Fedora vs Ubuntu, what?

ah-blabla

Reaction score
What are your needs? It is hard to tell what is the best GNU/Linux distro unless you know what your aims are. There is no "best" GNU/Linux distro as such. (Well the best is actually a system built from scratch, since you have everything exactly as you want it, but that's can be hard to do.)

I myself have never tried Fedora, but have heard it's quite good. Ubuntu is also very good, and one of the easiest distros for new GNU/Linux users. On the other hand Ubuntu can sometimes be rather annoying at times.

And BTW, the choice isn't that important. Try one at first, once you get more knowledgeable you will learn what is better for you / what you like more. You are free to change distro at any time if you want.

Last edited:

natrobius

Reaction score
Fedora is more reliable, sorry if that offends anyone, but it's fact not opinion. Fedora is sponsored by RedHat, and the people steering the development process have a lot of experience in the linux world.

Ubuntu is easy to install, and has more eye candy. It will however break, and give hell supporting your software. If you need something "easy" then just use openSuse. It's REALLY easy to install, and their partnership with other companies has allowed for more compatibility.

ah-blabla

Reaction score
Fedora is more reliable, sorry if that offends anyone, but it's fact not opinion. Fedora is sponsored by RedHat, and the people steering the development process have a lot of experience in the linux world.
Proof? -- until you do that it is still opinion. Fedora is sponsored by RedHat (true), but also partly used as a test-bed for RedHat. Ubuntu people also have a lot of experience, and Ubuntu is based off Debian which is a really stable distro. Then again if Linus uses Fedora, I'm sure it's pretty good. (Fedora is the next Distro on my to-test list...) I wouldn't go around making baseless claims like this though unless you have hard evidence to back them up. (One of the most stable distros I have tried is Debian actually. I'm not saying that is the most stable distro though -- stability depends on what the user does as well.)
Ubuntu is easy to install, and has more eye candy. It will however break, and give hell supporting your software. If you need something "easy" then just use openSuse. It's REALLY easy to install, and their partnership with other companies has allowed for more compatibility.
openSuse is quite good actually as well -- really user friendly, and just as easy as Ubuntu to install. But any system can be broken, the only time I ever broke an Ubuntu system was trying to get KDE 3.5 under Ubuntu 9.04, which broke a few things, but since this was all using an unofficial repo it doesn't count as Ubuntu breaking, but rather as PICNIC (problem in chair...).

Danielx386

Reaction score
I like Ubuntu. I tried Fedora, but I found it keep crashing on my system (Virtual box and installed in dual boot config)

hlastimosa

Reaction score
depends on your actual needs , ubuntu has lots of cool features , but my personal favorite for servers is Fedora. Though I like Ubuntu , you can actually install it in Windows as well as fedora though.

Mr. DOS

Reaction score
Ubuntu's nice and user-friendly, but the overall polish seems to grow duller and duller with every release, with anything from regressions in popular drivers to outright broken features.

Fedora's good in that it largely doesn't have these problems (mind you, neither do pretty much all other distros!) but something about it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Personally, I'm currently running Debian on both my VPS (which hosts several websites) and my home server (which is largely for LAN file hosting), and CentOS on the two servers I admin for work. CentOS was chosen for work because they were coming from FC4 so I wanted something fairly close to make getting it up and running faster, and Debian was chosen for me because I'm more comfortable with it. The next desktop I install with Linux will probably be Gentoo, just to try it out. I really like the idea of controlling my build from the ground up.

--- Mr. DOS

steronius

Reaction score
I'm no expert, but this is what i think too:

I've installed Fedora once and quit, the only reason being that i had to add my user name to the sudoers file manually, and if i recall correctly i could not properly install virtualbox tools. but i admit this was when i was first re-introducing myself to linux. From what i understand Fedora is the desktop (end user) version of RedHat.

Since then I've tried a few distros. I agree sometime ubuntu will break, they update a little too often. However, this is the distro i use. i've figured out how to fix occasional breaks, and mostly they break only due to being in a VM. Google searches have solved all my problems.

With that said, if you want stable, enterprise and free then go CentOS. it's the free equivalent of RedHat. In fact it's "binary compatible" with redhat, only you don't have to buy a license and support. But the kicker for me is again adding username to sudoers file, and installing (in this case) vmware tools. CentOS does not seem to come with with the c++ compiler already installed. (necessary for vmware tools installation) And thus, again is another reason i choose Ubuntu.

As others have said Ubuntu is Debian based. I once installed debian only to have the same issue as with the others distros. (sudoers and tools problems).
I know how to "fix" these minor issues, but i like the fact that in Ubuntu i dont have to.

Gouri

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
In between these two then I like fedora. I am using it for years. It didn't let me down till now.

caseypaite

Reaction score
If you want an easy to use Linux distro you can just install and use Ubuntu. If you think you will be well off with the configuration and settings of any Linux distro I would recommend Fedora. I don't actually use any of the above, I use OpenSUSE.

Last edited:

redwheel

Reaction score
i was fairly new to linux and wanted to dual boot it on my laptop. I ended up trying Ubuntu first using WUBI but had problems with it.

But now i have put on a normal install of Ubuntu and it works fine. I think i would have too agree with some of the earlier post and say just try one and if you dont like it try a different one.

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
The best thing would be to get a live CD of both fedora and Ubuntu, test them out and see which one do you prefer. With the Live CDs, you'll always be able to install the other distro as dualboot or over the first one.

smurfboi76

Reaction score
I use Ubuntu for basically everything. I haven't had to many problems I have destroyed the operating system several times by my tweaking of things. But I have to say that it is fairly stable and easy to use. Sometimes they have a rough update that can cause some havoc but gets fixed pretty quick. Oh and I should mention this has all happened on my Inspiron 6000 which is a Dell. I am going to be getting a System76 computer soon. So there is my limited two cents on operating systems.

risket

Reaction score
I have yet to try Fedora but I use Ubuntu a lot. If an older computer can run it you can turn an old slow computer into a decent machine. My wife and I have a slow old Windows XP Pro computer that's so slow we put it near the kitchen and only use it for looking up recipes. I but Ubuntu on it and now it's faster than it was when it was brand new.

Last edited:

smurfboi76

Reaction score
Yeah I have to say I noticed that when I switch my laptop over and it was great it even would load faster than my friends dual core Vista machine even after we turned off all the things that Windows wants Vista to start up with. I feel in love with it from that day on.

cybrax

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Very suprised by Ubuntu and would encourage anybody who is used to Win XP should feel right at home with this package.

As for those who like their 'Eye Candy' then the 'Puppy' linux distro is worth a look, or a second look if you only dimly recall the early versions of this suprisingly good yet very lightweight operating system. we regulary get people mistaking it for the new Windowz 7

danthanh

Reaction score
Between Fedora and Ubuntu ? I like Ubuntu because it is easy install and use.