Resolved 403 Forbidden for addon domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

zapxpayx

Reaction score
Hi,

I have just added a new domain in my website.
Now the setup is something like below:

my website is in
./domains/zapxpay.x10host.com/public_html

I have another domain zapxpay.com.
Now in this domain path
./domains/zapxpay.com I have symlink with name public_html pointing to ./domains/zapxpay.x10host.com/public_html - this is working

Now, I have added a new domain zapxbook.com and create same a symlink pointing to ./domains/zapxpay.x10host.com/public_html. - this is not working

I can access my site from domain zapxpay.x10host.com and zapxpay.com
However, I can't access mysite from new addon domain zapxbook.com.

I am scratching my head wondering what could be wrong here.

Can you please help?

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
When you added the domain, did you add a new domain or a domain pointer? DirectAdmin does not call them "addon domains" like cPanel does. A domain pointer looks like what you want to use, because it serves the content of a given folder the same as it does for the domain that "owns" the folder. Generally, HTTP servers don't like symlinks because they can be security holes.

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm sorry to say that neither zapxpay.com or zapxbook.com works.

The first is missing its public_html folder completely, the other has it renamed to become invalid.

I doubt that you are able to actually create a proper symbolic link as that would as far as I know require access to SSH, please do educate me if I'm wrong.

In any case, the path you have for them would be incorrect actually, as the folder you want a symbolic link to would attempt to find the folder /domains/ inside the domain folder and not at the root of the account.

As garret says though, using a domain pointer would be easier, though you can only have one of those.

zapxpayx

Reaction score
When you added the domain, did you add a new domain or a domain pointer? DirectAdmin does not call them "addon domains" like cPanel does. A domain pointer looks like what you want to use, because it serves the content of a given folder the same as it does for the domain that "owns" the folder. Generally, HTTP servers don't like symlinks because they can be security holes.

This solution worked.. thanks. :)

I'm sorry to say that neither zapxpay.com or zapxbook.com works.

The first is missing its public_html folder completely, the other has it renamed to become invalid.

I doubt that you are able to actually create a proper symbolic link as that would as far as I know require access to SSH, please do educate me if I'm wrong.

In any case, the path you have for them would be incorrect actually, as the folder you want a symbolic link to would attempt to find the folder /domains/ inside the domain folder and not at the root of the account.

As garret says though, using a domain pointer would be easier, though you can only have one of those.

Well, to be honest.. my zapxpay.com is working with symlink (I never created that though).. I was there in earlier days with cPanel.. I dunno how.. but fact is it is working.. I can see some entries in DNS.. this may be because of that.

For the symlink, I created that using a php symlink function.. so I presume that's correct symlink.
I used absolute path for the symlink - i.e. /home/<myuser>/domains/<host>/public_html

Anyways, this is working with pointer (alias).. I am sorted.. thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.