Windows xp sp3 won't load

fllrfth

Reaction score
Hello,

Running Windows XP3 using Internet Explorer 8 (rencently upgraded to 8) on an Toshiba A215 laptop. Problem; I upgraded Windows Media and the very next day when trying to log on the Operating system (Windows XP SP3) would'nt load at all, tried system restore and restored it to a earlier date and time, tried the "last know configuration" but still nothing. While tring to load it goes to the black screen with safe mode options etc... I can access Windows XP via safe mode however. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Zubair

Community Leader
Community Support
Reaction score
Hello,

Running Windows XP3 using Internet Explorer 8 (rencently upgraded to 8) on an Toshiba A215 laptop. Problem; I upgraded Windows Media and the very next day when trying to log on the Operating system (Windows XP SP3) would'nt load at all, tried system restore and restored it to a earlier date and time, tried the "last know configuration" but still nothing. While tring to load it goes to the black screen with safe mode options etc... I can access Windows XP via safe mode however. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Where windows stuck when you boot the computer..

CWeb Creative

Reaction score
Hmm have you tried running a virus scan when in safe mode because one of my friends had a similar problem due to a virus. (if you dont have an antivirus program i recommend avg free or microsoft security essentials)

fllrfth

Reaction score
no, win xp tries to boot then an blue screen appears and disappears so fast you can't read what it says, you can barely see that it's actually an blue screen then the black screen appears giving me the option to open in safe mode etc...

fllrfth

Reaction score
yes, I've ran two (Malwarebytes and Avira), Avira found an virus attached to the Explorer 8 I downloaded, so that was fixed using the Avira program.

Zubair

Community Leader
Community Support
Reaction score
no, win xp tries to boot then an blue screen appears and disappears so fast you can't read what it says, you can barely see that it's actually an blue screen then the black screen appears giving me the option to open in safe mode etc...

As I know Blue Screen error usually occur when there is something wrong with hardware.. Unplug RAM and clean it and then plug it back. Also change the slot...

See If this solve your problem.

Last edited:

vishal

-::-X10 Guru-::-
Community Support
Reaction score
If you can log into SAFE MODE then i recommend you to use a Free Software provided by Trend Micro called Hijack This.Very usefull.I creates a LOG of all startup programs.You can even disable them with Hijack This.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Grab the error code the Blue Screen mentions before you start messing with ANYTHING. What you need to do is press F8 just before you see the Windows XP logo but after your PC's logo shows and choose the option "Do not restart on system failure" or something along those lines. Once this option is enabled, the system will remain at a blue screen until you manually restart the PC. If you can give me the error message it shows, I can see how easy of a fix this will be.

Last edited:

vishal

-::-X10 Guru-::-
Community Support
Reaction score

I recommend you that you backup all you files first.You can use Linux distribution like knoppix .

steronius

Reaction score
IF you have a second computer or drive to copy to, then like vishal said, use Knoppix, trinityrescue or another linux based liveCD to boot and save your files.

TRY to boot safe mode with command prompt and type CHKDSK /F (possibly CHDSK /F /R). try a reboot. if fails, try safe mode, and check updates again.

You could try system restore (safe mode), but that never works. (Start>Programs>Accessories>System Restore)

IF all else fails try booting from XP cd and do a "repair install" (only available from XP Pro CD not Home) http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/doug92.mspx

fllrfth

Reaction score
Smith6612, Boss is the Best, vishal2 and steronius, great solutions and recommendations, Thanks, I will try to exercise each one in the event one of them don't work, but first I want to start with yours Smith6612; I followed your procedure and was able to get the info off the blue screen, it reads:

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. BAD_POOL_CALLER"

Then there's more dialog to the effect of restarting the computer.
Then it states: "check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed...

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing...

Technical information:

***STOP: oxooooooc2 (0x00000040, 0x00000000, 0x80000000, 0x00000000)"

Also Smith6612 I can't find the XP CD I used to put in Win XP, is it possible to undo the windows media upgrade I did right before the problem occurred?

