A e-mail from IPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

nol888

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the best place to put it, but after getting a version of IPB that I thought was finally legal, I get this e-mail from IPS:
Sender Information:
Invision Power Services, Inc
piracy@invisionpower.com
1115 Vista Park Drive
Suite C
Forest, VA 24551

Please quote: ips-3697 in your correspondance.

Dear Valued Customer,

It has come to our attention that your board at colferhq.exofire.net is currently running
without a license key. A license key, when installed, enables us to quickly
verify your customer status.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
PLEASE VERIFY YOUR IPS LICENSED PRODUCT
To verify your IPS licensed product, simply visit the URL below and
complete the form. Remember, NEVER disclose your passwords!
The verification process is very quick and very straightforward.

http://www.ipslink.com/_piracy/index.php?component=piracy&do=validate&id=3697&key=1165017232
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for your prompt attention and cooperation regarding this matter. If you have any questions or concerns regarding this request, please email piracy@invisionpower.com.

Thank you,
Sincerely,

Piracy Dept.
Invision Power Services, Inc - Piracy Division
Can anyone check whether my board is legal, as I remember I had a slight problem with this in the past. Thanks. I downgraded to v2.0, which I though was legal, I may just remove the forums altogether.

YamiKaitou

Reaction score
2.0 Trial is the last free version I believe.

And, I just checked your board using this http://colferhq.exofire.net/forums/?ipscheck=1&key=ipscheck$1@@ and it just redirects back to the board index. That flags it as possibly illegal. Also, the IPS part at the bottom is not a link, which is also a flag.

If you believe that your version is legally bought, I would go to the link they provided or reply back to them

nol888

Reaction score
Um, I think it *is* a link, because I see it as a link, I don't know about you, I'll check out that ipscheck thing

YamiKaitou

Reaction score
There should be *2* links at the footer.
Powered by Invision Power Board v2.0.0 © 2007 IPS, Inc.
The "Invision Power Board" is supposed to be a link, and "IPS, Inc." is supposed to be a link.

nol888

Reaction score
I shall fix that, and they have sent a response to me stating that it is freeware, and I can use it. Can a mod please close this topic?

Brandon

Former Senior Account Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
Alright; please do what they say. I advice you disable your forum and *buy* a copy, or use something else, because if they find it there again, they will most likely contact the data center, which means Corey would have to take direct action in removing your account; or worse, suspend the entire server.

Last edited:

nol888

Reaction score
Oh, and I kinda fixed the ipscheck thing.

@Brandon, If they DO find it here again, they probably won't. I really don't feel like buying a copy, and they did state that it was fine to use it as freeware. I really don't feel like going through all the trouble surrounding this again, even though the first time was a mistake.

Last edited:

Brandon

Community Support
Reaction score
Oh, and I kinda fixed the ipscheck thing.

You can't kind of fix it, we now know this is nulled (yes, there are 2.0.0 trial nulled), please entirely fix it.

Last edited:

nol888

Reaction score
I appreciate your concern, but I don't really know how to REALLY fix it, a few sites I've checked out have "--" printed when I use the ipscheck=1, and they are the same version

Brandon

Community Support
Reaction score
I appreciate your concern, but I don't really know how to REALLY fix it, a few sites I've checked out have "--" printed when I use the ipscheck=1, and they are the same version

The way to fix it.

1. Change forum solutions
2. Buy IPB

The "--" indicates its a trial though!

I wouldn't risk and I recommend another program. IPB 2 is really outdated and could pose a security risk.

nol888

Reaction score
I'll consider changing forum solutions in the future, I'm kind of used to IPB however. Maybe in a few months I'll change it. Thanks

YamiKaitou

Reaction score
The ipscheck thing prints out the license information pulled from IPS servers (or something).

Also, I found this
When version 2.0 went final, Invision Power Board became a paid product.
And, since you are not using the Trial version, you are using the Final version. Thus making it a product that requires a paid license

nol888

Reaction score
Interesting. Almost all the boards on google that are powered by v2.0.0 say trial in the name, yet mine and http://www.imperialstyles.com doesn't. I wonder why. Plus, all the other boards display "--" when you ipscheck them

Starshine

Legend Killer
Reaction score
If you have an e-mail stating you are free to use the copy you have, it would be in the best interest to send a copy to Corey, explain what has happened and that at this point - IPB says you can use the copy you currently have without a need for a license.

They are the ones with the say if its legal or not to use. If you feel you don't want that hassle, then switch to a different forum software.

nol888

Reaction score
Ok, I'll send an e-mail to Corey, anyone know what address I can reach him at?

noerrorsfound

Reaction score
after getting a version of IPB that I thought was finally legal
Even the IPB trials are illegal to use if you download them anywhere other than IPS.

It seems to me like you searched for 2.0.0 since you knew it was a trial, and accidentally got a nulled copy. Even if this was a non-nulled trial, since you didn't download it from the official site then it's not legal to use.

It's not worth it to run such an old version of IPB anyway. SMF has way more features than 2.0.0 and is certainly a lot more secure.

I really don't feel like buying a copy, and they did state that it was fine to use it as freeware.
Are you sure that's what they said (referred to it as freeware?)? All free versions of IPB above v1.3.0 (yes, this includes v1.3.1) were intended to allow people to try IPB without limitations, although they said that once you're sure that you would like to use IPB then you are supposed to pay for it.

Last edited:

nol888

Reaction score
@noerrorsfound: I do think I will switch to SMF. And they DID say that it was freeware.
IPS said:
You may use the version you have as it was freeware.

@Everyone else: I sent an email via the "Contact Us" link with the whole e-mail.

Derek

Community Support Force
Community Support
Reaction score
I heard now IPB doesn't let even 1.3.1 run out thats why this one site which had it had to remove it..

Status
Not open for further replies.