500 internal server error

Status
Not open for further replies.

djcrash

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Can anyone here help me with this problem. I try to install smf forum and i received this message.

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@arcade.exofire.net and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request

*What i did was uploaded these files and change the permission to 777
* attachments
* Packages
* Packages/installed.list
* Packages/server.list
* Smileys
* Themes
* Themes/default/languages/Install.english.php
* agreement.txt
* Settings.php
* Settings_bak.php
* install.php

Thanks

Last edited:

kryptonyte

Reaction score
Maybe some service just crashed? Try again and see if it works. What part of the install did it crash at? I've never tried SMF forum so I can't help you with any specifics but I can try to point you in the right direction.

djcrash

Reaction score
Hi kryptonyte,

I have change the file permission back to 755 and it works, however, smf forum require the files to be chmod to 777. I wonder if i will have problem setting up the forum if i install it using file permission 755 instead of 777. Can anyone help me wth this problem.

I will appreaciate if you could help. Thanks

Last edited:

omnirom

Reaction score
X10hosting comes with Fantastico.

Fantastico supports smf forums; just let it do everything for you..

oab

Reaction score
omnirom said:
X10hosting comes with Fantastico.

Fantastico supports smf forums; just let it do everything for you..

what he said, and also i think you only want certain files and directories to be 777, im not really farmiliar with smf you might want to just double check the readme or install file really quick, its probably somthing simple.

Torch

Reaction score
Yes, you can CHMOD 777 files that ARE NOT meant for public, like e.g. config files.

But those that are meant for direct access and not stated otherwise should be 755.

Status
Not open for further replies.