Who Here Grabbed Windows 7?

stardom

Reaction score
I grabbed up 7 Ultimate (32) to replace my Vista Home Premium (32). I am thinking i should have went with 64 bit so i can maximize my machine. It came with some really nice features. If you don't like it you can revert some of it back to a more vista feel. Nice additions like the snap feature, snippet tool (great for screen shots ) and the always cool aero feature. you can shake the window you want to grab the attention of and minimize every other window. which i thought i was kinda nifty if you multi-task like i do.

mattblog

Reaction score
Its a good windows version but soon enough another one with come up and it will be even better. Besides id rather not buy windows 7 for 400$ if i can just grab a windows laptop, already on windows seven, for 350$.

csc2ya

Reaction score
I grabbed it as soon as the betas were released. Ran it in virtualbox for a while, and noticed it ran a lot better than vista did with less memory assigned to it.

I'm now using the windows 7 enterprise trial with the activation cracked. Don't get me wrong....I would buy windows 7 in a heartbeat, but my current laptop has problems, so rather than buy a copy of win7 for it, i'm saving up for a new laptop with it preinstalled.

Bennie

Reaction score
I'm thinking of it too, but some software might not run on it (which currently does run on my vista (32)). I read something about a virtual machine thing, is it really true and pre-installed and easy-to-use?

wongers

Reaction score
in your case, you could run a virtual machine, which looks like a windowed application that allows you to run operating systems. so you would be able to run Windws 7 from inside your Vista enviroment. its a great way to test things that you are unsure about.

i use it all the time for testing stuff that has been recommended but not fully tested. you know, programs that are supposed to be amazing but appear to be a bit dodgy and maybe shouldnt be trusted? .. .. .. .. wow that makes me sound really weird! hmmmmmm.

hmmmm anyways, if it helps, so far Win7 is everything Vista should have been, infact its way better, more compatable with just about everything and less demanding on system resources. you can also do a full installation from start to finish in like half an hour!

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I'm thinking of it too, but some software might not run on it (which currently does run on my vista (32)). I read something about a virtual machine thing, is it really true and pre-installed and easy-to-use?

What you're talking about is only the case if you have 16-bit applications and you have a 64-bit edition of Windows. In 64-bit, you can run 32-bit applications, but not 16-bit applications. In this case as well, you can simply set up a Virtual Machine with an install of a 32-bit Operating system and run your 16-bit application from inside of the virtual machine running inside of a 64-bit operating system. It's not a problem, and I do suggest using 64-bit versions of Operating Systems these days if your hardware supports 64-bit instructions.

Last edited:

frankpee

Reaction score
I have it on a spare machine, so I can get familiar with it. With some doing, it can be made to work like my Windows XP installs, which I have set to work like my Windows 95 installs. I don't like it when interfaces and features change for no good reason.

DeadBattery

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit right now but I also have Ubuntu installed.
I like it a lot better than XP. Since I never really used Vista, I can't make the 7 vs Vista comparison

Last edited:

wave42

Reaction score
I also have Windows 7, and I love it... Multi tasking is a breeze...

It's like, I'm running 1 3D game, Photoshop, Office, Dreamweaver but still, it's going smooth... unlike when I was still using XP xD

csc2ya

Reaction score

I believe you are talking about xp mode. If so, it is not preinstalled, but can be downloaded from http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx.

For the most part everything seems to work in xp mode, but there are some applications (seems to be games mostly) that don't run. However, these will usually run fine on windows 7 even if they weren't designed for it. A nice feature of it that I quite like is the ability to run applications in 'seamless mode' where you don't see the virtual machine window.

Last edited:

frankpee

Reaction score
Well, crap.

I had Windows 7 on a spare machine, so I could become familiar with it. It worked okay for a few months. Today, the PC died. It was seven years old, so I suppose it wasn't a surprise. Might just be the power source. Hassle.

crookincrew28

Reaction score
I believe you are talking about xp mode. If so, it is not preinstalled, but can be downloaded from http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx.

For the most part everything seems to work in xp mode, but there are some applications (seems to be games mostly) that don't run. However, these will usually run fine on windows 7 even if they weren't designed for it. A nice feature of it that I quite like is the ability to run applications in 'seamless mode' where you don't see the virtual machine window.

Hey mate,

Regarding the application Compatibility. Yes you are right, that any game seems to run in windows7, but at the same time remember. The Windows Games (Designed for windows7 :p) is different then older games because,
1. Game doesn't know where its going to run. Random Files will be generated, with random folders.
2. It wont know about the environment, so its like You take a Soccer ball into a Badminton Court.
Disabling to to read, write data at correct places as designed.

Windows7 Games come with OS detection. Installers and the game itself knows what to do. :)

natpit6

Reaction score
not yet. where would _someone_ get a key for this so i dont' have to use an activator crack or w/e?

ps i'm too lazy to google this :p

sambosulker

Reaction score
Got a beta for a virtual machine, just to check out the right click menus and folder structure, and built in viewers (for text, images, video, web etc.).

Didn't see a difference from custom searches (made instant), hiding text, and changing the icons to a irregular scale, so, no desire to upgrade. However, I will admit there are reports of incompatibility, which in itself means I must have 7 in some way just to debug.....But if I can im sticking to a virtual machine. When its preinstalled in a $250 desktop deal (that includes a monitor and accessories), then obviously I'll own a copy.