A hillarious lenovo add.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
They completely insulted the MacBook Air with that one. I don't see why one would want to cram all of that USB and other devices into such a small space, but I suppose with the dawn of net books these days you can't get too large with your stuff.

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Their point was that the Macbook Air gave up a lot of functionality in order to be so thin. I really don't know what I'd do with a computer that couldn't burn DVDs. :)

kestrel1

Reaction score
Does seem a bit pointless not being able to burn disk's these days. Although saying that I use mostly USB drives anyhow.
I do like Lenovo machines though. My personal favourite.

kestrel1

Reaction score
Same with me. That's one of the reasons that that particular video was so funny to me. :D
I think I saw the add a while ago now & thought that it was good then. I am not against Mac's in anyway. I like a lot of the new design that Apple are coming up with, but I think they were on a bit of a loser with the macbook air. I have used the new mac's as part of my work & prefer them to the older macs that we running OS9.2. OSX is a much better OS.

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I think I saw the add a while ago now & thought that it was good then. I am not against Mac's in anyway. I like a lot of the new design that Apple are coming up with, but I think they were on a bit of a loser with the macbook air. I have used the new mac's as part of my work & prefer them to the older macs that we running OS9.2. OSX is a much better OS.
Yes, I absolutely did not intend to portray that I'm one of those mac haters, 'cause I'm not. I almost couldn't live with out my iTouch. But I think that mac just made a bad design in the air, and lenovo demonstrated it with a very clever and funny film.

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
Their point was that the Macbook Air gave up a lot of functionality in order to be so thin.

That is unfortunately what you get often times these days when you shoot for smaller things with heat generating hardware. You either have to reduce hardware, hardware size and/or hardware speed or the hardware maker has to spend a lot of money making their chips as efficient as possible, or suffer weight, size, or overheating. Apple was just trying to make a netbook so to speak that was powerful and meant for on the go work as all netbooks are made for, not something that will be permanently used like a desktop. That's why there are full sized notebooks with better hardware, more ports, etc which say on them they are desktop replacements. Of course knowing Apple, the MacBook Air has Wi-Fi in it and there is the ability to store things and send things via the Internet quickly these days (that depends on a lot of things as well) so they were probably tailoring towards that idea or just storing things on the hard drive until the user gets home to send it out via USB, or to a Time Capsule or such.

Last edited:

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Lol, you must be a mac fan then. I don't think the mac book air has a chance against the standard netbooks for 2 main reasons. 1) Netbooks are just that: they're small. Their 8" screens are one of the biggest selling points. They're easily portable in a bag or suitcase or on your lap where a full size is just too big. 2) Price. Netbooks are by nature cheap. $200 -$400 for most of them. I don't see what chance a $1500 notebook has against them if someone is just looking for a netbook.

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
Lol, you must be a mac fan then. I don't think the mac book air has a chance against the standard netbooks for 2 main reasons. 1) Netbooks are just that: they're small. Their 8" screens are one of the biggest selling points. They're easily portable in a bag or suitcase or on your lap where a full size is just too big. 2) Price. Netbooks are by nature cheap. $200 -$400 for most of them. I don't see what chance a $1500 notebook has against them if someone is just looking for a netbook.

I'm not a Mac/Apple fan (I don't own any Mac or any products except for an iPod Touch Gen 2 honestly.). If I were I wouldn't be building my own PCs and buying Windows or installing Linux. I'd be building my own PCs and hackintoshing or I'd buy a Mac and own every Apple product in existence. I just appreciate the things that Apple comes up with as they are just competing with the rest of the market. Heck without them I'm sure we wouldn't have had that large push for open networks and smart phones, at least not to the extent that is going on today. Look, we may all not agree on Apple's prices on their products, but the Apple vs. * battles are getting VERY old. I can't count how many I've seen over at GameTrailers and Facepunch.

Last edited:

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I didn't say Apple was inherently bad. They aren't. They have lots of great products, but I am more and more thinking that the macbook air is not one of them.

I mean, didn't that ad make it pretty clear that the lenovo being just slightly bigger (as it could still fit fine in the envelope) was better because it had all the extra features that the air didn't? And the lenovo was a whole ton cheaper too.

kestrel1

Reaction score
I'm not a Mac/Apple fan (I don't own any Mac or any products except for an iPod Touch Gen 2 honestly.). If I were I wouldn't be building my own PCs and buying Windows or installing Linux. I'd be building my own PCs and hackintoshing or I'd buy a Mac and own every Apple product in existence. I just appreciate the things that Apple comes up with as they are just competing with the rest of the market. Heck without them I'm sure we wouldn't have had that large push for open networks and smart phones, at least not to the extent that is going on today. Look, we may all not agree on Apple's prices on their products, but the Apple vs. * battles are getting VERY old. I can't count how many I've seen over at GameTrailers and Facepunch.
Lets face it all computers have their good & bad points, but what most users worry about is how fast it will be & if it can run all the programs that they want to use. I am a huge fan of open source, but even that can be lacking at times.
The designs by Apple are probably some of the best I have seen, but even they make mistakes.
Edit:
I didn't say Apple was inherently bad. They aren't. They have lots of great products, but I am more and more thinking that the macbook air is not one of them.

I mean, didn't that ad make it pretty clear that the lenovo being just slightly bigger (as it could still fit fine in the envelope) was better because it had all the extra features that the air didn't? And the lenovo was a whole ton cheaper too.
Yep, I am with you on that one.
I have always found that Lenovo have produced the goods.

Last edited: