on the spot, but as of right now, Verizon (who I have as an ISP) has been the only company in the US that has stated that they are not going to cap or throttle, and they are the same guys building out a fully fiber optic network. Many of the other known companies out there have either already began capping users or started trials, or have plans to do so.

Well, given this day in age where you can drain a gigabyte a data in no time (tell me about it, I'm doing a couple hundred gigabytes a month), what is your opinion on broadband capping? Broadband was designed to be able to run with unlimited use, not to have meters attached to it, and this is one topic that upsets me when I see it in the news.

Last edited:

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
totally inane. What reason do they give for doing this?

lemon-tree

x10 Minion
Community Support
Reaction score
I get frustrated when there is something I need to download but I know that the file size will eat lots of the monthly bandwidth. The solution is to download at non-peak times, where the bandwidth usage is not counted from the monthly total, but it does mean sitting waiting for it to download late at night.

alexandgruntz

Reaction score
New Zealand have had data caps on broadband as long as I can remember. 40GB/month is the biggest one I've come across.

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
New Zealand have had data caps on broadband as long as I can remember. 40GB/month is the biggest one I've come across.

wow, that's awful. Here, we get unlimited, $30 a month. I hope that won't change soon.

frankfriend

Reaction score
Sadly it is just a profit opportunity, a 'nice little earner'. Of course a penny is not a high cost, but a few million pennies a day mounts up - so the companies want to get as much as they can. You can get an unlimited account - but beware 'fair usage policy' - fair to whom, and who is the judge.
Of course the big carriers are full of insight - like BT which, a few years ago, got out of the mobile phone market - it wasn't going to catch on was it.

xPlozion

Reaction score
comcast has been capping people since october i believe. it's 250gb/mo iirc. I've got verizon fios right now, but going back to comcast since my dad got a job there...

Mitch

Reaction score
Luckily i have got cable with unlimited bandwidth. But there are company's who do the same here. (but i thought that was ADSL, not cable).

Last edited:

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
250GB a month? How do you manage to use all of that data? :O

It's really not all that hard. I'm sure that if I were to monitor someone's connection for a month, they'd be surprised on how much they actually use minus internet noise. When it comes down to it, if you're watching TV online, using Hulu/Netflix, watching or uploading HD video and trying out game betas/demos which are 2+GB big, you'll rack up data like crazy. Not to mention I have a large home network.

Hey, last month I did close to 700GB on a DSL Line. :biggrin:

Last edited:

Picard1595

Reaction score
As soon as Verizon FIOS is available in my area I am getting it and drop my current ISP

intertec

Reaction score
Well I live in Australia and the whole cap thing is finished. We don't have to pay if we go over our download limit, our internet speed just gets capped. So i don't know what you guys are talking about. There is probably only two companies in Australia who still do that and that is the mainstream one that everyone knows about but there prices are ridiculous and service is the worst. They are just everyone's first preference cause no one actually knows about technology and in internet in Australia.

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
Well I live in Australia and the whole cap thing is finished. We don't have to pay if we go over our download limit, our internet speed just gets capped. So i don't know what you guys are talking about. There is probably only two companies in Australia who still do that and that is the mainstream one that everyone knows about but there prices are ridiculous and service is the worst. They are just everyone's first preference cause no one actually knows about technology and in internet in Australia.

Let me guess, when you go over your cap, you get throttled to 128kbps? :biggrin:

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
I also don't understand the reason for this, because aside from maintenance a line will run itself. I believe it is to pay for executive bonuses ;)

I have comcast now, and even though I never go over the limit it still feels like a violation of the consumer's rights, even if between the lines of the fine print it says differently.

Last edited:

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
We seem to have been throttled, as speedtest.net reports 0.09mb/s. D:

That's a pile of fail! Today my router says I have transferred a total of 7.45GB of combined upload and download. Sounds like you guys might want to get a new ISP, one with an unlimited package (and not one that says unlimited but says caps in the TOS).

alexandgruntz

Reaction score
That's the problem. Unlimited plans don't exist. Telecom tried Go Large, but it failed horribly.