Thanks.

fllrfth

Reaction score
Smith6612, Thanks, I followed your procedure and was able to get the info off the blue screen, it reads: "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

BAD_POOL_CALLER"

Then it states: "check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed...

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing...

Technical information:

Also Smith6612 I can't find the XP CD I used to put in Win XP, is it possible to undo the windows media upgrade I did right before the problem occurred?

Thanks.

fllrfth

Reaction score
Grab the error code the Blue Screen mentions before you start messing with ANYTHING. What you need to do is press F8 just before you see the Windows XP logo but after your PC's logo shows and choose the option "Do not restart on system failure" or something along those lines. Once this option is enabled, the system will remain at a blue screen until you manually restart the PC. If you can give me the error message it shows, I can see how easy of a fix this will be.

Smith6612, Thanks, I followed your procedure and was able to get the info off the blue screen, it reads: "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

BAD_POOL_CALLER"

Technical information:

Thanks.

P.S. scratch that last part, we've found the XP CD (an copy of it anyway) can I use it to fix the problem.

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
As typical with any of Microsoft's BSODs, they tend to be very vague in terms of what they mean. This particular message can be caused from bad drivers, bad software installs, to bad hardware. Since you can boot into Windows XP via System Restore, have you tried running the obvious System Restore to restore back to before you installed the update or did you already do that, since you never mentioned.

Last edited:

fllrfth

Reaction score
As typical with any of Microsoft's BSODs, they tend to be very vague in terms of what they mean. This particular message can be caused from bad drivers, bad software installs, to bad hardware. Since you can boot into Windows XP via System Restore, have you tried running the obvious System Restore to restore back to before you installed the update or did you already do that, since you never mentioned.

Smith6621 , I'm sure with that much knowledge of computers your very busy so I Thank you for your time and expertise. Yes I tried system restore, restored it to the hour or so (check point) before the upgrade. The only thing I did before the problem was the upgrade to Windows Media 11 so if system restore didn't work is it likely that it's more of an hardware problem than software? and at this point are we talking computer tech $$$$$ ? Although an format and reinstall would be an painful process for me because of the extreme drama I went through to get this thing up an running do you think that (format and reinstall) would work?.

fllrfth

Reaction score
Smith6621 , I'm sure with that much knowledge of computers your very busy so I Thank you for your time and expertise. Yes I tried system restore, restored it to the hour or so (check point) before the upgrade. The only thing I did before the problem was the upgrade to Windows Media 11 so if system restore didn't work is it likely that it's more of an hardware problem than software? and at this point are we talking computer tech $$$$$ ? Although an format and reinstall would be an painful process for me because of the extreme drama I went through to get this thing up an running do you think that (format and reinstall) would work?.

update, I can nolonger logon via safe mode, an notice appears that reads: "this application has failed to start because WININET.dll was not found. Reinstalling the application mat fix this problem", that doesn't sound good. Also I can get into recovery console" via the XP CD is there anything I can do from there like saving the files etc...

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
Normally I use Linux Distros such as Knoppix to grab files from the C Drive of Windows PCs to put them onto removable disks. Otherwise, what you need to do is proceed to install Windows, however when prompted, instead of Install or Format, to use the Repair Install. It should be located right after the option to start up the Recovery Console. Before you do this however, do you know which version of Internet Explorer you had installed?

Last edited:

fllrfth

Reaction score
Normally I use Linux Distros such as Knoppix to grab files from the C Drive of Windows PCs to put them onto removable disks. Otherwise, what you need to do is proceed to install Windows, however when prompted, instead of Install or Format, to use the Repair Install. It should be located right after the option to start up the Recovery Console. Before you do this however, do you know which version of Internet Explorer you had installed?

yes, Explorer 6, then I upgraded to 8.

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
Ah, that will be a little harder to fix since repair in XP really needs to have IE6 installed unfortunately. You can try a repair installation, however if it doesn't work enough so you can get into System Restore or fix the PC entirely, you'll probably need to reformat.