2 week Login or Suspend

googamao

Reaction score
This model of suspension unless login may or may not do x10hosting good in longrun. Even on logins, how about the quality of postings to maintain necessary traffic to yeild ad dollars or asking just about any questions via forums?

IS there a better way to perhaps charge a small fee (in steps) according to priviledges assign.

Don't get me wrong. I am impressed with X10 so far and it's definitely a geed free host to test out web sites. Thanks.

Brandon

Former Senior Account Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
Hello,

The only way to get around the 2 week timer is to buy paid hosting.

lukcar

Reaction score
I also find this feature very annoying.

Would you be able to extend it to a month or something? Its a little embarassing when you get people emailing you things like 'your sites dead' and 'what have you done now?'.

Starshine

Legend Killer
Reaction score
I also find this feature very annoying.

Would you be able to extend it to a month or something? Its a little embarassing when you get people emailing you things like 'your sites dead' and 'what have you done now?'.

No. Its 2 weeks. All you have to do is login to the forums once during that two week period. Thats it. Its really not all that hard to do.

There have been suggestions that if you have trouble remembering to, why not set up an icon or script on your computer to remind you, or to automatically open the forum page and log you in.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
This is non negotiable. It's the best way overall for us to determine what people really want their accounts and do not. Each day we add around 400 accounts to x10's servers. About 200 of them do not get used. So extending the time from 2 weeks to a month (14 days) would mean we have to house 2,800 more accounts. That takes up a lot of resources that we do not have.

-Corey

Pantalassa

Reaction score
I don't think it's a good idea to suspend every site after 2 weeks without making a logging. I know we are entitled to remove the suspensions ourselves, but this is annoying. If someone is just making loggins each weeks, and not using their site (they just put an index.htm file and leave it there), and other people have all the trouble to make their website shinning, with a lots of visits and hard work, it's unfair they have to be concerned about not getting suspensions, and lost visits. So, every day we have the same complaints about people getting suspended for trivial reasons. If the time was increased to at least 1 month and all acounts were removed if they don't have, let's say, 50 hits/month or 3/4 files, that will be a fair decision.

QuwenQ

Reaction score
If the time was increased to at least 1 month and all acounts were removed if they don't have, let's say, 50 hits/month or 3/4 files, that will be a fair decision.
That is not a good idea, because some un-popular sites can be hosted on x10. You're going to discriminate against people who have a hard time getting traffic? I fall safely outside of that zone (1000 visitors/month) but it's not fair for those with unpopular sites.

Last edited:

thaliagoo

Reaction score
I can understand the not wanting tons of inactive pages logic, but what about a website that is being continually updated? The user may not have logged into the forums, but he may have logged in through his FTP account or through the CP. Logging in once every two weeks isn't a big deal, I agree, but I'm just afraid I may forget every once in awhile.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
If you forget you can unsuspend yourself. Like I said, this is non-negotiable. We're talking about 2,800 accounts, it doesn't matter if each account has just one page, that is 2,800 more DNS entries, 2,800 more VirtualHost entries in Apache. Each account slows the server down just a little bit when performing tasks like updating PHP, restarting Apache, syncing DNS. Adding thousands slows it down a lot.

If you're that afraid set http://forums.x10hosting.com as your home page and check off the "Keep me logged in" box.

-Corey

Chris73

Reaction score
The fact is it's a requirement of this free hosting service. A small one at that for what is offered. If you sign up and have read the agreement then you know what you must do. It's not very complicated to keep an account active. Like Corey mentioned in a post of his " Make the forums your home page and keep the remember me box checked". Doing just that will keep you active. Every time you go to get on the world wide web you refreshed your account.

It's a rule that's in place to keep un-used accounts cleaned up. Other wise you guys would end up with crappy service, servers being down a lot more slow loading websites just to name a few.

If we let accounts go for a month then i will promise you one thing. The service will go down hill because unused accounts slow servers down.

