A question about Multiple Monitors

sandogg

Reaction score
I have a Gainward 9400Gt (NVIDIA) with a Dual Link DVI (DVI-DL) and a VGA port. I currently have two 17" monitors hooked up, one to the DVI port and one to the VGA port in extended desktop configuration

I would like to add a third Monitor (which would be VGA, 15") as a clone of the desktop.
Is this possible with my current setup by using a DVI-DL to DVI-I and VGA splitter cable to add the third monitor.

Is this actually possible?

I also have onboard ATI graphics but I don't suppose I would be able to use the NVIDIA graphics at the same time as the ATI one.
The other option would be to add another NVIDIA graphics card but that would mean also buying a new mobo as my current one has only one PICe x16 slot.

So what I want to know is wheter I can just split the dual link DVI to add a third monitor as a clone of the desktop.

Also one of my friends told me that would not actually work (have a third monitor as clone)because the motitor would have to support the resolution of the current desktop i.e in extended mode currently I have 2560x1024. Is that true?

OS is currently Ubuntu/Linux Mint but could switch to XP/Vista/Windows 7 if it won't work in Linux.

Last edited:

kuttappayi

Reaction score
Iam not sure about Ubuntu/Linux. But it works on XP/Vista. Not tried tht on W7

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
It should work just fine in linux.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
For what I know, though you can split a DVI port to go to a second monitor, it'll lower the signal power substantially, and it will simply clone your desktop for that one port, not expand it. Your best bet to expanding your desktop would be to pick up another GeForce card and install it, or see if you can get it to interact with the ATi on-board you have. As per resolution, you can in fact run the screens at different resolutions except for the ones you're splitting. The one you're splitting must be running at modes and resolutions that both monitors can support and handle.

I'm going by with my knowledge on how it works in Windows Vista. My Linux box is running on an old, slow PC since all it has to do is act as a network router and a light server for some things.

Last edited:

sandogg

Reaction score
Thanks guys,
It would be quite easy to buy a splitter cable and see, seeing they are not expensive.
Unfortunately I wont be able to do this till the end of June, as not home at the moment.
I'll put a post up here when I am able to.