about Game Developing

pog66655

Reaction score
Hello, I started developing a game with UDK, and i finished a demo version of it. i was doing it for fun. but now since i get lots of good feedbacks i am wondring if i am going to finish it commercially. but i cannot do it with UDK since i have to pay a large amount of money to buy the software ( i heard its around 5000$ for the basic parts) so, does anyone have any idea, if i can develop this same thing using some other low level tools such as OGRE, OpenAL.. like things.. i mean, will i be able to get a good quality.......
I know this may sound a joke.. but i am very new to game developing...

jcscherer82

Reaction score
Well I just have to say this. From reading their website you will only have to pay them if you sell it commercially. And even if you do that then you have to pay $99.99 for the licensing fee and then the first 5000 dollars you make is free. After that you have to pay %25 royalty fee. This does not seem unreasonable considering that you are using the unreal 3 engine which is just amazing. So if I were you, I would just go for it. :)

pog66655

Reaction score
hey, thanks for all.. i would also like to do that.. thanks again.. now i have to find if there are any other things i have to watchout for , like if i have to pay for scaleform menu system and all...
thanks.. :)

Reaction score
Also for lower level tools, like ogre and stuff, you still need to pay for a license, just because they are lower level doesn't mean they're free for commercial use. I don't know your programming capabilities either, but in the end whatever you make in unreal you also make in lower level engines, but it will take a lot more work to do so (writing all the programming, making shaders, implementing physics, making art, seriously not a one man job, trust me). I do an education in game art, but I deal with programmers and game design as well, at school we use ogre for our current project and with a team of 7 people it's still a lot of work.
Anyway, I advice you to continue using UDK knowing what I know ;)

Last edited:

ncc1701d

Reaction score
My opinion is I think they are taking advantage of your desire to make games commmercially to get 99 out of you. First you pay 99 bucks right away and if your lucky to sell enough to make the 5000 dollars, then you get to keep profits. My first observation of your game "The Curse of Thaprobana" is that it might not be easy to make the 5000 without improvements. You need to do some marketing analysis and compare your work to other developers. I tryed using Game Studio which is good and not costly. Its free. You might try that. I would continue learning UDK though and develop your level building skills art wise at least. Keep in mind the first person shooter is saturated in the market so selling might be difficult and this is with high end and low end developers.

Last edited:

vv.bbcc19

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Hello, I started developing a game with UDK, and i finished a demo version of it. i was doing it for fun. but now since i get lots of good feedbacks i am wondring if i am going to finish it commercially. but i cannot do it with UDK since i have to pay a large amount of money to buy the software ( i heard its around 5000$ for the basic parts) so, does anyone have any idea, if i can develop this same thing using some other low level tools such as OGRE, OpenAL.. like things.. i mean, will i be able to get a good quality.......
I know this may sound a joke.. but i am very new to game developing...

Can you please help me what UDK is?
If you have not already bought it,with what software could you develop such nice games.I saw your images.They were nice.
Regards,
VVBB