403 error - need help please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

brocky1972

Reaction score
Hi,

I've sent this question to official support, but haven't received a reply so was hoping someone here might have any ideas. It's driving me nuts.

I recently installed MT 4.23-en on an Apache server at x10Hosting.
Everything seemed to be going perfectly. I posted a few test entries without a hitch. However, whenever I try to post entries lengthier entries (around 1400 words) I get this "403 Forbidden" error:

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /cgi-bin/mt/mt.cgi on this server.

I've tried cutting posts down to try to narrow down what might be triggering the error, but truncated entries I'd successfully posted minutes before would bring up the error when I tried again. So the problem seems to be random, but as I say I have no problem posting short entries.

Also I've checked my error logs and they only tell me there's no 403 custom page for this type of error: [Fri Feb 27 02:56:56 2009] [error] [client 90.200.146.25] File does not exist: /home/brocky/public_html/403.shtml.

Has anyone got any ideas? I'm pulling my hair out so any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,
Colin.

misson

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
What are the file permissions on cgi-bin/mt/mt.cgi & the parent folders? If you don't know how to check, you can use cPanel's file manager; your FTP client might also be able to tell you the file permissions.

You should see a file mode of "755" for each, but other permissions might work. Post the permissions here.

brocky1972

Reaction score
What are the file permissions on cgi-bin/mt/mt.cgi & the parent folders? If you don't know how to check, you can use cPanel's file manager; your FTP client might also be able to tell you the file permissions.

You should see a file mode of "755" for each, but other permissions might work. Post the permissions here.

Hi, thanks for your reply and sorry I haven't got back to you sooner - server was down for much of yesterday.

I've checked the file permissions - they were all are set to 777, but I've tried changing them to 755 and it makes no difference.

Colin

scottnj

Reaction score
I don't really know much about Moveable Type, but it could be your PHP permissions. Try getting those changed to intermediate if it isn't already. Having restrictions that are too high can give you errors.

Hopefully that will help.

Status
Not open for further replies.