403 Forbidden

1skallagrimur89

Reaction score
Hello, I just got an account today. Looking forward to working on my web programming. I uploaded an simple "Hello World!" CGI script to get me started and I can't seem get right. I always get this error:

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /hello.cgi on this server.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

The permission to public_html is 750 and to hello.cgi is 755. So that should'nt be a problem (I also tried cgi-bin, the same happened).

Here is the simple code:

#!/usr/bin/perl
print "Content-Type: text/plain", "\n\n";
print "Hello World in Perl", "\n";

I also tried changing #!/usr/bin/perl to #!/usr/local/bin/perl

Please help me, thank you.

Last edited:

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
Due to abuse by some members, cgi-bin (web based Perl/Python) has been disabled and there has been no announcement as to if/when they will be enabled again.

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
"Due to abuse by some members, cgi-bin (web based Perl/Python) has been disabled and there has been no announcement as to if/when they will be enabled again."
Nothing has changed since Descalzo made that post.

1skallagrimur89

Reaction score
I just switch from perl to php. It's basically the same and php is more used so there are more sites on the web related to it.

vv.bbcc19

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
But careful choosing scripts which may take resources and may ban your hosting account for high resource usage.
You can test PHP scripts on localserver and check them before running on the hosting.
This helps and get you some nice idea on the script.
Regards,
VVBB