New Plan Question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

msm10

Reaction score
Question to support team.

In the thread about the new plan, it was mentioned that there will be a footer added to the end of emails. I host my companies site on your hosting service and this would cause emails to look less professional. I have never abused your email system in any way and have no intention to. Is there any way you could implement to remove this footer for certain accounts?

Thanks. Martin

Derek

Community Support Force
Community Support
Reaction score
It will only be removed if paid hosting is purchased.. I am not sure but if there was a one time fee for a footer removal that would be good, I may bring that up to the admins. You can use Google Hosted Apps email and that should remove the footers.. http://google.com/a it doesn't take up your webhosting space.

Last edited:

msm10

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. Surely this would still go through the X10 mail server and a footer would still be added? If you could bring this up with admins that would be great.

Cheers. Martin

dlukin

Reaction score
You can use Google Hosted Apps email and that should remove the footers..

The problem with that is apparently x10 has blocked the SMTP ports needed to use that. Repeated questions here have gotten no response. So please, do not make suggestions that x10 is not willing to accommodate.

calistoy

Free Support Volunteer
Community Support
Reaction score
Last edited:

Derek

Community Support Force
Community Support
Reaction score
I don't think you get it.

Another one of you Community Advocates can't seem to make it work

http://x10hosting.com/forums/free-hosting/120189-outgoing-port-465-gmail-smtp-open.html

And if you don't think SMTP isn't the only way, please explain how to send mail from a x10hosting script without going through the x10 mail server without using SMTP.

Hello, this thread is about the footers in x10's emails and we suggested Google Apps this is not about how you need STMP for sending emails.. I suggest you try another method of sending emails.

dlukin

Reaction score
I suggest you try another method of sending emails.

Then please tell me how to send emails from a script on x10 without going through your mail servers so I, and others, can avoid the footers. And also so we can avoid our emails from landing in spam folders. And also so we can put less pressure on your mail servers.

msm10

Reaction score
Derek, Thank you for getting my thread back on track!
dlukin, Exactly, us non rule breakers don't really think this footer idea is a good one. I understand its needs but could it not possibly be added to only offenders? This would then enable it to act as a deterrent aswell as a report - encouragement mechanism.

Martin

calistoy

Free Support Volunteer
Community Support
Reaction score
For it to be applied to only offenders would be pointless because those accounts would be suspended with the possibility of being permanently suspended for termination. Just how would the offenders be identified in the first place? Think of the footer as protection for the integrity of your hosting account on the chance that your email address was spoofed leading you to be falsely accused by the victims of spam.

msm10

Reaction score
Imagine you being one of my clients. I've sent you an email and on the bottom is a footer that reads. "Sent from X10hosting." What would you think. Maybe this idea should be put to a vote.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Imagine you being one of my clients. I've sent you an email and on the bottom is a footer that reads. "Sent from X10hosting." What would you think. Maybe this idea should be put to a vote.

Imagine me being one of your clients. I send you an email and receive no response, and go to another service provider. I look in my spam folder 14 days later and see your reply in the spam bin because the entire server got black-flagged because of there being no footer.

That's the counter point, and frankly x10 and the non-abusers are tired of having to get the servers unblacklisted because someone felt free hosting meant they could spam thousands of folks without a reason. If this does indeed help, it's a small price to pay.

Edit: I know this si a bit harsh the way I worded it, but that's my hard-as-concrete position on the issue. Mostly cause it's never just 1 or 2 people reporting their mail is blacklisted - it's 10-20+ who report, and probably closer to a few hundred (given the thousands of accounts x10 has) who can't be bothered to post to add their voice, or who see the issue's been reported so they don't add to it. That's a lot of people it affects every time it gets blacklisted. Anything that can be done to prevent it from getting blacklisted -should- be done, and a footer certainly helps.

Edit 2: Quick thought; isn't it yahoo or hotmail that adds a footer to all their stuff as well? Course the difference there is you tend not to use them as a commercial business email, but the same can be said for using a free hosting service to do the same. If it prevents/hinders abuse (and it certainly seems to in the case of hotmail and yahoo), then I'm all for it.

Last edited:

msm10

Reaction score
Yeah ok, I see your point. However, it would be good to be able to have a way to send emails without the footers. If anybody could suggest a way to do this, I would be very grateful.

Cheers. Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.