64 bit or 32 bit

hax0red.mem0ries

Reaction score
hey, i have a computer, it has a 64 bit processor (sempron 3500+) but i'm using a 32 bit os, xp to be exact, i only have 1gb of ram, i was wondering if putting a 64 bit os on my computer would really make a noticeable difference... i've also heard alot of bad things about 64 bit xp, so... yeah

Jesse

Reaction score
Yeah you should upgrade your OS to Windows XP 64-bit. It will increase the performance of your system.

HomerJ

Reaction score
It won't increase your performance much at all. All it will do is allow software to take advantage of the full 64bit registers in the CPU (there are only 14 of them) instead of allowing it to only use the first 32bits. I think it also adds 8 more registers.

However, this will only benefit performance a tiny bit, and only with software that is specifically compiled for 64bit processors. Most Windows software is only available in 32bit, so you won't notice any gains from those. Most likely, unless you compile the software yourself, you won't get any gains at all. However, if you are using a source-based OS, like Gentoo Linux or FreeBSD, then you would get the small performance gains, since you would be compiling the software for that processor.

Also, 64bit Windows is said to be very unstable. I don't know for sure if that's true, but you should probably take that into consideration.

So, to summarize:

-any performance gains will be small

-any performance gains will only affect 64bit software, of which there is very little

-stability may be an issue

Overall, I would not recommend it on Windows. However, for any other OS I would recommend using 64bit software.

hax0red.mem0ries

Reaction score
ok, thanks, that pretty much sums it up... i had a feeling that was the case, i just wanted to make sure though, also... having a 64 bit processor is really useless i think because i have 4 ram slots and each one can only take 1gb if i'm not mistaken, and 32 bit can handle 4gb of ram, so i don't know why compaq even bothered putting a 64bit processor in this computer...

RomeRome2

Reaction score
Sometimes x32 can't even take of to 4gb I've had countless phone calls asking me why 2gb of RAM is missing.
Some show only 2-3gb of RAM when they have 4 so if your planning on using all that RAM it would be wise to upgrade to x64 but not many people do so just stick to x32

HomerJ

Reaction score
ok, thanks, that pretty much sums it up... i had a feeling that was the case, i just wanted to make sure though, also... having a 64 bit processor is really useless i think because i have 4 ram slots and each one can only take 1gb if i'm not mistaken, and 32 bit can handle 4gb of ram, so i don't know why compaq even bothered putting a 64bit processor in this computer...

All processors are 64bit these days, so they would have to put in an old processor if they went with a non-64bit compatible one.

Also, x86 (32bit) can handle 4GB of address space, but not 4GB RAM. On my computer 896MB of RAM is missing due to the video card and other resources being mapped into that 4GB address space, so I can only use 3200MB of RAM. This is despite having a 64bit OS, because my cheap motherboard can't remap that 896MB over the 4GB limit.

FalseHope

Reaction score
In the future, the battle between 64 bit vs 32 bit processors will inevitably yield the 64 bit processor as the victor, but this transition is going to take some time.

First, I’ll talk about the pure mathematics and structure of the processors that are involved here. I’ll keep this part short and sweet.

A bit is short for “binary digit.” It is basically how a computer stores and makes references to data, memory, etc. A bit can have a value of 1 or 0, that’s it. So binary code is streams of 1’s and 0’s, such as this random sequence 100100100111. These bits are also how your processor does calculations. By using 32 bits your processor can represent numbers from 0 to 4,294,967,295 while a 64-bit machine can represent numbers from 0 to 18,446,744,073,709,551,615. Obviously this means your computer can do math with larger numbers, and be more efficient with smaller numbers.

Now see, that description wasn’t too bad, but the question is how does this affect you, the average PC owner? The largest benefit will go to academic institutions and private companies, where large calculations are being performed, huge databases are being accessed, and complex problems are being solved.

Everyone that doesn’t fall into that category will see some benefit of using 64 bit processors over 32 bit processors, but not much in today’s marketplace. The AMD Athlon 64-bit processor is completely backward compatible, meaning you can currently use it with 32-bit operating systems and software programs. You will see some benefits by using this setup, but because the programs weren’t written to take advantage of the extra power, they won’t use much of it.

The true benefits of this set up don’t come from the amount of bits, but by the improved structure of the 64 bit vs 32 bit processor's older structure. A 64-bit processor is made with more advanced silicon processes, have more transistors, and faster speeds. This is currently where the true benefit of switching to a 64-bit processor lays.

As for 64-bit operating systems and software, many are in the works, but nothing is in final version. Microsoft has released a beta version of Windows XP that takes advantage of the 64 bit technology, but there are still issues. The problem is when you run 32-bit software programs in the environment of a 64-bit operating system. Many programs won’t work properly, such as Adobe Acrobat and Windows Media Player, for example. Another issue is RAM. You really need about 4 GB of RAM to take full advantage of the capabilities offered by a 64-bit processor, while most PC owners have less than 1 GB under their computer’s hood.

So, the question now is should you buy a 64 bit processor now, or wait?

Disadvantages:

You’re currently not able to take full advantage of the technology because the software vendors haven’t made the switch from 32-bit to 64-bit processors.

Most AMD Athlon 64 bit processors are expensive, with prices sure to go down in the future.

Advantages:

Better performance out of a 32-bit operating system.

Probably the last processor you’ll have to buy for many years to come.

You’ll be the talk of all your friends!
As you can see, a sound argument can be made for both cases. You’ll have to determine if the differences will benefit your situation and computing future. I’ll leave the ultimate decision up to you.
Courtesy of, http://www.softwaretipsandtricks.com/

HomerJ

Reaction score
What is Difference between 32 BIT and 62 BIT?

They are different sizes of registers on the CPU and the amount of address space. A CPU with 64bit registers can operate on 64bit data values far easier than a CPU with smaller registers.

A larger address space means more RAM is accessible. On a 16bit computer, 2^16 bytes or 64KB of memory was addressable. Through segmentation they brought this number higher. With 32bits of address space, 2^32 bytes, or 4GB are addressable. With 64bits of address space 2^64 bytes (a massive amount) of memory is accessible. Of course, todays 64bit processors don't use true 64bit addressing, they only use 36 bits I think.

Daniel S

Reaction score
I have a 64bit processor but i only ever install 32 bit OS's as i don’t have any copies of 64bit OS and I don’t think it is worth upgrading as it will properly won’t make much difference

Sohail

Reaction score
I don't completely understand what 32 and 64 bit is but i would have to go for 64 bit.

We have 128 bit nower days you know.

FalseHope

Reaction score
Haha. Basically, normal people won't have them. Most people have 64 bit, I do believe.