A Smaller Skin

Chirantha

Reaction score
Hi,

Its VERY unfair that this Skin is very big. Most people don't have ADSL. Most are on Dial-ups and this forum I have to say is VERY VERY SLOW. Its not the Server but all these images etc. etc. It seem to be Pre-loading the site. The New Topic Aria has tooooo many images to preload and show and that WISI (Some word like that) adon it slowing it down more and more.

I am stayed here for 2 months and my posts are very low. At forums.roxr.com I have made 70 posts in less than two weeks (Now at 87) thats more than 4 posts a day. And I can't post here because it a big pain of wating for the page to load.

If there was away to selet a different skin (A realy simple one). Dialup Users will be happy.

I hope you'll understand because its really bugging me :(.

Thank you,
Chirantha

P.S. Your Support Rooks but the board that is used is very slow.

hartap

Reaction score
actually i'm using dialup and come from indonesia where internets are very slow (max 40kbps) and i just use my old computer (cann't afford a new one) But... i dont have problem to forum skin....slow i don't know... compare to forums.roxr.com ..? same i think....
maybe the problem with your browser cache... in roxr because you regularly go there, your browser cache the image in your drive, so it will speed your connection. But in here because rarely visit the forum (maybe 1 a week) so your browser not cache all the image, that's will slow down your connection...

Chirantha

Reaction score
If you didn't know the meta tag <meta http-equiv="Pragma" content="no-cache" /> disables the browser caching :). If you are using firefox it might be a little fast but I hate firefox.

A page on this forum takes 4-5 secounds to load. This page it self is 67 KB (Without the Graphics) and My meximem speed it 4 KB/s Humm........ thats a very large page. and also the Topic List has a small Tool Tip Displaying the Message inside this means that there will be more text and more the text more the size of the page.

These are the things that are causing a huge slow down. :(

hartap

Reaction score
uff. i dont know that :wtcslap: ...
yes you right... im using mozilla, because i'm using linux os.

Richard

Reaction score
If you don't mind disabling the images that will give you a much better speed. Besides the web is about infomation not looks :)

Firefox has a better cache system that why its faster.

Last edited:

Chirantha

Reaction score
What I'm saying is to install another simple skin to this board (I don't think thats very hard). This is the only forum I have trouble.

dsfreak

Reaction score
Lol [offtopic] I have been to Indonesia, and Jakarata all the same, I like it in Indonesia, not so much Jakarta.....[/offtopic]
Anyhow, when I had myself on dialup, it loaded fine, and I had firefox, which is porbably why. Richard is right, firefox owns with it's cache system. All the same, x10 could instal another skin, so ALL the users would have a choice of skins, as persoanlly, I think x10 needs a make-over, lol.

XUnreal

Reaction score
im on 8mg and i dont have a problem :bigok: hi at all you 18th century 56kers!!!

dino-m

Reaction score
I use ADSL 384 kbps! Before ADSL I use dial-up 56 kbps and it was loading very fast

Alejandro

Staff
Staff member
Community Support
Reaction score
I have Cable, but I have accessed x10 with a dial up connection and the site is fast, it must be you.

samtong

Reaction score
Is it possible to have like a lo fi and a hi fi of the board? Not sure which system that forumwas running on. Users could choose to have all the extras or just the texts.

theblazingangel

Prime Account
Reaction score
hmm, looking at the code, i think putting the css in a seperate file would help a lot.
the css from this page is around 7KB which is around 1/8 of this entire page.

because the css code is imbeded in the page its being reloaded evertime you view a new page. if you put it in a seperate file it can be loaded from the cache and make a large speed improvement for those with low speed connections.

i think also a re-design using div's rather than tables would also help a lot too!

[edit]
it would also be nice if it validated properly!
http://www.x10hosting.com/ has 11 errors - see here
http://www.x10hosting.com/showthread.php?p=63674 has 76 errors! - see here

and the first is validating as html 4.01, while the second as xhtml 1.0 trans. it would be good to be consistant, and remove the remaining html styling that remains here and there.
[/edit]

Last edited:

Chirantha

Reaction score
theblazingangel said:
hmm, looking at the code, i think putting the css in a seperate file would help a lot.
the css from this page is around 7KB which is around 1/8 of this entire page.

because the css code is imbeded in the page its being reloaded evertime you view a new page. if you put it in a seperate file it can be loaded from the cache and make a large speed improvement for those with low speed connections.

i think also a re-design using div's rather than tables would also help a lot too!

[edit]
it would also be nice if it validated properly!
http://www.x10hosting.com/ has 11 errors - see here
http://www.x10hosting.com/showthread.php?p=63674 has 76 errors! - see here

and the first is validating as html 4.01, while the second as xhtml 1.0 trans. it would be good to be consistant, and remove the remaining html styling that remains here and there.
[/edit]

You are correct!

im on 8mg and i dont have a problem :bigok: hi at all you 18th century 56kers!!!

I am very sad that there are rude people here on this forum. He must understand that if 56K users had money they wont be on a it. Just because you can affored it does not mean that others can too. :(

I use ADSL 384 kbps! Before ADSL I use dial-up 56 kbps and it was loading very fast

Yes if you are in a devoloped contry (that the phone lines are maintaned correctly) 56K will receive about 10KB but here I only get 5KB MAX.

I have Cable, but I have accessed x10 with a dial up connection and the site is fast, it must be you.

No its not! Sorry but this is not the only forum I have been to that uses VB (They were very fast).

If you don't mind disabling the images that will give you a much better speed. Besides the web is about infomation not looks :)

But you still have to load the page. Thats waiting for the long CSS to load.