500 Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

salamander1fish56

Reaction score
I dont know what i did, I uninstalled Joomla from Fantastico and its been bad ever since. Anything PHP doesnt work

Can you please fix this? Thanks, Aj

Skizzerz

Contributors
Staff member
Contributors
Reaction score
Hello, there are a few causes for 500 Internal Server Errors, I'll detail the 2 most common below:

1. Make sure that Directories/Folders have their permissions set to 755 and PHP files have their permissions set to 644. Having 777 or 666 permissions causes 500 Internal Server Errors for security reasons (as the 6 or 7 in the last digit indicates "writable by everyone"). You can check permissions in either the cPanel File Manager or via FTP. Since I see you're installing MediaWiki, make sure that the images directory is 755. I know that the installation guide says 777, but this is not necessary on x10Hosting due to how PHP is set up.

2. Delete or post the contents of any .htaccess files you have. You may need to select the "Show hidden files and folders" option in cPanel File Manger or in FTP before being able to see these files. An improperly-formatted .htaccess file is a common cause for 500 Internal Server Errors.

Last edited:

salamander1fish56

Reaction score
Theres nothing in my .htaccess file and when i delete it it comes back

---------- Post added at 04:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:15 AM ----------

No PHP files work what the hell is the problem please fix it

Skizzerz

Contributors
Staff member
Contributors
Reaction score
After having someone with more access than myself look into it, the issue is that your public_html directory has 777 permissions. Please change these back to 755, as I detailed in the above post.

Status
Not open for further replies.