6.Dot

player6

Reaction score
Hey guys, just toying around the idea of designing my own blog but always procrastinating. Anyways, got a break from Ike and this is what I'm going to go with. Any suggestions or Ideas are appreciated

http://6dot.x10hosting.com/

Also, does anyone know how exactly wordpress works? The fact that I don't exactly understand its inner workings is one of the reasons I've been putting this off, anyways, any help would be appreciated.

tittat

Reaction score
The theme is fine, but the site navigation is not so appealing.There is wide possibility for you to improve.
Good luck...

epoclaen

Reaction score
I'm not sure I like that the Comments counter is on the one side of the article and the link to More>>Comment is on the other.

I'd also like to see just one more color in the scheme that's a bit "punchier", meaning more contrast to the light grays and yellows and white background.

And yeah, the navigation at the top is dominating the page too much. When visitors open the page they see the navigation menu and little else, nothing urging them to maybe scroll down other than the poorly blatant "Scroll Down" notice which you don't want to poignantly have to tell them to do.

It's a decent start to the theme though and the just a little tweaking and maybe more graphical elemnts will help fill out the content.

JuniorD

Reaction score
its a nice simple theme. though instead of saying scroll down, perhaps you should separate everything via php, and then when you click a link, it brings the window down to that article.

player6

Reaction score
Hey guys, thnx for the suggestions

@epoclaen, I actually meant the theme to have this color scheme, mainly because I grew tired from my old theme (which you would probably have liked since I made its color extremely well balanced out) Anyways, my first intentions were to use the navigation box as an archive manager (it's semantic ID is #news) and there's a good chance that I'll bring it back to that. Also note that some of the highlights break after you turn off JS, this is meant to be seeing as JQuery doesn't self initialize by clearing the normal highlights off. But the majority of the style and interface is coded in css, if you take a look at the HTML it's very hierarchial. Of course this is my first time working with JavaScript as an user interface and I've gotta say I'm having quite a lot of fun with it.

The scroll down part is actually part of the background since initially I didn't mean for this to become a blog type design, and only later did I add it in, just for fun though, not to actually tell them to scroll down.

Of course I do feel a bit dirty since I'm using JS and IE conditional tags to modify the design, but it's still a lot of fun doing it

PS: The goal of this website is about python programming, some philosophical rants, and some gfx I created, so you can see why I didn't make this site vibrant (I want to create a homely feeling when the reader reads the things I say)

kirtik

Reaction score
That theme is niiiiiice. A little bit bright and eyeburny, but the fading boxes on either side are a nice touch. :)

player6

Reaction score
Thanks, I had a lot of fun making it, of course it made my code less semantic and I feel a bit guilty about that, but the effect does look nice :p

sunils

Reaction score
I liked the way you have created the menus. i meant the home etc..
the other menu was also fine. But the stripes that you used near the menu is not appelaing line, it seems to be more thick. You can reduce its thickness and make them more elagent. good job

player6

Reaction score
Thanks sunils, I'll work on that, though I've actually tried using a smaller padding but it just didn't feel quite right, would it be okay if I just increase the margin in between the links?

Anyways I'm currently resizing the top level elements back down to 800x600 again, seeing as it is currently too large and I still don't want to use an img tag to spoil the markup.