A rant I have been wanting to say for a long time...

Status
Not open for further replies.

PSP-Heaven

Reaction score
Not trying to be mean, but exactly why do peaople get the 2.5 gb of server space, if they only use 5 MB? I mean, I see alot of site space going to waste, I have planned out exactly how to use up my space, entirely and nicely, without having to be greedy and taking the big package. The only reason that *might* make me go up is the mySQL databases. I mean, seriously, my website has already 100 MB done with, and I registered not so long ago, yet I see these people, with websites that look like crap, hasn't been worked on, you can clearly see that it hasn't been worked on, yet they request the most largest package!?

Does that piss any of you admin/moderators out there? Because it surely pisses me off. I like going and seeing people websites, maybe registering if the site is appealing, but of the 25 or so sites I have been, only about 7 of them has been actually developed on, and about three of those looks like if they REALLY spent some time on it. I see most of the Suspended websites, are xCorporate plans! Yet, when they got unsuspended, I check out there site, and just wish that it was suspended again for making my eyes hurt at the crappiness. Im sorry if I have offended people, but I had to get this out in the open.

Cynical

Reaction score
They might be storing files for themselves that aren't available to the public, or maybe they need the extra databases or something... but I'm sure that there are plenty of people that just want the biggest package available ;) .

N

Nathan

It pisses me off in a way that server resources are wasted... That's about it. They order, we serve.

PSP-Heaven

Reaction score
True, but it still pisses me off greatly. Why can't they get the damn xStatic if they know themselves the don't have the time/or the files big enough to waste the big dogs. I mean, people these days are getting greedy. 1 GB is great with me, also the 20 GB bandwith, its the best, and I need not more! Its true though, they order, we serve, isn't that money wasted though? I can see why new rules must be implied (automatic banning on accounts suspended more than once because of no ads), to stop these leechers from leeching. Hey, leechers, want to leach something? Go to a damn torrent site.

Cynical

Reaction score
Dewayne said:
It pisses me off in a way that server resources are wasted... That's about it. They order, we serve.
Nothing's really being wasted though... if someone has extra free disk space, it's not like it is "filled up" and unusable, same goes with other resources.

PSP-Heaven

Reaction score
I like you website, I can tell you spent some time on it! Yes, but the space can be put to better use, for example, make a script, that shows if the user is over a month registered, and user lower than 5% diskspace, he/she gets contacted, downgraded whatever to a lower plan until they reach 50% diskspace. This to me will actually put YOUR "extra disk space" to better use.

EDIT: A question about your downloads section, where can I get something like that? That counts times clicked, etc. I've been looking for a nice download manager, that doesn't mess up your template, just shows the information in text.

Last edited:

Conor

Reaction score
PSP-Heaven said:
The only reason that *might* make me go up is the mySQL databases.

Does that piss any of you admin/moderators out there?
1. mySQL space doesn't count towards your web space.
2. I can't see why your pissed off. Corey is the one paying for this every month and people hardly do anything around here to make it feel like its worthwhile. Ad clicks and incoming revenue are at an all time low because of all the greedy people who come to the site just for the hosting and don't take any time to think about where this all came from. It didn't just pop out of thin air. Corey pays for it monthly and needs all the help he can get.

Think about it and try to help out. :)

N

Nathan

Conor said:
2. I can't see why your pissed off. Corey is the one paying for this every month and people hardly do anything around here to make it feel like its worthwhile. Ad clicks and incoming revenue are at an all time low because of all the greedy people who come to the site just for the hosting and don't take any time to think about where this all came from. It didn't just pop out of thin air. Corey pays for it monthly and needs all the help he can get.

The fee is around $750 for all the servers (last time I checked)

Last edited by a moderator:

Jake

Developer
Contributors
Reaction score
um its about $550-600ish a month for the 2 servers that are up and the instant account one so yah... server is also overloaded, you know that we wouldn't be able to order a new server to just place 40 2.5gb accounts on, it still works fine, but you shouldnt ever really need to use more than a few hundred (maybe a gig) of space on free hosting.

oh and you know what pisses me off more than people getting a large account like the corprate one and never using anything on it is people who get corprate and advanced and dont place the banner ad. i think most staff can agree that we've had enough the past few months... people either put the banners on or they will be terminated immediately. its not that hard to put 1 banner up in exchange for great free hosting you'll never find anywere else.

