DeskJet F4435 on TrendNet TE100-P1U URGENT!!!

btfog

Reaction score
I set-up a HP DeskJet F4435 Printer with a TrendNet TE100-P1U Print Server fine a few weeks ago, watched it print. Needless to say, things have changed. My cousin who lives at that house is always fiddlin with the stuff I set up down there, and she was trying to get the thing to scan and messed it up. I came down there and tried to fix it; I gave it a factory reset and followed the quick installation guide. I failed to get it to work, for the printed is not communicating to the print server. I know that the cord is not bum, however, it works when I plugged it into the 7 laptop they have down there. Any ideas? I'm open to anything.

krofunk

Reaction score
Do you have a client on your pc to connect to the print server? I have a netgear pc110 which sometimes drops connection just like you...I fix the problem by connecting to the server using a client provided by netgear (this requires knowing the ip address of the server.

as you mentioned this is in a house so I doubt that domains/netmask's are the problem.

btfog

Reaction score
see all the computer can connect to the server fine and dandy. the problem lies in the fact that the print server won't communicate with the printer. I have them plugged in by USB but they are not communicating with each other. thx for the response

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Do you have another printer to try using on the print server? We need to rule that out as well since you have ruled out the printer's USB port already by verifying it works with a PC. Also, check to make sure the printer ports are correct inside of the PCs that use the printer. You can find that under the Printer Properties in the control panel. Since this is a network print server, it should be connecting to the correct IP address. This is especially the case with DHCP systems, not so much Static IP systems.

Oh, and also let your cousin know to stop messing with the stuff down "there" if they are always screwing stuff up. Nothing is more time consuming than repairing messed up stuff. My home network here is locked down on the router. You can't change anything without my sudo password. Of course, if you touch the access point, the modem, the router or one of the many gigabit switches on the network, I'll find out rather quickly.

btfog

Reaction score
Do you have another printer to try using on the print server? We need to rule that out as well since you have ruled out the printer's USB port already by verifying it works with a PC. Also, check to make sure the printer ports are correct inside of the PCs that use the printer. You can find that under the Printer Properties in the control panel. Since this is a network print server, it should be connecting to the correct IP address. This is especially the case with DHCP systems, not so much Static IP systems.
See, the thing is, I watched it work from 2 different computer one night; haven't been able to get down there since I first discovered the problem so... It'll be awhile to check the USB port since they threw out there old printer. Anything else you think I could test it with?

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
See, the thing is, I watched it work from 2 different computer one night; haven't been able to get down there since I first discovered the problem so... It'll be awhile to check the USB port since they threw out there old printer. Anything else you think I could test it with?

Can't think of anything off of the top of my head. Does the unit have any form of built-in diagnostics? Does it give any interesting readings?

btfog

Reaction score
The server has three on diagnostic lights on front: if it is on its all good, if one of them is off, its not good. The LAN and power lights are on; the USB light is not. The printer is HP(itiful) so no help there.

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
The server has three on diagnostic lights on front: if it is on its all good, if one of them is off, its not good. The LAN and power lights are on; the USB light is not. The printer is HP(itiful) so no help there.

Definitely find a way to check the server with another printer to make sure USB lights up. It's hard to imagine that it would just stop working with a printer all of a sudden even with a bit of tinkering to it.

krofunk

Reaction score
possibly a "daft" suggestion but if the usb port on the print server is a standard female usb port then you could plug a different usb device into it (memory key etc) and if its power light (on the memory key) comes on then you know at the very least that the port on the server is live.

btfog

Reaction score
Hmmmmmmmmmm...... I'll have to try that with a memory stick...

krofunk

Reaction score
It seemed like a logical idea at the time, in practice it might be different but its worth a shot :wink: