A particular subdomain won't create

satorix3

Reaction score
I have a free account with a custom domain name loading to it via the nameservers here, and have successfully for years.

Using x10hosting.com/panel/services as directed per the recent login notice, I have attempted to add a new, desired subdomain to it.

The creation process balks with the error, 'Another user owns this domain'.

As it's my own purchased domain name, this seems unlikely.

I've tried adding another, undesired subdomain via this method and it 'took' successfully. I then deleted it.

I have, and had, just the one default x10 domain name listed. My custom domain name still redirects to it as desired. But the subdomain will not create.

Could this be a leftover residual vestige from either a former creation attempt I did years ago, a result of x10's recent transition process, or both?

And how would we sort this?

ctyrd

Reaction score
Hello satorix3

Subdomain for domain you own will probable have to be created by dns. Then redirected to a directory in public_html by php.

[Added] There is a subdomain manager in the hosting control panel. Default path to document root. Option for custom path.

Last edited:

spacresx

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
you cannot add subdomains to a custom (paid domain) that way.
adding subdomains can only be done for your x10 domain name

to add subdomains to your domain you paid for, you have to go that domain host to create subdomains.
i think you need to create a domain pointer to the subdomain to get it to work with x10.

if you want to create a subdomain of your x10 domain you can do that also.
go to your x10 dashboard then subdomain management, and click add subdomain.
keep in mind that only effects your x10 domain name not the purchased domain name.

satorix3

Reaction score
to add subdomains to your domain you paid for, you have to go that domain host to create subdomains.

I appreciate your reply.

The instructions from that domain provider say they don't apply if I'm using an external (i.e, x10's) nameservers instead.

Their's say it's over here, here (at least from your reply) says it's over there.

I do know within the account with them, the place I'm supposed to be able to edit it doesn't show that, and says instead,

'You can manage host records in your cPanel account, or transfer DNS back to Nameche█p BasicDNS to manage the records here.'

And there is no cPanel on their account, as I'm not doing hosting with them, just here.

satorix3

Reaction score
The cPanel here does list the subdomain as already existing, which explains a few things.

The subdomain presents an error page hosted from here.

> 'i think you need to create a domain pointer to the subdomain to get it to work with x10.'

That seems increasingly likely. Given the current remodel, should I try that in cPanel or are we still to avoid using that for this kind of thing?

[Edit: cPanel appears to have been effective, and the subdomain is working correctly. Kind thanks for your assistance.]

Last edited:

ctyrd

Reaction score
I reached the subdomain lexicon.your.tld

In the hosting control panel (direct admin) under account manager >> subdomain management. You should be able to manage the subdomain path.

satorix3

Reaction score
Yes, I had done it successfully through DirectAdmin here.

Then the subdomain hosting site, though it was working, complained that they were 'A records' and not 'CNAME records' and suggested I do CNAME instead.

I removed the A's, put in CNAME, and the whole subdomain quit working. Replacing the CNAMEs with what I'd had originally with the A records doesn't seem to have 'taken', though I know it can take about half an hour for the revisions to propagate. But for a while it did work!

[Edit: Redid the process again and now it's working via 'A records'. The sitehost for the subdomain can just keep quietly complaining I guess.]

Last edited:

spacresx

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
personally i never really got along with changing the DNS settings it can be more than troublesome at times.
but i have done it a few times in the past.

note: whenever you make DNS changes it can take 1 to 72+ hours to propagate.
i know many tell you its just a few hrs but they dont tell you the full detail.
i recall having it take 5 days for my paid .com website to propagate in the past.
so just be aware it can take a long to fully propagate.

maybe staff can correct me.....
i think (not 100 % sure) that CNAME records are intended for tld's (top level domains)
like this yoursite.com to point yoursite.com to your x10 account you need to change the ns records
that are at your domain names hosting. where you have yoursite.com registered.
the NS.1 and NS.2 for example would be the ones you need to change to x10s NS.1 and NS.2 settings.
that would make your yoursite.com link open your x10 host files.

A records i think can be used to link up sub-directories. (can wait for staff to verify)
i use a free service like FreeDNS to easily link to other parts of my x10 website.
although it only works with http forwards/redirects you can easily use it for tld or sub-folders.
just an alternative to ease confusion of all the DNS stuff.