A big mess!

xpodit

Reaction score
Okay, basically I have recently create a layout and decided I liked it enough to use it as my new site layout. The only problem, I did not expect to use the layout, so I did not really design the graphics very splice friendly.

I have the layout spliced into I believe nearly 30 images and set up as a 9 collumn table. The only problem I am having is that I can not set the main content or the navigation as text inside the actual table, it is set in a absolute positioned div. Now you might see that and say, "Well what is the problem?" I'll tell you, I HATE DIVS. Tables seem to be a little easier to use, and I hate sitting and moving boxes around pixel by pixel for hours at a time, just to get my text to show up inside my content box correctly.

Another dilema I have ran into is I would like to use PHP's switch/case function for my navigation, hopefuly for the fact that it might releave load times for low speed connections, without really having to lower the detail of the images.

The layout it's self is HERE

The original image is HERE

What I want is for the content box itself, along with the inner boarder to stretch with the content, but be seperate from the other content box at the same time.

The outside boarder (the fading boarder) to stay the original size, no stretching.

With the navigation, right panel, I was hoping to be able to create sections using the image I have there.

I have been trying to wrap my head around this for a few days now, and it is driving me crazy!

I know that part of this topic does belong in the graphics section, but I also needed help with the coding and only wanted to create one post to keep from confusing readers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Adam

freecrm

Reaction score
Firstly, you have to understand what the underlying table is doing, so just strip out, or comment out all the .css.

The you can see where your comment box should be in relation to the rest of the table.

Once you have that, just put a nested table into the correct cell (the one currently with the class "left content")

i.e. from

HTML:
<table>
<tr>
<td class = "leftcontent">this is where the div content has been overlaid</td>
</tr>
</table>

to

HTML:
<table>
<tr>
<td class = "leftcontent">
     <table>
     <tr>
     <td class = "whateverstyle">
     type your content here rather than in the div
     </td>
     </tr>
     </table>
</td>
</tr>
</table>

then the remainder of the .css can be replaced with the exception of the div content, which you can now insert directly into your nested table.

HOWEVER - I don't see the need to split these cells - why can't you just put your content intot he cell and use styling on the <td>'s? You may have to clarify your problem a bit.

Hope this helps a little to start off with.

Last edited:

Dan

Reaction score
First, can I say brilliant layout! Can you make me one like it? :)

I think the easiest thing for you to do would actually be to use divs...
Tables just don't work very well for complicated designs like yours.
If you wanted, I could do it for you...

xpodit

Reaction score
Well I really appreciate the help!! I havnt had the time the past few days to get anything done really but I have a week of nothing-ness so I hope I can finish it.

And Dan if you really want me to make you a template pm me the details and I can see what I can whip up.