Then watch the complaints. Just keep active. Not hard to do.

aquila

Reaction score
logging in every two weeks is a very small price to pay for such great hosting services. you don't even have to post , just log in. if you can't remember to do it every two weeks do it every week, set a day for it and soon enough it'll become a habit like putting out the trash every thursday etc. :)

Pantalassa

Reaction score
If someone is just making loggins each weeks, and not using their site (they just put an index.htm file and leave it there), and other people have all the trouble to make their website shinning, with a lots of visits and hard work, it's unfair they have to be concerned about not getting suspensions, and lost visits. So, every day we have the same complaints about people getting suspended for trivial reasons. If the time was increased to at least 1 month and all acounts were removed if they don't have, let's say, 50 hits/month or 3/4 files, that will be a fair decision.
That is not a good idea, because some un-popular sites can be hosted on x10. You're going to discriminate against people who have a hard time getting traffic? I fall safely outside of that zone (1000 visitors/month) but it's not fair for those with unpopular sites.
Note: I am using quote tags below for my response.
I see your point, but let's think about this.
My account was created yesterday. I am a total newbie who is currently developing a website. I don't start creating mine yet, and therefore, I can't fulfill the required 50 hits/month (50 visitors/month, or even more) proposed.
I am not sure what Corey has to say about this, but what is worst for him: people who are only spending his bandwith/space and not having any website (however, are making logins every 2 weeks) or people who indeed have a website which is reaching any required 50 hits/visits/month and it's very well done.
However, the second guy sometimes don't remember to make new logins, and his site is turned off. This is not fair, from my point of view.
I know there must be a rule against people using x10Hosting for filesharing only (people who doesn't have a real site and are not using at all, just hosting their personal files). But nothing compares to my previous example.
The complain I have against people from the first example is that they are not really using this service (or spending resources of the service) and are reserving usernames just to avoid others to use it.
I know it's not that easy for someone to remember a sub-domain, like www.corey.x10hosting.com the same way we do with www.corey.com.
But if the guy buys the domain (corey.com) just to avoid others to use it, and puts a blank page instead of something, and often make logins to keep his account alive, he should not have the same rights the people who are using that same domain for anything more useful.

Last edited:

mindseye.2

Reaction score
I'm still new to this free hosting, I'm trying out a website I'm currently building, but I guess if you stay inactive for a while they suspend your account am I right ? or do I only have to post once in while to stay active ? can you guys help me out here.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
The requirement to keep your account active is to visit these forums once every two weeks, no posting required. Just visit.

-Corey

hussam

Reaction score
Well i think visiting the forum is a good thing, at least you will check the news server alerts...etc

After all you are getting a great service only by logging into a forum, and not like other hosts which have a minimum quality posts every month to keep the service or to maintain a better bandwidth, ...etc

I think Corey and the others are doing alot of work, and spending alot of time to maintain this service, so the least you can do is just LOG IN to a forum, come on guys, dont be that lazy

jensen

Reaction score
Have been with x10hosting for about 2 years or more (I forget) and have been through the down times and uptimes and changes in the requirements. I even lost my account in the process. But I must say this...

Corey and team has endured and presevered and have tested and tried quite a few rules and regulations. They have matured and stood up to the tests and challenges and challengers. x10's requirements are more than just fair. They provide good hosting for FREE.

Also please remember the terms and conditions you agreed to when you sign up. Try to change the terms and conditions after sign up is just lame. You agreed to it.

So signing in is just for those who want to maintain the account. Afterall, if you do not update your website at least every 2 weeks, the stuff would grow stale after a while. So there is no contention about the requirements. I support Corey and his team!

Those that get suspended and then removed, well, that's just for the betterment of the forums and the hostings :)

nincom89

Reaction score
How long do you stay suspended before having your content deleted?

Just curious, but I'm about to set the forums as my homepage.

masshuu

Head of the Geese
Community Support
Enemy of the State
Reaction score
ok, if your so paranoid, do this:
download firefox or opera, IE has issued with "keep me loged in"
login and save password and such.
download http://sourceforge.net/projects/wincron/
add this to the crontab file
Code:
0       0       *       *       0       root    "E:/Program Files/Opera/Opera.exe" "http://forums.x10hosting.com"
that sould open the web page every week on sunday at midnight.

Last edited: