2 weeks forum visit and suspensions

GarfsField

Reaction score
Dear x10Hosting

I have noticed while going through the different posts here that some people who have had their accounts suspended/terminated had the misfortune of being away on a course, vacation and possibly even hospital.

Now I do realise that you have the 14 day forum log off and visit for a purpose and that it is in the ToS as well.

However, I have a suggestion that could help to resolve this issue.

An additional 3 fields could be added to the site maintenance database, 1 a bit type (flag), 1 a date field and 1 a smallint field. These could be updated from the Accounts Control Page. A small change would have to made to the ToS to accomodate this. A max period of 6 weeks should be allowed for not accessing the forums in order to cater for those issues as given above.

The flag field would be set which would represent the user saying they are going to be afk, the date field would record the date of this happening and the smallint field would represent the total number of days the flag has been set for the year. The year should be calculated from the accounts birthday and could be reset to 0 every new birthday. Once the smallint field reaches a count of 44 (7 x 6 + 2), then the flag should be auto removed and the account suspended. The extra +2 is to allow grant 2 days for people that have a bad memory and will also ensure that they have no excuse for updating the account to unset the flag them selves.

This would be very easy to code and I believe would benefit all your users.

Many thanks

Chris73

Reaction score
The problem with that would be people would just abuse it and we would end up shutting it off. We think the current policy is plenty of time for people to keep active. You have two weeks to log into the forums. If you do not log into the forums you get suspended. After that you have an additional 10 days to request or lift the suspension yourself. That is a total of 24 days. People would just abuse the above mentioned idea in your post. That would just lead to longer inactive accounts leading to slower servers and more complaints.

Now i want to just remind everyone. If you become suspended for inactivity, you can lift your own suspension. How you do this is, go to your website, this will show you a suspension page. You click the button on that page enter your cpanel username and if you are suspended for inactivity you can click another button and lift the suspension yourself.

The reason i mention this is, this morning i did over 90-100 requests for unsuspensions and 99% of them were for inactivity. You can lift those suspensions yourself without staff assistance. All other suspensions will have to be reviewed by a staff member and the proper action will be taken in regards to the offense.

So I hope that this will help people with inactivity suspensions activate there websites faster. Sometimes staff can't be right there to lift the suspension.

GarfsField

Reaction score
Hi Chris, i do understand that people would "try" to abuse it, However that is why there is the daily counter which will only allow a max of 42 + 2 days. If someone abuses it and needs to go on a course or on holiday or to hospital or something like that then they will have used all the remaining credit since the days count only gets reset on the accounts anniversary. So effectivly if they want to shoot themselves in the foot that is fine, they will still only have the max of 44 days. Once they exceed 44 days they will not be able to set the vacation flag.

Also keep in mind that there are holiday destinations where people do not have access to any form of internet connectivity, and having their account suspended due to them being unable to log in every 14 days means that their website goes offline, which could have a serious impact for them.

All the extra admin that you mention can easily be done via scripting or even triggers in the database, even to the point of auto suspending after 44 days, which will make your job easier anyway, since you do not have to check accounts which have the flag set.

Slothie

Reaction score
Cybercafes are a good way to keep logged in. You could even just schedule a task on your computer to visit the x10 forums every week or so. (Or even cron it, but that's another story).

If its a mission critical site, I doubt it'd be on free hosting anyway =P

dofollowhive

Reaction score
Can anyone give me a suggestion for when an account has been terminated? I think I hadn't logged on in two weeks but when I went to the page, it says to put in the name to get a reason. When I did that, it says the account never existed or had been terminated. I must have overlooked this stipulation in the tos, but I know it hasn't been more than two weeks (maybe hasn't even been two weeks). So how do I contact someone to find out what really happenned?

speedy1205

Reaction score
I am also trying this in the moment but it is not so easy. One accountmanager was trying to find out some but he couldnt. He was telling that he will tell an admin ... this means .... please wait :)

jivzone

Reaction score
how about being given 6 weeks off per year or something like that

Chris73

Reaction score
Can anyone give me a suggestion for when an account has been terminated? I think I hadn't logged on in two weeks but when I went to the page, it says to put in the name to get a reason. When I did that, it says the account never existed or had been terminated. I must have overlooked this stipulation in the tos, but I know it hasn't been more than two weeks (maybe hasn't even been two weeks). So how do I contact someone to find out what really happenned?

Your suspension has been lifted. Make sure to log into the forums once every two weeks to keep from further inactivity suspensions.

steelcatcpu

Reaction score
... As mentioned you could just schedule an event to go to the forum page every week at an hour you don't normally use your computer. :)

tgkprog

Reaction score
hi do we need to just lg in or make a post? i think i asked this before but could not find ... something for the faq

oahuintegraclub

Reaction score
i haven't logged in for maybe two weeks, i got the page that said suspended, then it changed to "domain available"??? so no button for me to click....I'm not sure what to do now. please help!

The other thread i was asking for help got locked...also when i try to access cpanel it says to link to ad enhanced or something like that and when i enter my username it says non existant...

wow...i'm screwed. thanks in advance i need to get my site back up asap!

Last edited: