A nifty alternative to cPanel's "Disk Space Usage"

Status
Not open for further replies.

xweb3x10

Reaction score
I like to be very conscientious (especially when getting something for free). Unfortunately, cPanel's "Disk Space Usage" simply does not work. The admins have said that this is a cPanel issue and will not be addressed. So I searched for a good alternative to easily keep tabs on my usage.

I found a great script called Disk Usage Reports by André Mekkawi and although installing it appears to be straightforward I certainly think at least somebody will benefit from my trials and errors. My Quick Start is at the bottom.

A screenshot of the author's demo:
DiskUsageReports-screenie.png

Quick Start (for use on x10):
  1. Download, upload and extract the zip file. For the purposes of this post we'll assume you've extracted to: public_html/reports
  2. Create a Cron job. I suggest not setting it to run any more frequently than you'll actually use it.
    /bin/bash /home/username/public_html/reports/scripts/find.sh /home/username/public_html | /usr/local/bin/php /home/username/public_html/reports/scripts/process.php /home/username/public_html/reports/data/myreport
  3. View the report using your browser. http://yoursite.com/reports/?myreport
That should be it. Hope this is useful for the community.

Edit: If the time stamp of the report is other than what it should be then check your error log. I noticed that the process can hit a memory limit. I have set the cron jon to run during non-peak load times of day. You might need to also take advantage of the author's suggestion of splitting up the processes. For my purposes, as long as I have a report that is withing a day or two I'll be fine but other people may need more timely, or more more frequent reports. ~xweb3x10.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.