Last edited:

The_Magistrate

Reaction score
Jake said:
people either put the banners on or they will be terminated immediately. its not that hard to put 1 banner up in exchange for great free hosting you'll never find anywere else.

Amen brother! Lately people like that have been coming out of the wood-work... They've been a member at x10 for months, only submitted 2 posts on these forums and they complain that their account was suspended for not having ads. I really have no sympathy for people like that; all they do is take, take, take.

I've been amazed lately at how incompetent some members are here at x10. What is it about "an ad on every page" that people don't get?! The ones that piss me off the most are the ones who use a CMS or forum and think it's an excuse to not have ads up. If you don't know how to put the ads on those pages... don't have them on your site!

PSP-Heaven

Reaction score
True, to be truthful, my account was suspended for not having ads. I didn't know it counted forums, and PHP Browser-Based games. But as soon as my website goes up, im fixing that! This hosting is the best, and I hope Cory isn't overloaded by the bunch of assholes who order the 2.5 gigs and don't use it. Because I personally don't want to happen here what happen to dragonhosting.biz.
Conor said:
1. mySQL space doesn't count towards your web space.
I mean mySQL databases, the corporate has three, I think I have used two already, if I didn't have a Perl based forum, I would be using three. That's what I mean the only reason I would upgrade. More mySQL databases.

Also, to the person about account termination, that isn't a good thing. First, when people change CMS, templates, layouts, etc., sometime we got to do all the ads all over again, thats what happened to me. Also, sometimes the AD script can accidentally call a false alarm, and terminating an account on that would suck. I just think, First time, four days, then everytime after the first, add 2 more days, until you get to the point of termination.

Last edited:

Cynical

Reaction score
I mean mySQL databases, the corporate has three, I think I have used two already, if I didn't have a Perl based forum, I would be using three. That's what I mean the only reason I would upgrade. More mySQL databases.
A forum doesn't use up a whole database, only one table on that database, so really you could have more than one table in the database and have a few things in one database (Alejandro recomended that to someone a while back).

PSP-Heaven

Reaction score
Oh, I did that with my PHP games, and scripts, though a forum was more advanced, but this is a bit off topic. Back on topic, anyone experience the same blood-curdling attitude i feel when I think of this?

Jacob

Reaction score
It surely makes me mad. I mean, come on! As an account manager, I get to review most of the sites, and it is almost shocking how many of those sites have the Corporate plan and their site is very small and downright ugly. Those people are also the people that get suspended time and time again for violating the ToS and then proceed to complain the most. That's probably part of the reason Corey made the new termination no-tolerance policy. We need to weed those people out so the users that are serious can have a thriving website.

Chris Z

Reaction score
alright this is getting ugly, i knew corey payed a lot each month, but $750? wow that's rediculously generous of him! i hope the paid accounts help at all.

but from now on, whenever i enter the forums, i pledge to click on some ads at least once, i'm not sure how much that will help, i hope it contributes a couple more cents lol, i wish i had a paypal account so i could donate or something! man, i wish i could do more!

btw, what exactly do we do with the ads that gives X10 money? is it just clicking them or do you have to complete an offer or something.

also-i haven't noticed but do we have a paypal account we could donate to, i mean is there like a button we could put on here and then people could donate to corey's account?

Last edited:

PSP-Heaven

Reaction score
Yes, see, but then there comes a problem with the termination policy. Then Cory is punishing the people who are innocent. Why should the people who really are using the webspace, and really want to stay, get terminated? I think, for this termination policy, you set a couple of trusted users, that check websites periodically, and also checks the website when a person gets suspended.

Cynical

Reaction score
Why should the people who really are using the webspace, and really want to stay, get terminated?
Because they are breaking the TOS.

N

Nathan

I'm still debating whether or not to lock this topic... This is less of a feedback and rant against the bad users than flame wars with others.

And it's Corey. With an E.

Jacob

Reaction score
Yes, PSP, you bring up some very good points. However, if a person is using their webspace for things they should be, who have a good quality website with a good design, and they don't have ads up correctly, it's their own fault. If their website is good and they are putting their space towards good use, then they should know how to get the ads up. It's no ones fault but their own if they don't have the ads up, which is the general basis of our termination policy.
Edit: Don't worry, Dewayne. I will close it for you ;) If you guys wanna debate this, start a new topic in Crossfire.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.