Resolved "1000 emails have just been sent by..."

asianidols

Reaction score
I have gotten a strange warning message saying:
The *deleted* account has just finished sending 1000 emails.
There could be a spammer, the account could be compromised, or just sending more emails than usual.

After some processing of the /etc/virtual/usage/*deleted*.bytes file, it was found that the highest sender was *deleted*@asianidols.x10.mx, at 1187 emails.

The top authenticated user was *deleted*, at 2187 emails.
This accounts for 218% of the emails. The higher the value, the more likely this is the source of the emails.
An authenticated username is the user and password value used at smtp time to authenticate with exim for delivery.

I have not sent any email message. If my account has been hacked, I'd wish to know and how to prevent it. Note that whenever my username appeared, I replaced it with "*deleted*". Thank you for your support.

asianidols

Reaction score
Trying to look into this further, it seems it was not a spammer since the message been sent seems to be "MyBB error on Asian Idols Development" and it involves my x10 email address and my gmail one in all of them. I still don't know how to use the smtp server, so I can't explain what happened here. It seems it's related to one of my problems with MyBB; but I have not been able to isolate it. Anyway, how it got into the smtp server is mystifying me.

Eric S

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have gotten a strange warning message saying:

I have not sent any email message. If my account has been hacked, I'd wish to know and how to prevent it. Note that whenever my username appeared, I replaced it with "*deleted*". Thank you for your support.
Where did you see this warning message?

Eric S

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
On the dashboard's sidebar, under "New Messages".
I am unsure which dashboard sidebar you are referring to. You may submit a screenshot of the error and edit as needed. If this is coming from your software install this is an issue within the software

asianidols

Reaction score
I am unsure which dashboard sidebar you are referring to. You may submit a screenshot of the error and edit as needed. If this is coming from your software install this is an issue within the software
I've just found the source. It was MyBB. It was trying to send me an email; but apparently it was failing. I have now to figure out how to prevent that to happen again.

asianidols

Reaction score
I think I have corrected the problem. I set MyBB to log errors only. It was set to both log and email them; but emailing was failing, so it was retrying repeatedly. Sorry for that. It will hopefully not happen again.