PHP version upgrade + all backups&installations lost?!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

uwcstats

Reaction score
SO since this new PHP upgrade it has been an uphill battle trying to get my site to work again...

now that I finally got my site to work again, the biggest issue is that all my backups on Softaculous have disappeared! I can't even see my website installation on Softaculous anymore? What is up with that? What is the point of a backup if your backups just vanish :mad:

PLEASE HELP!

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Your backups are still present in the root of your account (above public_html) under the folder "softaculous_backups" - they're no longer appearing in Softaculous though due to it being a Joomla 1.5 install. This version has been discontinued for over a year, and is no longer receiving patches. In addition, it has numerous security loopholes and exploits, including but not limited to exploits that allow hackers to upload and run ANY php file they choose. With it being discontinued, no further updates/patches are being made, which means the security exploits that already exist will go unpatched - a hacker's dream.

You're still able to manage it directly via FTP and cPanel, however I would strongly recommend updating to the 2.5 branch at a bare minimum - I've seen the results of what can happen with an insecure Joomla install, and it's not pretty.

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
What is the point of a backup if your backups just vanish

As alluded to above, it is considered prudent to store backups separate from the originals.

Download them to your computer.

When you backup files that are on your computer, you should store them somewhere else, say a flash drive or a cloud account or another computer.

uwcstats

Reaction score
As alluded to above, it is considered prudent to store backups separate from the originals.

Download them to your computer.

When you backup files that are on your computer, you should store them somewhere else, say a flash drive or a cloud account or another computer.

Hi, thank you, I have downloaded previous backups to another drive, that is what any sensible person would do :wink: , however, the most important thing for me is to be able to backup the website using Softiculous after updates to the website have been made, which I cannot do now because my installation does not appear in Softiculous..... How else can I backup my site if not via softaculous?

uwcstats

Reaction score
Your backups are still present in the root of your account (above public_html) under the folder "softaculous_backups" - they're no longer appearing in Softaculous though due to it being a Joomla 1.5 install. This version has been discontinued for over a year, and is no longer receiving patches. In addition, it has numerous security loopholes and exploits, including but not limited to exploits that allow hackers to upload and run ANY php file they choose. With it being discontinued, no further updates/patches are being made, which means the security exploits that already exist will go unpatched - a hacker's dream.

You're still able to manage it directly via FTP and cPanel, however I would strongly recommend updating to the 2.5 branch at a bare minimum - I've seen the results of what can happen with an insecure Joomla install, and it's not pretty.

Thank you for your response...

I know backups are in the root of my account, all those backups I have also stored in a separate location...problem is, how do I backup the website from this point onwards if my installation has been removed from softaculous? I really don't wana have to install 3rd party joomla plugins to backup the site because they are unstable and it was so easy using softaculous.

As for security, I am aware about hackers and loopholes and joomla 1.5 not being the latest version blah blah blah...I really don't care, any hacker who is going to waste their time hacking my site is a stupid idiot lol...and if they are good enough to hack joomla 1.5 they probably will be good enough to hack any version of joomla - perhaps with less ease. And if they do happen to hack my site...well so be it, all I care about are the backups of the website which I now cannot do via softaculous...can backups be done directly from Cpanel?

Last edited:

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
...I really don't care, any hacker who is going to waste their time hacking my site is a stupid idiot lol..

If they hack your site to send out spam emails, it gets everybody on x10hosting in trouble (mail server blacklisted, etc) and can clog the email servers.

If they add malware to one of your pages, x10 servers and domains can end up on blacklists.

When members demonstrate that they don't care if they get hacked and so cause trouble for everybody else on their server/x10hosting, the Admins usually terminate their account.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
As for security, I am aware about hackers and loopholes and joomla 1.5 not being the latest version etc etc...I really don't care, any hacker who is going to waste their time hacking my site is a stupid idiot lol...

What Livewire is getting at is that your insecure Joomla install is endangering everybody. All it takes is for your site to do something that gets the server's IP address added to a browser malware blocklist or a spamhaus list, and you've effectively taken everybody down with your cavalier attitude.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.