WordPress vs Joomla

piratemouse

Reaction score
After having some issues with a theme that I am really wishing to use and not finding a suitable replacement,
I began to wonder if I shouldn't just look for a different software to use. My thoughts are between WordPress ( currently using )
and Joomla. Both seem to be able to do what I am wanting and Joomla does offer a few added features that WP doesn't do.

So, x10 - what's your thoughts?

jensen

Reaction score
WordPress for simple sites. Joomla for the complex sites.
Just a few pages? Use WordPress - faster and easier to learn.

kim_foxx

Reaction score
I think wordpress is more for blogging though Joomla is for more advanced sites.
In simple words, wordpress is easier to use though Joomla is much better and offers more flexability.
Depends on what you are creating i guess...

roberto_pessanhas95

Reaction score
I guess the best wordpress joomla in two quilidade visual requirements and administration. And wordpress is very light.:)

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
One thing WordPress definitely is not is light. (And it hasn't been a "blogging platform" for several versions now. It's a full-fledged CMS these days. Don't confuse the engine with the themes.) If you have a site that sees any traffic at all, a good caching plugin (something that keeps rendered pages ready for use without having to hammer on the database) is not optional, it's a necessity. And if you're running in an environment that permits it, memcached is a good idea too so that the database hits you do have to make can be proxied in RAM.

All of the popular PHP CMS (Content Management System) software, including WordPress (as well as Drupal and Joomla) get their versatility by making the server do one hell of a pile of work putting a page together. The only thing good that can be said about them is that they're turnkey solutions -- install 'em, pick a theme (or pay to have someone develop one for you), plug in some plugins and you're good to go. A custom solution would take a lot more effort (and cost), but a well-written custom solution can do exactly the same thing using one-tenth (or less) of the resources, so what you pay up front for development, you save quickly in hosting costs (which, for a large and heavily-trafficked site, can run into the thousands of dollars per month).

Now, that may be at the business level, but a hobbyist with more time than money available can realise similar savings. You can easily run a site on free hosting (if reliability isn't an issue) that you would normally have to pay for; you can run a site with an uptime SLA (Service Level Agreement) on low-cost shared hosting that would require a reserved-resource plan (like Infinity+ here at x10) if you use a generic CMS (like Wordpress, Drupal or Joomla).

If you have the time and the inclination, building to suit is always going to win in the long run.

Palmer640

Reaction score
One thing WordPress definitely is not is light. (And it hasn't been a "blogging platform" for several versions now. It's a full-fledged CMS these days. Don't confuse the engine with the themes.)

This I will agree with. ;)

Personally, I'd prefer WordPress. Joomla is a mess, in my opinion. The admin dash and such. WordPress seems more user friendly for both the user and the admin.

anth.r44

Prime Account
Reaction score
In my opinion I prefer Wordpress as I find it easier to modify.

inetweaver

Reaction score
Both are good in different way ,but If you consider SEO then wordpress is better than Joomla, but joomla has more powerful features than wordpress.