View on Refurbished Laptops

Zenax

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I was just wondering what your lots view on refurbished laptops are. About a year ago I brought a Dell Inspiron 1720 for around £600. Now I am looking into the possibility of buying a new laptop. Now on dells website I took the Dell Studio 17 and modified it to my specs which I think are powerful enough now.

Thing is the specs I created came in at around £750 which I think is a bit too much so i have been hunting on the web for a laptop of similar spec but at a cheaper price.

Current Spec:
Dell Inspiron 1720
1.83Ghz - 3GB RAM
250GB HDD Partitioned 3 times

Looking for:
2.4Ghz - 2/3GB RAM (3GB Preferred)
250GB HDD

I then came across refurbished laptops which seem to be a fair bit cheaper in price but I am not so sure on the build quality compared to a brand NEW unit.

If you guys have an suggestions (has to be UK based) then please give me a shout.

Zenax

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I have a very, very old Refurbished Dell Inspiron 3800GT which I take with me on vacation. It's about 10-11 years old and it still runs like a charm. Sure, a RAM slot went on it, but it's held up through quite a bit. Not sure if you'll have as much luck with refurbed units as I do though.

haslam1

Reaction score
all it is is an old laptop that's been gutted for usless parts repaired given a slight make over
and put on the market at a lower price these are ussally tougher than new ones as they have been tried and tested
if your in uk as you claim try laptopsdirect.co.uk nice and cheap or expensive

coxclan

Reaction score
all it is is an old laptop that's been gutted for usless parts repaired given a slight make over
and put on the market at a lower price these are ussally tougher than new ones as they have been tried and tested
if your in uk as you claim try laptopsdirect.co.uk nice and cheap or expensive

What about Asus laptops? Refurbished that is...

I've found some great deals on then, like 600 bucks for a top of the line one that would be 850 new, but I'm skeptical... why would there be so many laptops refurbished if they worked so well?

Hauzer

Reaction score
Refurbished laptops are not bad at all. Their basically new, but you maybe able to notice little things which are not really too big.

For cheap deals, I would recommend eBay. Take a look at Argos Clearance bargains on eBay. This laptop for £800.00 gives you everything you need, it's refurbished, if it wasn't the price of this laptop would be sky-high.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HP-DV7-1125-1...34.c0.m14.l1262&_trkparms=|301:1|293:1|294:30

Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 processor.
2.26GHz processor speed.
3MB L2 cache.
4GB RAM.

17in WXGA High-definition AG with BrightView Infinity display.
Resolution 1440 x 900 pixels.

320GB SATA hard drive.

Super multi format dual layer with Blu-ray ROM optical drive.

nVidia GeForce 9600M GT graphics card.
Upt o 1791MB total graphics memory with 512MB dedicated.

5 in 1 media card reader - compatible with SD, MMC, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO, xD.
4 USB ports.
1 Ethernet port.
1 FireWire port.

Bluetooth.
Remote control infrared port.
HP Pavilion webcam with integrated microphone.
High speed modem.
Wireless enabled.

Windows Vista Home Premium operating system installed.
Software included:
Microsoft Works.
Microsoft Internet Explorer.
Windows Mail.
Adobe(r) Reader.
Windows Media Player.
Windows Photo Gallery.
DVD Play.
Windows Movie Maker.
Windows DVD Maker.
Cyberlink DVD Suite.
Windows Media Center.
QuickPlay for Windows.
Digital Persona fingerprint reader.
HP Total Care Advisor.

Size (H)4.5, (W)39.6, (D)28.5cm.
Weight 3.46kg.

Includes: remote control, laptop, manual guide, power adapter.

Picard1595

Reaction score
There are a few good sites where I buy refurb stuff such as newegg.com and geeks.com, I have bought plenty of tech stuff from both of those places and its all in good condition and there support is great.