Regarding who.is

Status
Not open for further replies.

terrorb2

Reaction score
Just noticed that a lot of my personal information is on who.is

Is there anything that can be done to make this information private?

caftpx10

Reaction score
If you have your own domain then there's a few things you can do:
If you have a .uk domain, you're able to hide such information for free by visiting the registry's site
If your domain isn't that, then you'll need to pay for domain privacy. Note that this does NOT protect you from the whois history and you'll need to pay to get that history holding your information removed once you do get domain privacy.

caftpx10

Reaction score
So, really what you can do is hide the information for the current whois. As I said and pointed out above my post, it will still be out there.

chatngox

Reaction score
All you can do now is hiding the info by paying, but it will be still there. I doubt that anybody would spend the time looking at whois (people might) for like a whole day.
The second thing you can do is change your email address to a secondary address.

bdistler

Prime Account
Reaction score
I doubt that anybody would spend the time looking at whois (people might) for like a whole day
there are those that pull the complete DNS databases - by computer - looking for Email address' and mail (street) address' and phone numbers and any other information they can sell (as list)

jensen

Reaction score
How to keep it private? Don't give the information at all (quite impossible these days)
Don't join social networks - eg. don't join fb, twitter, you get the drift.
Trouble is, if your friend takes a photo of you at a birthday party and post it on his/her facebook and tags you, you can be found.
When a friend posts on her/his twiter "Happy Birthday terrorb2" your date of birth is exposed. So how?
As long as you key in the data online or someone keys in the data about you online, it can be found.
Even emails are not safe. Identity theft is easier with so much information online. So be very careful of what information you give out.

Those "FREE" contest which require your emails and phone numbers - you need to check out the organizer or they too may be a scam to get your personal information. There are even website that say "check the strength of your passwords here" could also be just a scam to collect more passwords for their dictionary attacks.

caftpx10

Reaction score
How to keep it private? Don't give the information at all (quite impossible these days)
Don't join social networks - eg. don't join fb, twitter, you get the drift.
Trouble is, if your friend takes a photo of you at a birthday party and post it on his/her facebook and tags you, you can be found.
When a friend posts on her/his twiter "Happy Birthday terrorb2" your date of birth is exposed. So how?
As long as you key in the data online or someone keys in the data about you online, it can be found.
Even emails are not safe. Identity theft is easier with so much information online. So be very careful of what information you give out.

Those "FREE" contest which require your emails and phone numbers - you need to check out the organizer or they too may be a scam to get your personal information. There are even website that say "check the strength of your passwords here" could also be just a scam to collect more passwords for their dictionary attacks.
I'm surprised that you haven't mentioned more examples that Facebook has.

jensen

Reaction score
You're most welcome to fill-in the missing examples ;)
(realised that the question was specific to who.is and I'm not too familiar with it but generally "don't leave anything online" is an advice quite hard to follow)

Status
Not open for further replies.