Installing Linux

steronius

Reaction score
I agree, an internet service is practically a requirement.

My biggest complaint about linux is VIDEO DRIVERS. Installing official drivers is a pain, and most attempts are unsuccessful for me.

I'm sure guides are available somewhere, but let me just give a little info:
You can use VMWare or you can use http://www.virtualbox.org/ or even http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/support/virtual-pc-2007.aspx.

I'm not an authority, but VMWare workstation is not free. VMWare Server is free, but i never used it. VMWare player is free, but you need an existing Guest OS Image. The other two products mentioned above are completely free.

Based only on my personal experience, I like Sun's VirtualBox best. MS' Virtual PC might be easier at first, but VirtualBox is more capable, once you get past the learning curve of setting up a VM.

Last edited:

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Make sure you get Ubuntu! Its the best!

-Kevin
Have you been following this thread? That's the disto he got and has.:nuts:

I will agree with you though that Ubuntu is the best as far as inexperience users go.

Last edited:

taha116

Reaction score
So i started using my linux PC more and more and recently there was some updates in Update Manager... i did them and next thing i know sound dosent work anymore... I tried not to bug ppl about it and looked for solutions on ubuntu forums... There were quite a few discussions.. mostly on 8.04 and prior... i found one on 9.04 and i tried to follow some of the solutions but they didnt work. I was here

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1130858&page=3

I tried this:
http://moderngeek.com/node/10
wich just seemed to have added more options and sound controls so like i have two little microphone icons on the top right.

Then i tried Tapas Bose, India's soltuion wich also failed... I am really ticked off right now so if anyone knows what i should do now id be very grateful

mohammadamir

Reaction score
Is your players work normally?Without any error?
While ubuntu loading no any error occurs on Sound?

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
What update did you install? You need to set ubuntu to only install essential updates. If you let it install the non tested, it can mess somethings up.

steronius

Reaction score
... and next thing i know sound dosent work anymore...

I don't know for certain, but you can try using synaptic package manager to reinstall "pulseaudio", "libpulse0","libpulsecore9" "pulseaudio-esound-compat" and maybe some other of those pulse audio related packages.

after looking at my synaptic, i also see "alsa-base" "libasound2" "lib32asound2" "libsesd-alsa0" and a couple others, i guess just verify they are installed or reinstalled.

Last edited:

lhyman

Reaction score
Make sure you get Ubuntu! Its the best!

-Kevin

I tried every linux distro there is on my system, the only one that supported all my hardware and ran with no messups the first time is FEDORA, so for me Fedora is the best...

steronius

Reaction score
did you have to add your user to the sudoers file? i forget which distro's need that, it' turns me off.

taha116

Reaction score
tried re-isntalling pulse already with synaptic.. no diff, the point is though why did it screw up anyways? before i installed pulse it did that. Maybe i should look into fedora also.

rlodge

Reaction score
One distro I found by mistake recently was Mint Linux (Mint Linux URL) and so far was the easiest to install and setup. Sound, video, and wireless all worked (even from a Live CD all I had to do to get wireless to work was to give the key for my wireless router and I was online with wireless from a Live CD. This only worked once for me with Ubuntu). You can check it out if you want.

I'm no Linux expert and you seem to be getting a lot of help here but I just thought I would throw that option out. It's as easy (if not easier) than Ubuntu is to set up.

steronius

Reaction score
[...]the point is though why did it screw up anyways? [...]

I have no clue, I have NEVER had audio issues using any linux distro.

One distro I found by mistake recently was Mint Linux (Mint Linux URL) [...]

I've used this one also. I like the fact that the live CD has flash already. other than that, I see a different menu system and a little eye candy. Maybe there's more, but i'm fine with standard ubuntu/xubuntu.

Also there are quite a few ubuntu based distro's out there, i came across Moon OS which i'd like to test.

http://www.blogisonfire.com/2009/08/mint-and-moon-more-netbook-linux.html

but i might be playing with FreeBSD, DesktopBSD, or PC-BSD before that.

Last edited:

jensen

Reaction score
Mint is based on Ubuntu but spiced up to look cooler and more like windows interphase

dark.neo

Reaction score
I think if u prefer the graphics or the visual efects, maybe you install ubuntu with something like beril.

Or maybe SUSE, CENTOS, MANDRIVA, RED HAT, or something like the linux kernel, using a desktop type gnome or KDE u decide.

But the most easy and recomended for new users is ubuntu.