A suggestion

theislandcrew

Reaction score
I'm aware that x10hosting has two more powerful and non-free hosting plans. The free hosting plan as it is, is fantastic.

However, I think it's better to bring back the advertisements (Google text ads or banner ads), even if they're optional. In essence, if a webmaster would like to place ads on his/her website, the person should have the option.

I'm willing to order an ad placed at the bottom of my website to help out with the server cost.

Again, just a suggestion.

henk506673

Reaction score
you can already do that with joomla banner adds and html code. i am not sure how to do it because the websites i make i do not want to have adds on my site but if you want it there is probably already a way to do that.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
you can already do that with joomla banner adds and html code. i am not sure how to do it because the websites i make i do not want to have adds on my site but if you want it there is probably already a way to do that.

What he means though is x10hosting used to have 2 Ad-Enhanced plans with ad code that displayed x10hosting's ads. One was a banner, the other was a text link. TBH, I can see bringing them back, but I'm also not sure what it'd take to bring them back - there's a todo list a mile long as it is :(

henk506673

Reaction score
not quite, what i meant is that when you do a fresh installation of joomla through softalicious and install the sample pages, there are joomla banner adds and other joomla adds, there is probably a way to change those into your own but as i stated i do not know how to do this nor do i want this on any of my websites. so you are on your own

Interscopia

x10 Caffeine Addict
Prime Account
Reaction score
I think having the option to have them displayed on your site is a very good idea. It would almost certainly increase website hits for advertisers and wouldn't come with the downside of having them there permanently. I like this suggestion.

henk506673

Reaction score
that is true but think about the visual appearance of your site. it would be ruined by all of the adds that would be on it.

Interscopia

x10 Caffeine Addict
Prime Account
Reaction score
If it was optional, and you didn't like the ads being on your site for whatever reason (Maybe they look bad/they're messing up your website template), then you could disable them.

Skizzerz

Contributors
Staff member
Contributors
Reaction score
The reason (or one of the reasons, rather) we stopped with the ad-enhanced plans was because of the manual reviews required to ensure that your site was actually running the ads. As there is no automated way to ensure 100% that you placed the ad correctly and it is actually appearing on the webpage (for example, css could be used to hide the ad, and an automated script would have a difficult time with detecting that). As such, someone here had to manually review your site every few weeks to make sure that the ad was still there, and given the sheer number of users that we have, that isn't really an option anymore.

How the old plans worked was as such: you had 4 options when signing up, adfree, and 3 ad-enhanced. Each of the ad-enhanced got more elaborate on the ad required (the basic one was just a text ad that you can place anywhere, whereas the final one was a flash banner that was required to be on the top of the website). Depending on what plan you chose, your features (disk space, bandwidth, sql databases) changed.