web page hit counters ? but which one?

divebuddha

Reaction score
ok guys just a few quick questions from a newby

i want to put a web counter on my index page but dont know which is t he best way to do it ?

all i want to do is see how many hits my site has had not really bothered about the deeper stuff

now would anyone recomemend using one of these free hit stats counters a company makes up for u and u copy and paste the html code

or make my own and store the information from that in a file inside of my folders?

any ideas would be good and how too,s would be even better ?

i dont have any experience of coding and just about mannaging to grasp HTML

thanks for any advice

best wishes leigh

http://divebuddha.x10hosting.com/ :pat:

twiztedstudiez

Reaction score
I've used http://www.statcounter.com/ in the past for stat counters. It's really simple. You customize it a bit, then at the end they give you the code to copy and paste onto your site. Just take the code and paste it wherever you want it to show up on your website. I wouldn't attempt creating your own, it's just too much work for what a counter actually does. If you set the counter to only record every unique visitor, then it will only count people who have not visited your website within a certain time frame (I believe the default is 1hr) This makes it so that it doesn't count a new visitor every time they refresh your website.

twiztedstudiez

Reaction score
There r many use ne1

Yeah this is true. If you do a quick Google search you'll find that. The only main difference I've really seen is that some give you more options to customize. Some also give you the option to see full stats. Cpanel already gives you basic visitor information.

galacticgraphix

Reaction score
I use Histats.com and I am very happy with it. It gives you lots of useful information. Which country your visitors are in, time of day, how long they stayed on your web page, and more! I recommend it.

divebuddha

Reaction score
cheers guys for the help looks like i will be sorting a counter out from the web

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
I coded a very simple one (logs page visited, time of visit, User Agent and IP). The php file is quite small, so there won't be much added load time.

However, I currently use it to test a program I am coding, so if you want me to show you the code ( I'll need to edit it a bit), PM me.

biosmods

Reaction score
I use google Analytics , as it provides much more information like number of visitors , how many hits from each country , how many vists per day (with graphs etc) and you can export them to XML , PDF or email them to yourself. Its also completely free and doesnt annoy your users with any visible images (code is invisible :D)

www.google.com/analyticsif you want to check it out.

Regards
Bios Mods

mavr1c

Reaction score
I coded a very simple one (logs page visited, time of visit, User Agent and IP). The php file is quite small, so there won't be much added load time.

However, I currently use it to test a program I am coding, so if you want me to show you the code ( I'll need to edit it a bit), PM me.

I would be most interested in evaluating, using your code if are willing to share. Thanks! ;)

Jim pdlc@rocketmail.com