The 'N' word!

ata.online

Reaction score
I understand this is a sensitive subject for blacks and Afro-carribean people. But can someone explain why this word is so offensive to black people.
I mean i am asian living in U.K and i have heard all sorts of racist remarks thrown at asian people. But, for me personally, it doesn't really bother me.

I heard it is to do with their history. When the white people used them as slaves. I am sure there is more to it than that.

priyaa161

Reaction score
I have the same opinion like You. But I don't like to be with Black color people not because I've a feeling of hatred but because they look little untidy.

But they must not make issue with a single word "Black".

Last edited:

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I'm sure most people these days are fine with some of these discriminatory words. The real issue really comes down to people just being a bit rude or should I say, having too much pride in oneself. The offensive part of the word is of course due to the history itself that the Black race has been forced to go through, but obviously today it's now a massive sign of disrespect and a sign of immaturity.

ata.online

Reaction score
I'm sure most people these days are fine with some of these discriminatory words.

If you mean black people in general are fine with that 'word', i have to disagree with you there.

Not sure if you know what happened to football manager Ron Atkinson when he mentioned that word on air:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iuBrk7nUi8

thescoop

Reaction score
Two things about the n-word young black Americans uses the word amongst themselves without impunity and out of unadulterated ignorance. Non-blacks use of the word is either out of ignorance or racism. Racist will use the word in an effort to berate and/or to try to emotionally disturb black people. When used by racist, blacks must learn not to allow such usage to get the best of them for once racist see that the term has no affect they will eventually stop using the word.

Unfortunately, it is a misguided and mislead Black America who is today disrespecting themselves and keeping that word alive. This is done out of ignorance and is inexcusable and unacceptable. To learn why this is so and why those Blacks who do use the word need to refrain from doing so please go to http://www.theunitedvoices.com

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
It used to be a normal word, like asian or black, and then it was coined.

I've been to places where it isn't a bad word and is used all the time :)

~Callum

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
It really depends on a person. If a person can get offended by a single word that person have a problem and needs professional help. There's no much black people where I live so I haven't had the chance to talk about this but I know I can't get offended by a single word, especially not from a person I don't even know.

This thread should be in Crossfire section.

thescoop

Reaction score
I'm curious if someone referred to leviathon as a
pedophile would he be offended? After-all it is just a word.

Last edited:

priyaa161

Reaction score

You are also writing his name so it is now two words. If you'll only write "pedophile" then I'm sure he will not bother at all.

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score

I know who I am and theres no one word that can change that. I'm not a pedophile so, no, I wouldn't feel offended. On the other hand if somebody accuses me of being something I'm not I'll protect my dignity using any means necessary to do so.

You are also writing his name so it is now two words. If you'll only write "pedophile" then I'm sure he will not bother at all.

That's not my name so theres one more reason not to be offended :)

Last edited:

mithe

Reaction score
I think it's the intent behind the word that can be offensive.

I don't use the 'n' word, I don't like it.

I have edited out my vocabulary quite a bit, 'gay' is simply to describe a homosexual and not to demean others.

ata.online

Reaction score
Two things about the n-word young black Americans uses the word amongst themselves without impunity and out of unadulterated ignorance. Non-blacks use of the word is either out of ignorance or racism. Racist will use the word in an effort to berate and/or to try to emotionally disturb black people. When used by racist, blacks must learn not to allow such usage to get the best of them for once racist see that the term has no affect they will eventually stop using the word.

Unfortunately, it is a misguided and mislead Black America who is today disrespecting themselves and keeping that word alive. This is done out of ignorance and is inexcusable and unacceptable. To learn why this is so and why those Blacks who do use the word need to refrain from doing so please go to http://www.theunitedvoices.com

Just wondering...I assume from your post you are black. Just interesting to see answers on this issue from a black person's perspective.
Are there anyone else who is black here.?
Also, it's interesting when black music have the 'N' word associated with it. But offensive when a non black mentions it.
I understand it is seen as racism if it is mentioned by white/asians but why promote the 'N' word in songs if the word is so degrading to black people?
Of course, if these songs are sung in every place, white/asians will like the tune and sing along the 'N' word. I just find it surprising.

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
Initially, the 'n' word meant men in the slave's languages. When white colonists and slave trades came along, they heard the word, and decided to use it, to refer to slaves. This is when the term took it's downgrading and racist connotation.
I usually tolerate the 'N' word usage around me because it's only my friends that jokingly use it, not to downgrade but simply to fool around. And I do the same about them.

Last edited:

thescoop

Reaction score
Initially, the 'n' word meant men in the slave's languages. When white colonists and slave trades came along, they heard the word, and decided to use it, to refer to slaves. This is when the term took it's downgrading and racist connotation.
I usually tolerate the 'N' word usage around me because it's only my friends that jokingly use it, not to downgrade but simply to fool around. And I do the same about them.

I am always amazed at to the length black users of the n-word will go to try and justify their use of the n-word; even to the point of being misleading, deceptive and outright lying. Your claim that the slaves first used the word n**ger amongst themselves and that it meant "men" and that the white colonists and slaver traders took the word from the slaves is false and a fabrication.

priyaa161

Reaction score
From the word, it looks like it is somehow related to the country (You know which country).

espfutbol98

Reaction score
Being a white guy living in Texas with alot of black friends, in high-school at least, when white people say "nigga" most black people think they are posers, or trying to act black but often times as long as you know them, they don't mind at all. Now saying "nigger" is completely different and it doesn't matter if it's just a word, it brings back memories of times when blacks were sprayed with fire hoses, bitten by police dogs, hanged from trees, and dragged from cars. I personally think that word should never be used again and in school, we have been showed videos of the 1960s and civil rights era of the things mentioned above so we don't forget.

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Congrads espfutbol98 you are the first one to write the full word instead on just 'N' word. priyaa161 tried it with n**ger but you did it :)

I'm interested to see if anybody would feel offended by it, now that it's finally here?

priyaa161

Reaction score
Congrads espfutbol98 you are the first one to write the full word instead on just 'N' word. priyaa161 tried it with n**ger but you did it :)

I'm interested to see if anybody would feel offended by it, now that it's finally here?

Nobody's gonna feel offended. They know this word much more better than us. But I don't want to take the risk.

Last edited: